PHENOMENAL Student Turnout tonight

AlumniFan

This is exactly the way I feel. I also am not an alum. Only had one year of JC. I however attended every high school and junior college game I was associated with and never left a game when I was not horse.

SLU is my adopted team. I also use to allways yell DEFENSE durin the games and have previou post on this board trying to get others to be more vocal.

After a couple of years of no improvement you get worn down. I guess after you pass 40 you can't remeber all the words, DEFENSE!, which every person in the building should be canting every time the opponent has the ball in their hands.

I don't feel that is too much to ask.

:wub:

Maybe the non-students should be setting the example and make the students have to show up and work harder to be heard over the rest of us. After all there are more of us than them. :wub:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too bad Z and jimbo 1 wasn't there.

i think i was there... my head has never hurt so bad from yelling and cheering as it did at that game sat. i literally had to yell for 10 secs, rest for 30 so that my forehead would stop pounding.

when i still lived in STL i always bought whatever ticket and went down in the student section because 1) there were a $h!t ton of seats open, :wub: those are pretty good seats and iii) we ought to have at least one section full of rabid fans that the players can get fired up by at every game. for most schools worth a damn, that's the student section. :wub:

i think i was there... my head has never hurt so bad from yelling and cheering as it did at that game sat. i literally had to yell for 10 secs, rest for 30 so that my forehead would stop pounding.

when i still lived in STL i always bought whatever ticket and went down in the student section because 1) there were a $h!t ton of seats open, :wub: those are pretty good seats and iii) we ought to have at least one section full of rabid fans that the players can get fired up by at every game. for most schools worth a damn, that's the student section. :wub:

i knew you were there jimbo 5, i was talking about the other jim.

+1

We the students have to take some blame for not going to the game, but my gripe since I have been in school has been with all the other people who come to the games. They just sit on their hands. Get there late and leave early. I wish I could see the attendance figures on a minute by minute basis from 15 minutes before the game until the end. It'd be pretty telling. 5 minutes before the game, there is almost no one there. I'd say until 3 or 4 minutes into the game, everyone is still moseying on in. And then like clockwork after the under-4 minute media timeout, it seems half the stadium heads for the exits, lest they have to wait to leave the parking garage. Students are part of the cheering, but where are the rest of the crowd? I know a lot of you here DO cheer and I commend you on that. I remember the BC or Dayton games last year. The arena was ROCKING. The place could easily be one of the best homecourts in the country.

There needs to be a change of culture. The students don't come, the alumni come late and don't cheer, Guy Philips is the epitome of not getting pumped up for a game. All of that results in what we have now.

OKAY, I am over 60 and my hearing is going as well as my eyesight.

I believe the guys old enough to have tickets in front of me deserve to be there because they are

still alive. However, I can only think of one excuse for leaving a basketball game with 4 minutes to go.

When we yell "Defence" they are reminded they are wearing "Depends" or adult diapers and don't want to embarrass themselves so they have to leave.

Bladder problems old age, taking a minute to straighten up before you can walk upright are things that don't occur to the youth for many reasons.

I plan to be rockin' the student section DEC 22 v. the UMKC Roos. Just finished up my SLU MS online DEC 7. If any BBQ breath UMKC fans try to come into my section I will represent like a Billiken should.

Think they will sell me 4 student tix prior to the game?

I plan to be rockin' the student section DEC 22 v. the UMKC Roos. Just finished up my SLU MS online DEC 7. If any BBQ breath UMKC fans try to come into my section I will represent like a Billiken should.

Think they will sell me 4 student tix prior to the game?

I'd say just buy whatever cheap tickets you can get and go down there. Security doesn't seem to care. If they asked me about it, I'd ask if they saw that $h!t$h0w on sat. and tell them to let it go. I'll be there, might bring my brothers if they're around. I need to see a good Billikens monkeystomp to feel OK about this vacation.

I'd say just buy whatever cheap tickets you can get and go down there. Security doesn't seem to care. If they asked me about it, I'd ask if they saw that $h!t$h0w on sat. and tell them to let it go. I'll be there, might bring my brothers if they're around. I need to see a good Billikens monkeystomp to feel OK about this vacation.

