Dwayne Evans goes for 24, 16, 6, and 3. - Chicago Tribune Articlw

For-DaLove

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highs...0,3703836.story

It's always nice to see recruits making an impact.

I like this kids size, and the prospect of how he may help at the 3 in years to come.

You can put up points all you want and have all the skills in the world... We need kids who are going to give it their all. Evans sounds like that kid. I love him more and more.

It is nice that these articles in the Chicago area about McCall and Evans mention that they are going to SLU.

Lots of kids want the go away to college experience and we are an easy train ride and an even cheaper bus ride home if a kid needs to see his family

It is nice that these articles in the Chicago area about McCall and Evans mention that they are going to SLU.

I agree and it is very nice to see this young man have the confidence to talk at length to the reporter and give us a real glimpse of his personality. "They may be bigger and more athletic but we played with more heart" I love him already!

I agree and it is very nice to see this young man have the confidence to talk at length to the reporter and give us a real glimpse of his personality. "They may be bigger and more athletic but we played with more heart" I love him already!

this guy scored a 31 on the act as well.

Recruiting Chicago will always be important for SLU. Moser's high school is very close to Evans' school.

Evans will need to continue to develop his handle and his perimeter game for SLU. His strengths are attacking the basket for both scoring and rebounding. He rebounds very well in and out of area. He's typical of a kid his size being mostly an interior high school player who has the potential to be an inside outside 3, wing, in college. Some think he is a tweener. Others see him getting better and better and see him as great value. He's showing that hard work can take you a long way given good enough skill set. He sees the floor well, understands the game. It'll take Evans 1-2 years to be an impact contributor. Improving his footwork for the next level will be a focus area.

LaVonte Dority is considered the point on McCall's team. McCall is considered an undersized 2 guard. But again, he can play. He's a combo guard. McCall will be more impactful earlier do to his quickness, athleticism and skill set. He should eventually be SLU's starting point guard and until then he'll get time at both the 1 and the 2.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highs...0,3703836.story

It's always nice to see recruits making an impact.

I like this kids size, and the prospect of how he may help at the 3 in years to come.

Although 1 inch doesn't seem like much, in basketball terms the difference between 6'5" and 6'4" seems significant. It appears that Evans will be a 3 and I would much rather have a 6'5" #3 than one an inch shorter. We all know that contrary to all medical rationale, MBB players coming to SLU actually shrink 1-2 inches between their HS commencement and their reporting day for college.

Really, if all the reports referred to Evans as a 6'4" small forward, wouldn't we all be concerned about him being too small to play that position?

Everything I've read on Evans and McCall makes me pretty excited for next year-so long as CE is close to the player we think he is. Adding Loe would be nice, giving us a true big in three straight recruiting classes (WR/CE/RL). The only missing piece is a consistent 3 pt. shooter. It would be great if CS and hopefully JR can fill that role next year.

Although 1 inch doesn't seem like much, in basketball terms the difference between 6'5" and 6'4" seems significant. It appears that Evans will be a 3 and I would much rather have a 6'5" #3 than one an inch shorter. We all know that contrary to all medical rationale, MBB players coming to SLU actually shrink 1-2 inches between their HS commencement and their reporting day for college.

Really, if all the reports referred to Evans as a 6'4" small forward, wouldn't we all be concerned about him being too small to play that position?

Everything I've read on Evans and McCall makes me pretty excited for next year-so long as CE is close to the player we think he is. Adding Loe would be nice, giving us a true big in three straight recruiting classes (WR/CE/RL). The only missing piece is a consistent 3 pt. shooter. It would be great if CS and hopefully JR can fill that role next year.

That isn't a SLU only thing in terms of height. Evans' height won't be an issue. The question is how long will it take him to develop a perimter game at the next level, in terms of handle, shooting, defense, etc..? My guess is two years.

Take a look at Wes Matthews of Marquette. He's started an awful lot of games as a rookie this year for the Utah Jazz due to injuries and he's done very well. He's no taller than 6'5 tops. It took him 3 years to develop a complete inside outside college game. He became a serious weapon at the 3, and started playing some 2 and 1. He worked hard on his d, shooting, handle, etc..mid_range, then deeper, always a plus rebounder. It was an adjustment. And now at the next level he's been playing the 2 and the 1.

