Brad Beal

I know this topic has been discussed previously, but over the weekend Brad Beal was arguably the best player at the Sabes Invitational Tournament. He helped lead the Eagles to an unexpected championship while playing for the 17's. He is going to be the best prospect coming out of St. Louis in a LONG time, in my opinion even better than D. Lee, Suggs, etc.

I know I have written off Beal coming here in the past, but our current situation leaves us in a very favorable position to make Beal the focus of recruiting for the next two years. We have no glaring needs for the next three years, so the coaching staff would be able to put on "the full-court press" on Beal. Hopefully, by the time Beal is ready to commit, SLU will have turned around the program even more and no longer will it be so appealing to play for the out of town big boys.

Even with this all said, I say the odds of landing Beal are < 5%.

Thoughts?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this topic has been discussed previously, but over the weekend Brad Beal was arguably the best player at the Sabes Invitational Tournament. He helped lead the Eagles to an unexpected championship while playing for the 17's. He is going to be the best prospect coming out of St. Louis in a LONG time, in my opinion even better than D. Lee, Suggs, etc.

I know I have written off Beal coming here in the past, but our current situation leaves us in a very favorable position to make Beal the focus of recruiting for the next two years. We have no glaring needs for the next three years, so the coaching staff would be able to put on "the full-court press" on Beal. Hopefully, by the time Beal is ready to commit, SLU will have turned around the program even more and no longer will it be so appealing to play for the out of town big boys.

Thoughts?

If Beal blossoms as you predict, he'll draw interest from high majors. The only way we are going to be able to land kids with offers from the blue chip teams (not BCS bottom tier programs) is if we have success. Our team will be so young next year, I just don't know. I think it will be years before we are able to recruit head to head against Kentucky, Duke, NC, Kansas, et alia. In the near term, we must rely upon RM's world-wide recruiting program to find under-recruited talent. The incoming class is a testament to the fact that Rick can build a program this way. No harm in showing love to Beal ... but I don't see how we can make him "the focus of recruiting for the next two years". That's Brad Soderberg modus operandi. It didn't work.

Thoughts?

One positive in our recruitment of Beal is the fact that he comes from a very close family, with a great Mom & Dad, who just might want to be able to see all his home games.

If Beal blossoms as you predict, he'll draw interest from high majors. The only way we are going to be able to land kids with offers from the blue chip teams (not BCS bottom tier programs) is if we have success. Our team will be so young next year, I just don't know. I think it will be years before we are able to recruit head to head against Kentucky, Duke, NC, Kansas, et alia. In the near term, we must rely upon RM's world-wide recruiting program to find under-recruited talent. The incoming class is a testament to the fact that Rick can build a program this way. No harm in showing love to Beal ... but I don't see how we can make him "the focus of recruiting for the next two years". That's Brad Soderberg modus operandi. It didn't work.

I think for us to land beal a couple things need to happen:

1)He makes a personal connection with RM

2) He makes a personal connection with out players

3) We have success over the next two years. (At least one NCAA bid)

4) Coach Kelvin Lee approves of Beal coming to SLU

Bill Self has made Beal his number 1 focus in his class. In an interview recently he slipped up and said KU was his favorite. I don't think SLU has much of a chance this late in the game when he plans to commit very soon.

Bill Self has made Beal his number 1 focus in his class. In an interview recently he slipped up and said KU was his favorite. I don't think SLU has much of a chance this late in the game when he plans to commit very soon.

Kansas folks have been saying "he plans to commit very soon" for about 5 months now. It holds no water.

I don't understand why Beal (or any kid) would commit the summer before his junior year of high school. A kid like Beal will have another 18 months to evaluate and pick nearly any college he wants. Why make such an important decision at the age of 16 when you can take the time to continue to grow and develop goals and priorities on and off the court?

Regardless of whether Beal will make a decision soon, I like Majerus's recruiting approach in these situations. Majerus will evaluate the kid and show the appropriate interest, but he will otherwise continue to do business as usual with absolutely no reliance or expectation on landing a long-shot like Beal. Under Romar and Soderberg (and to a lesser degree Spoon), it just seemed like we were always banking on landing the next big local prospect, and the program inevitably suffered when we didn't. Under Majerus, landing a big local prospect is just icing on the cake; the program is being built and developed at a high-level without any reliance on the local long-shots.

