Relphorde

dewey33

How can anyone compare any former coaches ability to recruit to RM's when all they had was the West Pine Gym to show recruits. Romar had more top 50 recruits willing to visit than any other aslu coach. If Chafeitz had been available to Romar, we would have possibly gotten recruits as talented as the ones he has gotten at Washington.

Spoon and Grawer got better recruits than Romar despite our facilities. The excuses for Romar amaze me........

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Billiken Fans are always hopeful but there is little evidense to back up such hope. I just remember such great student athletes as Randy Pulley, and the always enigmatic Floyd Mcclain.

There was thin beer left when Romar bolted and Hollins left. It seems like Hollins is the recruit that everyone is willing to give Romar a lot of credit over since he went on to UCLA. I say Romar was headed for a fall with several academic casualities (Edwin and Pulley) and scampered.......

Good points. We do know he would have at least brought us Ahearn, who would have come in handy on those Fisher/Sloan teams and beyond.

Count me in the camp who thinks that had Romar just stuck around a few more years, the talent level would have gotten exponentially better. He was just starting to get a feel for how to recruit at SLU when he left.

I agree with Box on this one. We would had Ryan Hollins who I believe would have been a great start and could been the first of many. Unfortunately, Washington needed a coach and probably would have been the only BCS school that would have offered him because it was his alma mater. They took a chance and lucked out.

I always said we should built the Chaifetz in 1998, right after the Hughes year. We were still the toast of the town. Economy was good back then and donations would poured in. Back then we probably would have built it to hold 15,000. This might have kept Spoon.

I agree with Box on this one. We would had Ryan Hollins who I believe would have been a great start and could been the first of many. Unfortunately, Washington needed a coach and probably would have been the only BCS school that would have offered him because it was his alma mater. They took a chance and lucked out.

I always said we should built the Chaifetz in 1998, right after the Hughes year. We were still the toast of the town. Economy was good back then and donations would poured in. Back then we probably would have built it to hold 15,000. This might have kept Spoon.

Hollins would've been great as a Billiken but I believe he'd have needed a supporting cast too. Maybe Romar would've replaced his academic casualties with good players but maybe not......

If Chaifetz had been built in 1998 we'd be talking about our final four banners instead of bitching about Romar. I really thought he was a good guy but my recollection of the state of our program as he left it was not pleasant. I think Brad get blamed for a lot of the Romar fallout......

Hollins would've been great as a Billiken but I believe he'd have needed a supporting cast too. Maybe Romar would've replaced his academic casualties with good players but maybe not......

If Chaifetz had been built in 1998 we'd be talking about our final four banners instead of bitching about Romar. I really thought he was a good guy but my recollection of the state of our program as he left it was not pleasant. I think Brad get blamed for a lot of the Romar fallout......

It's hard to say what would have happened had Romar stayed, but he did leave Brad with a pretty nice core group of players:

Perry

Sloan

Kenny Brown

Fisher

Chris Braun

Soderberg went out and got Izik and Drejaj, along with Reggie Bryant and JJ when he first came in. Romar would have brought us Hollins, Ahearn and who knows who else. Perhaps Reggie and Izik would have come anyway - Reggie was sold on SLU by his Villanova teammate/Valley Park grad Philip Buchanon, and Izik was discovered by one of Brad's connections (since Brad would have still been an assistant at SLU, we might have still gotten him).

(BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative, Rich, it's just kind of fun to play "What if?" with this.)