Now, Evans does not have the same athleticism, and that's a whole other situation, but that would be something to aspire to in a smaller way and model your game after heading into college. So, Evans will need a couple of seasons to develop a consistent mid-range game, then deep perimter game, while being a good rebounder, defense, etc...and attacking the basket.

No, because it's actually not that the players shrink, but Majerus just lists accurate heights and/or understates them slightly. Also, there's a difference between someone's height in bare feet and in shoes. I bet Majerus measures them in bare feet, but most people use their height including their shoes (after all, when you go to Steak 'n' Shake and see the height indicator on the doorframe, if you use that to estimate how tall a person is to describe him/her to police, you're going to have to take that person's shoes into account). Also, Majerus probably truncates rather than round up. If Dwayne Evans is 6' 3.75" in bare feet and shoes add an inch, you see where Majerus will call Evans 6-3 when he's been saying 6-5.

But the main thing is that on the court Evans, listed at 6-3, will be able to play just fine with guys listed at 6-5 or 6-6, because they're really the same height or just an inch or so taller.

So, no, it doesn't concern me. But don't be surprised to find him listed at 6-3, even lower than 6-4.

That isn't a SLU only thing in terms of height. Evans' height won't be an issue. The question is how long will it take him to develop a perimter game at the next level, in terms of handle, shooting, defense, etc..? My guess is two years.

Take a look at Wes Matthews of Marquette. He's started an awful lot of games as a rookie this year for the Utah Jazz due to injuries and he's done very well. He's no taller than 6'5 tops. It took him 3 years to develop a complete inside outside college game. He became a serious weapon at the 3, and started playing some 2 and 1. He worked hard on his d, shooting, handle, etc..mid_range, then deeper, always a plus rebounder. It was an adjustment. And now at the next level he's been playing the 2 and the 1.

Now, Evans does not have the same athleticism, and that's a whole other situation, but that would be something to aspire to in a smaller way and model your game after heading into college. So, Evans will need a couple of seasons to develop a consistent mid-range game, then deep perimter game, while being a good rebounder, defense, etc...and attacking the basket.

Perfect comparison of what I could only hope Evans would turn into. Matthews was a legitimate Big East player of the year candidate his last two years at MU bc of his varying skills, heart, and ability to defend...

We have heard all about Evans offensive skills, whats he like as a defender at this point? Did I just miss this?

Perfect comparison of what I could only hope Evans would turn into. Matthews was a legitimate Big East player of the year candidate his last two years at MU bc of his varying skills, heart, and ability to defend...

We have heard all about Evans offensive skills, whats he like as a defender at this point? Did I just miss this?

He has a ways to go, and in college he'll have to defend perimeter players more as opposed to interior players.

Any SLU fan expecting much from him his first two seasons, will be disapppointed.

Will Evans develop into a wing? Or, we'll he be a tweener? It is a fair question. He is a very good worker, rebounder, attacker of the hoop. He will need two years of the strength and conditioning program, and other work to make the adjustments. Some kids develop. Some don't. He'll put in the work and effort. We'll see.

With that in mind, are we still recruiting the small forward (Clyburn) from Marshalltown J.C. It looks like he's having a big sophomore year. Seems like he might fit the bill of what we need at the small forward spot. Has anyone seem him play?

bad boyz for life

It is my understanding that we stopped recruiting clyburn and went for evans.

Guest BillikenReport

It is my understanding that we stopped recruiting clyburn and went for evans.

Not sure if SLU stopped recruiting Clyburn when Evans committed, but Clyburn had several chances to commit and must have told the coaches he was going to wait until the spring before making a decision and signing.

That would tell me that he didn't like SLU very much.

So instead of waiting for Clyburn and then missing out on someone like Evans, who they had been recruiting for a while, it looks like Billikens decided to take Evans instead.

Evans also then helped SLU land Mike McCall, who was probably the top target on their recruiting board.

So if SLU waits for Clyburn, there's a chance the Billikens don't get Evans or McCall and would be left to fight it out with BCS schools in the spring for Clyburn and the leftovers of the 2010 graduating class.

That strategy didn't work very well for the SLU program in the past.