I don't understand why Beal (or any kid) would commit the summer before his junior year of high school. A kid like Beal will have another 18 months to evaluate and pick nearly any college he wants. Why make such an important decision at the age of 16 when you can take the time to continue to grow and develop goals and priorities on and off the court?

Regardless of whether Beal will make a decision soon, I like Majerus's recruiting approach in these situations. Majerus will evaluate the kid and show the appropriate interest, but he will otherwise continue to do business as usual with absolutely no reliance or expectation on landing a long-shot like Beal. Under Romar and Soderberg (and to a lesser degree Spoon), it just seemed like we were always banking on landing the next big local prospect, and the program inevitably suffered when we didn't. Under Majerus, landing a big local prospect is just icing on the cake; the program is being built and developed at a high-level without any reliance on the local long-shots.

Beal is a long shot for SLU but worth the risk. SLU only has one spot left for that year and most if not all the needs are filled. He is a difference maker that could shoot SLU past XU and Dayton. That being said I don't think he's listed SLU in his top five. Rivals has Beal with a more than slight lead over Florida with NC, IU and MU trailing.

No, no he didn't... or he has had a RAPID change of heart

In a story dated today by Phog writer Eric Bossi, Beal "says that he’s actually put the brakes on his recruitment. "

He did say that in Lawerence last week but your right, Phog.net has it up today. Either way, I believe Beal is a home run type player and Majerus for the first time should swing for the fences.

Beal is a long shot for SLU but worth the risk. SLU only has one spot left for that year and most if not all the needs are filled. He is a difference maker that could shoot SLU past XU and Dayton. That being said I don't think he's listed SLU in his top five. Rivals has Beal with a more than slight lead over Florida with NC, IU and MU trailing.

I know it may be a little thing to a fan of another school, but Illinois is UI. IU is Indiana.

I know it may be a little thing to a fan of another school, but Illinois is UI. IU is Indiana.

Just call him a UK fan. that should solve it.

I don't understand how TJHawk can in one post say that Beal is about to sign vs. KU and SLU has little to no chance then in another couple posts say that Majerus should be recruiting him hard.

Just call him a UK fan. that should solve it.

I don't understand how TJHawk can in one post say that Beal is about to sign vs. KU and SLU has little to no chance then in another couple posts say that Majerus should be recruiting him hard.

does anyone actuallly know what beal thinks of SLU.

Also, I have seen Beal play at least ten times, and shot aroung with him. He is good but I dont think he is the type of player that can immediatly carry a team (ala Hughes). Maybe he can but I havent seen that yet. There were a lot of rumors regarding him transferring high school, including possibly to maplewood, which would have probably been good for the billikens, but it doesnt look like those rumors will materialize.

TJ: SLU may definitely be a long shot for various reasons but what do you mean by "I don't think SLU has much of a chance this late in the game"? Are you suggesting that SLU, only now, is beginning to recruit Beal? SLU and RM have been recruiting him for quite a while.

Nark: Why should Beal commit early? Our friend Harrelson committed earlier than he needed to and, as we all know, that turned out great for him. :unsure:

TJ: SLU may definitely be a long shot for various reasons but what do you mean by "I don't think SLU has much of a chance this late in the game"? Are you suggesting that SLU, only now, is beginning to recruit Beal? SLU and RM have been recruiting him for quite a while.

Nark: Why should Beal commit early? Our friend Harrelson committed earlier than he needed to and, as we all know, that turned out great for him. :rolleyes:

Huh?

Pretty sure Nark was saying that Beal shouldn't commit this early. The one thing Nark doesn't mention is that a Beal commitment this early to Kansas or any other school for that matter is non-binding so he could back out at any time but largely this will lock up a spot for him at KU. If he waits forever, KU may find another McDonalds All-American to play the same spot.

