How far will RM take us?

Since it's the offseason, I thought I'd throw this one out there. I think RM will get us to the big dance by year 4, and most likely get us to the big dance and win a game by year 5. RM has certainly proven that he can take a team all the way, and he's talented enough to do that with this situation. My only hesitation about him taking us farther than round 2 is his age and how long he'll remain interested in coaching. I certainly hope he proves me wrong on this! If he were 5 years younger I think he take us to the sweet 16 and maybe beyond.

Since it's the offseason, I thought I'd throw this one out there. I think RM will get us to the big dance by year 4, and most likely get us to the big dance and win a game by year 5. RM has certainly proven that he can take a team all the way, and he's talented enough to do that with this situation. My only hesitation about him taking us farther than round 2 is his age and how long he'll remain interested in coaching. I certainly hope he proves me wrong on this! If he were 5 years younger I think he take us to the sweet 16 and maybe beyond.

I don't think Coach Majerus is particularly old. Why would five years make much of a difference?

Not as far as the strong right arm of Joe Kane will take us. That true, Joey??? You gonna take us to the promised land? Kane is able.

We need some more freshmen recruits like Omar Epps. Of course, we could get them if Halle Berry did all the campus tours.

We need some more freshmen recruits like Omar Epps. Of course, we could get them if Halle Berry did all the campus tours.

just looking for a place at the table...

oh. and since it's friday, a treat for you gents. not in a pervy mood today or anything, but she just happened to come up in my related videos during my search for the mythical lattimer. praise jeebus, not me.

i'll bet she could keep willie in the gym...

as for a real response... i expect the tourney next year and fairly regular thereafter, into perpetuity. i don't think we'll ever be a powerhouse. just not in the cards. but if the stars align, maybe elite eight and further, someday...

as for a real response... i expect the tourney next year and fairly regular thereafter, into perpetuity. i don't think we'll ever be a powerhouse. just not in the cards. but if the stars align, maybe elite eight and further, someday...

The schedule isn't settled just yet, but I'd be pleasantly surpised with trip next year. We'll be a little green, IMO. That said, we should be a much better team in February than November.

We'll be a little green, IMO.

6 Freshmen, 4 sophomores and a junior that probably won't play much. Yeah, I'd say we'll be a little green.

I don't think the tourney is realistic next year but I certainly think the year after it should be expected and anything less will suck.

p.s. the only way we are NCAA caliber is if BOTH Aussies are just heads and tails better then anything we currently have in the program. I think they'll be very good but I doubt that good.

Agreed. RM needs to deliver by year 4. If not, some serious questions should be raised.

As RM has said on many occasions, that first year of his was really just a year "to hang on by their fingernails" since he was hired late and could not recruit and change the personnel. Last year was his second year but it could be argued his first real year with his own players. Now, his third year, is his like his second full year since he now has had 2 years to bring in his own guys. Now, no one is left from Brad's era -- I don't count FJ WR and BT has Brad's guys.

History with RM tells us that his second year (that would really be this, his 3rd year at SLU) is when he make his break thru. Because there will be no upperclassmen this year, I will not place undue burdens/expectations upon RM for this year but I really do expect a very good season. The year after, though, is RM's make or break year. I am not worried about next year b/c I think we will break thru this year despite being quite "green." Our team will struggle and takes its lumps in November and December but I truly expect us to peak by February. As good as KM was last year, it took him until the second half of the season to really figure things out and get it going. If we don't make the Tourney this Spring, we will be a bubble team and, certainly, we will be that team which no one really wants to play.

The schedule isn't settled just yet, but I'd be pleasantly surpised with trip next year. We'll be a little green, IMO. That said, we should be a much better team in February than November.

Sorry, I meant next year next year. 2010-2011

As RM has said on many occasions, that first year of his was really just a year "to hang on by their fingernails" since he was hired late and could not recruit and change the personnel. Last year was his second year but it could be argued his first real year with his own players. Now, his third year, is his like his second full year since he now has had 2 years to bring in his own guys. Now, no one is left from Brad's era -- I don't count FJ WR and BT has Brad's guys.

History with RM tells us that his second year (that would really be this, his 3rd year at SLU) is when he make his break thru. Because there will be no upperclassmen this year, I will not place undue burdens/expectations upon RM for this year but I really do expect a very good season. The year after, though, is RM's make or break year. I am not worried about next year b/c I think we will break thru this year despite being quite "green." Our team will struggle and takes its lumps in November and December but I truly expect us to peak by February. As good as KM was last year, it took him until the second half of the season to really figure things out and get it going. If we don't make the Tourney this Spring, we will be a bubble team and, certainly, we will be that team which no one really wants to play.

Agreed. I think we'll surprise some temas this season, but won't be quite there yet (hope I'm wrong about that). 2010'-'11 looks to be a nice year.

Agreed. I think we'll surprise some temas this season, but won't be quite there yet (hope I'm wrong about that). 2010'-'11 looks to be a nice year.