I have sat in the student section multiple times this year despite not being a student.

I ran around asking multiple people wearing blue in the student section to come down to the front, and all of them said something like, "Oh, i'm waiting for someone else to get here..." or "Oh, I'm fine."

I talked to a few MO State kids, and they said that they road tripped for the game. Tickets should be free for students...like at Dayton. I'm sorry, but you cannot charge kids to go see a team that they don't know or care about. It's cuts the income down a bit, but it's a long-term strategy. Get the section so packed that you HAVE to charge students. Ridiculous.

Not going to happen. CM is against for revenue reasons. The Trustees are opposed to raising fees $10 per student to make up the difference. I had this arguement at the Billiken Club Board Mtg. and got nowhere.

I went over and visited B-Roy, who pointed me to where Chris' seats are (I was hoping to have a word). Roy didn't think Chris was in attendance Saturday.

Father Biondi was, indeed, there. I was wondering who he was sitting with. It seemed to be a guest, so I doubt he would have let steam come out his ears in front of a colleague, potential donor, or whatever. (In all fairness to Father B, he attends at least 75 percent, if not 90 percent, of the games.)

I'm of two minds as to whether I wanted Dr. Chaifetz to be there. I would have been ashamed; but as there are clearly only a few people with influence, I'm betting he might have given a nice motivational speech sometime after the game that actually would have had an effect.

Don't know if CM was at the game, but he was in Lorenzini's before.

Not going to happen. CM is against for revenue reasons. The Trustees are opposed to raising fees $10 per student to make up the difference. I had this arguement at the Billiken Club Board Mtg. and got nowhere.

$10 per student (assuming it counts grad students) would raise about $140,000. We have 20 home games this year. Somebody spot my math, but I think that means we'd have to average 700 students per game to achieve that much revenue. We're halfway through the season, and I seriously doubt we're averaging 250.

It's astounding how selective the institutional memory is (despite some of those Trustees having been around for decades). Thirty years ago, a similar faction fought tooth and nail against the coupon packs because they just couldn't grasp the concept that an empty seat generates zero revenue. (Not to mention, in the current day, it forces our arena to look half-empty on TV for virtually every game.) Now they need to wrestle with the concept that an empty student section makes their $70M investment look incredibly foolish.

It seems they are running a similar promotion for tomorrow's game. However the ad doesn't openly say that the college/high school students will be able to sit in the SLU Student Section. I think if we see this starting to happen again, everyone should get up and move over to the student section! We will not let the opposing team take over Billiken territory again!

Missouri State students pay an "athletics fee." It's mandatory, and allows the students to get into all sports for free, save for baseball, which is $3.

Might be a way to go, just add a student fee to all students. I believe it is $30, but I finished up my Graduate studies in July, so it may be different since this semester is the start of a new fiscal year.

Saw this post after mine...so it appears the admin is against raising student fees.

The thing is, they raise the student fee just about every year anyway. I don't see what a few more dollars would hurt... Personally I'd be all for it. The exhibition games we had this year had GREAT student attendance. I go to all the games and always try to get as many people to come with me. The excuse I hear most is 'I don't want to pay'.

The thing is, they raise the student fee just about every year anyway. I don't see what a few more dollars would hurt... Personally I'd be all for it. The exhibition games we had this year had GREAT student attendance. I go to all the games and always try to get as many people to come with me. The excuse I hear most is 'I don't want to pay'.

Tuition, books, board, etc. is probably approaching $40k per year by now. Tack $250 onto that and they'll never notice anyways. Put 2,000 students per game down on the floor like they've got GOTDAMN press passes. Put a new Billikens shirt in their campus mailbox twice a semester. Get those losers in that arena by force.

Ricks Facebook status tonight! I believe he is on it!

Rick Majerus has been reading the SLU message boards and your complaints and concerns will be addressed and dealt with. The Chaifetz Arena is the home of the Billikens, not an opposing team. Even BYU students had some respect for the Utes back in the day.