As to the facts about Harrellson, he committed during the fall before his senior year. Thats not exactly early for most players. Yes, he could have waited until the Spring to see what better options existed then Western Illinois but if he has a rough senior year or gets injured he could get nothing. Hundreds of kids face that decision all the time, otherwise they'd all be better off waiting until the Spring signing period.

Huh?

Pretty sure Nark was saying that Beal shouldn't commit this early. The one thing Nark doesn't mention is that a Beal commitment this early to Kansas or any other school for that matter is non-binding so he could back out at any time but largely this will lock up a spot for him at KU. If he waits forever, KU may find another McDonalds All-American to play the same spot.

As to the facts about Harrellson, he committed during the fall before his senior year. Thats not exactly early for most players. Yes, he could have waited until the Spring to see what better options existed then Western Illinois but if he has a rough senior year or gets injured he could get nothing. Hundreds of kids face that decision all the time, otherwise they'd all be better off waiting until the Spring signing period.

Kshoe, the reason I say that SLU should recruit him even though I think he'll go to KU is because I don't think SLU has anything to lose. In the past other SLU coaches may have stayed to long on a top recruit only to come away with nothing but RickMa has filled his needs and can afford to reach for the stars. Beal very much is a difference maker and I say why not go for it.

High school kids can and do change their mind all the time. Many recruits have a different "leader" every week. Some kids are consistent with one or a handful of schools, others aren't. And even in the cases of a kid only focused on one school, a new school he had never heard from before or thought of attending could swoop in and be a major factor.

As for a general Beal type player, Hawk said "Worth the risk." What do you mean by that? Worth the risk as in doing due diligence, while not sacrificing other recruiting in the process, okay. That's fine. And considering this type of once ever several years ability, I'd even be willing to go farther in those cases, longer than in other cases, even if there is no perceived interest. If a kid is a guaranteed positive no interest from the start, and it doesn't look likely to change, you still keep in touch with him and recruit him, but that kid is an added bonus down the road if he shows interest. You have to have a good balance and medium. I don't believe going one way or the other is the most beneficial approach in these types of situations. You don't make someone like that a #1 priority, and you don't move on entirely either.

I would agree with your first three, but the last one I would disagree with. There is talk that Lee won't even be at Chaminade next season.

does anyone actuallly know what beal thinks of SLU.

Also, I have seen Beal play at least ten times, and shot aroung with him. He is good but I dont think he is the type of player that can immediatly carry a team (ala Hughes). Maybe he can but I havent seen that yet. There were a lot of rumors regarding him transferring high school, including possibly to maplewood, which would have probably been good for the billikens, but it doesnt look like those rumors will materialize.

NH, I also gotta disagree with your assessment that he can't immediately carry a team. I watched him play in Columbia this year and definitely has that killer instinct.

I would agree with your first three, but the last one I would disagree with. There is talk that Lee won't even be at Chaminade next season.

wow thats surprising, considering his recruiting is pretty much the main reason for their state championship this year.

NH, I also gotta disagree with your assessment that he can't immediately carry a team. I watched him play in Columbia this year and definitely has that killer instinct.

maybe its his smoothness that makes me think he cant carry a team. He is a very, very good player, but at times he wasn't even the best player on his team. He has a good, smooth shot, but he doesn't do anything else extremely well imo. I saw him play against HAzelwood Central and he had a very disappointing game. Then again, I have to remember, the kid is only a sophmore and the stats he's putting up are ridiculous, so the hype certainly has basis.

maybe its his smoothness that makes me think he cant carry a team. He is a very, very good player, but at times he wasn't even the best player on his team. He has a good, smooth shot, but he doesn't do anything else extremely well imo. I saw him play against HAzelwood Central and he had a very disappointing game. Then again, I have to remember, the kid is only a sophmore and the stats he's putting up are ridiculous, so the hype certainly has basis.

I agree about the smoothness, I had the same problem when evaluating Scott Suggs. They just make it look so easy, it seems like they aren't capable of taking over. However, Beal proved me wrong and hopefully he has a different college experience (so far) than Scott Suggs.

In regards to the Kelvin Lee rumors, I was also surprised. I can't believe he would want to leave, which makes me think there is something we don't know.