A-10 Headquarters moving...

Bishop

-perhaps i should know this....where are the current hq's?

-nothing against newport news, but is that an easy place to get to or recruit to for conference staff?

The current hq's are in??? I would have guessed Philadelpia. In the story summary, it says they are moving from Richmond. In the body of the story it says they are moving from Philadelphia. Hmmmmm.

I went to grad school at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, VA (the town right next to Newport News). While Williamsburg is a nice town, Newport News definitely is not so I am very surprised that the A-10 will be headquartered there.

This is typical A10 ---- those of us looking for sense and sensibility are better off looking elsewhere. There is absolutely nothing that makes anything good out of this. If you think getting to AC was bad or hard, welcome to the southern Virginia swampland known as the Tidewater. Norfolk airport is serviced by Southwest so that might work out in the long run. But unless the tourney (if moved) is played at Norfolk's Scope, Newport News is literally an ocean away.

According to the A-10 Board, the offices are now in Philly and will be going to Newport News, VA. Here is also a take from a reporter covering UMass.

http://www.gazettenet.com/node/241506

My thought is that A-10 offices should be in the largest media capital so that we can get publicity and make/develop/maintain national tv contacts. Philly makes sense since 3 schools are locate there and therefore it is likely that all teams will visit Philly at some time. NY City, of course, would be another good choice since it is NY and since Fordham is present. Atlantic City makes sense since it is close to the big urban cities and is the host site of the Tourney each year. By comparision, the Valley uses St. Louis which is probably the largest media city and while no local team, it is covenient, central and the host of the Tourney every year. The Valley being in St. Louis is why there is publicity each year.

Relocating to Newport News is simply bush league. :(

This is typical A10 ---- those of us looking for sense and sensibility are better off looking elsewhere. There is absolutely nothing that makes anything good out of this. If you think getting to AC was bad or hard, welcome to the southern Virginia swampland known as the Tidewater. Norfolk airport is serviced by Southwest so that might work out in the long run. But unless the tourney (if moved) is played at Norfolk's Scope, Newport News is literally an ocean away.

We care because of all the pilgrimages we make to the A-10 headquarters?

According to the A-10 Board, the offices are now in Philly and will be going to Newport News, VA. Here is also a take from a reporter covering UMass.

http://www.gazettenet.com/node/241506

My thought is that A-10 offices should be in the largest media capital so that we can get publicity and make/develop/maintain national tv contacts. Philly makes sense since 3 schools are locate there and therefore it is likely that all teams will visit Philly at some time. NY City, of course, would be another good choice since it is NY and since Fordham is present. Atlantic City makes sense since it is close to the big urban cities and is the host site of the Tourney each year. By comparision, the Valley uses St. Louis which is probably the largest media city and while no local team, it is covenient, central and the host of the Tourney every year. The Valley being in St. Louis is why there is publicity each year.

Relocating to Newport News is simply bush league. :(

Might have my Virginia towns mixed up, but it seems to me that Newport News is the home of the fine upstanding citizen Vick brothers. If you thought crime was bad in Atl. Cty, don't even think about visiting the new league offices in NN.

Might have my Virginia towns mixed up, but it seems to me that Newport News is the home of the fine upstanding citizen Vick brothers. If you thought crime was bad in Atl. Cty, don't even think about visiting the new league offices in NN.

I think A-B (before INBEV) had a major corporate meetings development in the area: which includes Hampton Roads, Williamsburg and quite a few other

very pleasing locations. Hey, even Chicago has some neighborhoods that scare people.

Do you really think the media hangs out at the Mo Valley offices? Everyone is in contact by email, twitter, etc. I am sure they picked office space convenient to the new staff

I think A-B (before INBEV) had a major corporate meetings development in the area: which includes Hampton Roads, Williamsburg and quite a few other

very pleasing locations. Hey, even Chicago has some neighborhoods that scare people.

Do you really think the media hangs out at the Mo Valley offices? Everyone is in contact by email, twitter, etc. I am sure they picked office space convenient to the new staff

I recognize that I am no expert on league office procedure but it seems to me that if you want publicity, you must make things easy on the media. While you can send email, twitter and you can make schedules, hire refs, etc. from anywhere, it would seem like there would be benefits being located in a busier media hub. For instance, if Sports Illustrated is in St. Louis doing a story on the Rams, Cards or Blues, they might be more apt to follow up on the phone calls/emails/twitter and then stop by the league offices while in St. Louis. Philly has even more benefits than St. Louis and NY City is the best.

Also, there a benefits having the league office in the same town as conference tournament as well as having the league office in the same town which is hosting an NCAA Tournament game. Not to mention the benefit of having the league offices actually in the same town as one of the member cities.

If the the only concern is cheap rent and phone/email/twitter access, why not some remote city in Montana if the Commish likes to fish and hunt?