I think someone who gets lost in the shuffle for next year is Jeff Reid. He WAS Kansas' Mr. Basketball last year, and his older brother was a star at Kansas State, who is obviously no slouch. I haven't heard him mentioned hardly at all, PERIOD, and I have to admit that I tend to forget about him a lot. This kid might come right in and play 25 mins a game for us and shoot the lights out. Hard to say, but Mr. Basketballs are always good to have, IMO. ;)

We heard that Mitchell would be the real deal, and he was, and then some. Maybe the time's finally come that we can believe what we hear about our recruits. ;)

Sorry, losing my composure a bit, as I'm starting to hit the cough syrup, seein's how I'm leaving for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in half an hour and I'm not driving. Have a good weekend in BillikenLand.

Posted Image

We heard that Mitchell would be the real deal, and he was, and then some. Maybe the time's finally come that we can believe what we hear about our recruits. :D

Sorry, losing my composure a bit, as I'm starting to hit the cough syrup, seein's how I'm leaving for the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in half an hour and I'm not driving. Have a good weekend in BillikenLand.

Posted Image

Thanks to all who have responded...funny how some of the most opinionated and critical people on here are unwilling to go on a "limb" and state an opinion! ;)

Footsie, as you know, I am plenty opinionated. My limb extends out to the sweet sixteen. I realistically think Majerus can get his guys in the tournament and win at least a pair of games before he hangs it up at SLU. I think it is two or three seasons away, but I think he can get it done even if he calls out his guys in practice and at banquets. (Or perhaps he gets it done, in part, because he calls out his guys in practice and at banquets.)

And, no, I am not concerned this team will struggle even though Daniel Lisch is transferring to Fontbonne. ;)

Footsie, as you know, I am plenty opinionated. My limb extends out to the sweet sixteen. I realistically think Majerus can get his guys in the tournament and win at least a pair of games before he hangs it up at SLU. I think it is two or three seasons away, but I think he can get it done even if he calls out his guys in practice and at banquets. (Or perhaps he gets it done, in part, because he calls out his guys in practice and at banquets.)

And, no, I am not concerned this team will struggle even though Daniel Lisch is transferring to Fontbonne. ;)

Yes, without a doubt the loss of DL to fontbonne hurts but we should be ok. Here's an opinion on the '09-'10; if KM avoids a soph slump, WR and BC up their level of play, Reid doesn't experience the dreaded jump to D1 anxiety a lot of shooters seem to go through, the Aussies are as good or better than advertised we could possibly be sniffing a bid next year. Hell, look at Butler this past season, they were younger than us and made it. Why not SLU?

Yes, without a doubt the loss of DL to fontbonne hurts but we should be ok. Here's an opinion on the '09-'10; if KM avoids a soph slump, WR and BC up their level of play, Reid doesn't experience the dreaded jump to D1 anxiety a lot of shooters seem to go through, the Aussies are as good or better than advertised we could possibly be sniffing a bid next year. Hell, look at Butler this past season, they were younger than us and made it. Why not SLU?

My thoughts exactly. ;)

How do you think Khalil Greene would do in RM's system? :D

Last year when Kwamain was recruited he received some heady praise from Majerus along the lines of the second Kwamain steps foot on campus he is given the keys to run the team. He did turn out to be our best player. I didn't hear Majerus make any comments similar to that in regard to this years recruits. That means we are hoping for a surprise like Willie or we just have a very solid class but no big stars.

I expect Top 5 finish in league and an NIT berth this year. NCAAs after that.

This will be a very tough year. Mitchell can't carry the team by himself and he has no proven help. My guess is 12-13 wins and a sub .500 season. How can anyone expect more? We have no one with the experience and talent of Kevin or Tommie coming back. The freshman may have talent but certainly are not ready to fill their shoes. We will also miss Barry's experience. By the way, does anyone else find it interesting that Kevin struggled for 2 years to produce under RM and now is getting multiple tryouts by NBA teams. Did RM hurt both him and Tommie?

2010-11 will be RM's last year if not this year. I also believe he will leave voluntarily without any pressue and use health or burnout as the reason. 2010 - 2011 team could be decent if there are no transfers after this season and that's a big if. I still maintain we are losing 1 more player this summer/fall, not neccessarily transferring out on his own. Discipline........................................

This will be a very tough year. Mitchell can't carry the team by himself and he has no proven help. My guess is 12-13 wins and a sub .500 season. How can anyone expect more? We have no one with the experience and talent of Kevin or Tommie coming back. The freshman may have talent but certainly are not ready to fill their shoes. We will also miss Barry's experience. By the way, does anyone else find it interesting that Kevin struggled for 2 years to produce under RM and now is getting multiple tryouts by NBA teams. Did RM hurt both him and Tommie?

2010-11 will be RM's last year if not this year. I also believe he will leave voluntarily without any pressue and use health or burnout as the reason. 2010 - 2011 team could be decent if there are no transfers after this season and that's a big if. I still maintain we are losing 1 more player this summer/fall, not neccessarily transferring out on his own. Discipline........................................

Since there isn't a final schedule, I don't really see how you can make a projection about wins at this point.

Which teams have brought in KL for a tryout? I haven't heard about this, but I'm very interested.

Are you speculating about this new transfer?

Below .500 this season? Not only are you not a fan, you are an absolute hater.