Polk vs. Meyer summary?

I'm sure I don't really have to ask this, but I will anyway. Can someone who went to the Vashon vs. Borgia game tonight please give a summary of the game? I'd really like to see how these two perfomed playing against each other. I'm sure it wasn't the classic that the Polk/Liddell game was, but hopefully this one was entertaining too.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Well we got there at about 7:50 for a 8:30 tipoff. The line was REALLY, REALLY long. At 8:50 we left when they said no one else was getting in. Even if they had cleared the gym after the girls game, I would have been surprised if we could have made it in.

WOW, that's amazing. I guess everyone's dying to see that game. With the crowd at that game and at the Vashon/East St. Louis game, let's hope some of these fans start showing up at the Savvis when (hopefully)Tommie, Dwayne, and Luke put on the "Billiken blue."

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

I showed up at 7:35 pm, saw a line of about 600 people outside the door, turned around and got back in my car. You weren't getting into that game unless you showed up and hour and half before tipoff. For a team that everyone loves to hate, the crowds sure do come to see the V in droves.

I was shocked to learn from the Post Dispatch box score that Luke scored 22 of Borgia's 40 points, considering that Coach Irons was at the Desmet earlier this year scouting Luke and devising how to shut him down. If Luke had any help at all -- which he hasn't all year -- this could have been a game.

As a consolation prize I took in the Poplar Bluff/Chaminade tilt at UMSL. Chaminade had no answer for Tyler Hansbrough but Poplar Bluff had no answer for Tommie Williams who torched the Mules for 37 points, often with Ben Hansbrough covering him. The difference in the game was Poplar Bluff's three point shooting -- they were on fire all night. Ben has nice size for a guard at 6'3 190 lb but he is as slow as Drejaj. I'd take Jarod Leonard over him at this point and Dustin Maguire over Jarod.

BillsWin, you were probably pretty close to where I was in line tonight. I got there around 7:45 or 7:50 and to my surprise saw the very long line go from the entrance to the Maryville gym all they way past and around the building next to it.

Eventually they let those of us who were still there at halftime go in after they re-assessed the attendance situation, so I got see the second half. I couldn't see all that well because I'm only 5-7 and I had to stand in the end zone area with about 3 or 4 rows of people in front of me, but I was impressed with the little bit I saw from Polk and Meyer.

My opinion, along with quite a few others who I talked to while in line, is that playing a state quarterfinal game at Maryville was an extremely DUMB move on the part of MSHSAA. It was so bad that Borgia had organized a bus to take their students to go see the game, and after the kids travelled in the bus from Washington to St. Louis (which they apparently had to pay to ride), they couldn't get in the gym and ended up leaving. Maryville's gym is barely bigger than most high school gyms. Maybe in a few years the SLU arena will be able to host such an event.

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...+stifles+Borgia

Here's what impresses me most from the article:

"The first half was sporadic at best for Vashon, which faced a 1-2-2 Borgia zone that disrupted the Wolverines' vaunted transition attack. Borgia wasn't getting much done on offense either, and Meyer finished eight-of-21 shooting from the floor, two for 12 in the first half."

----------------------------

"Meyer, whom along with Polk has signed a letter of intent with St. Louis University, often met a tandem of Vashon defenders, who either doubled-down into the post or rotated out on the perimeter to stop the scoring threat."

Coach Irons did exactly what he wanted to do against Luke defensively, yet he somehow managed to squeeze off 21 shots. They didn't go down in the first half, but just the fact that he could get off that many shots against a squad of quick athletic players all focused on denying him the ball is very impressive. Being played straight up defensively at the college level will be a welcome relief.

I would take Ben and Jarod over dustin and prob jarod over both. Dustin is listed as 6'3 but is about 6'3. He can jump alright but nothing special and plays the 4. Does anyone know if he will grow anymore? Ben plays the 1 at 6'2, Jarod has now grown to be 6'6 at the 2/3. Dustin is a good player but still has some prob with defense that i know the bills really care about. He is the goto player on his team thats why his ppg is so high imo. Desmet had Kalicak and Ward. P Bluff as you know had Tyler I was at the ESl game and he played great but i wouldnt say he is better han Ben or Jarod. They will all be good to high major prospects but id say 1 Leonard 2 hansbrough 3 D Maguire... what do you guys think?

Maguire plays the 4 because Civic Memorial is a team of midgets, not because he doesn't have perimeter skills. That game against East Side wasn't a fluke -- the kid's been hitting from three land and the free throw at an incredible rate all year and he's just a sophomore. He finds ways to score right now just by moving without the ball, using ball fakes and posting up smaller players. If Maguire's handle improves a little, he will pretty much be unstoppable. Think Matt Carroll at Notre Dame.

Careful there, you are treading on Holy Land. Matt is one the best shooters I've seen on the college level. If Maguire is anything close to Matt I say make him a priority. Although I did not make the game I was impressed with his statline and the compliments given to him by Liddell that I nominated him Player of the Week at Highschoolelite.com.

On the contrary, I never get tired of speaking about Liddell. As far as his academics that situation is unchanged. I do not see him doing well on the test in-season. Once this season is over he will be through will basketball. No more AAU therefore I think he will buckle down. I do know his parents have requested financial aid from Brewster Academy prep school. Athletically he has his team 2 games away from the Elite Eight. Last night he scored 16 points and recorded 4 steals in a 62-47 win over Springfield Lanphier. He played under controlled despite being harrassed by smaller quicker guards.

They will now face Edwardsville for the Sectional Title. Edwardsville has a stud in Junior Nick Arth. He is about 6'7 with a nice touch and can bang inside. He scored 23 points in his team's victory over Quincy. If he can grow another inch or 2 he may be someone to look at.

He is also a lefty.

Brewster Academy is a basketball power in Wolfeboro, NH. They had six McDonald's All-American nominees on their team this year (I realize a lot are nominated but getting subs nominated is impressive)!

http://www.brewsteracademy.org/Pages/Athle...-mcdonalds.html

It looks like Romar signed the best of the bunch to Washington.

http://gohuskies.ocsn.com/sports/m-baskbl/.../111703aaa.html

Ed Pinkney's kid is a junior on the teams so may be there next year.