UK scenario

slu72

If Calipari takes the job at UK, which is sounding more and more like a possibility every second, he has unsigned commits for a couple of good players at MU. Or even if they are signed, if Calapari leaves the NCAA allows kids an out when a new coach comes in. If he brings them with him to UK and adds to the kids Gillespie had coming (Am sure the UK recruits wouldn't balk at playing for a Calapari) UK gets a boat load of new talent and not enough scholies. Wonder where that leaves Harrelson... does he get run off? He really saw very limited time as the season progressed at KY.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BillikenReport

If Calipari takes the job at UK, which is sounding more and more like a possibility every second, he has unsigned commits for a couple of good players at MU. Or even if they are signed, if Calapari leaves the NCAA allows kids an out when a new coach comes in. If he brings them with him to UK and adds to the kids Gillespie had coming (Am sure the UK recruits wouldn't balk at playing for a Calapari) UK gets a boat load of new talent and not enough scholies. Wonder where that leaves Harrelson... does he get run off? He really saw very limited time as the season progressed at KY.

Here's a good column out of Memphis about this situation:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/...ng-to-kentucky/

The columnist mentions that Cal could convince unsigned recruits like Cousins and Wall to follow him to UK.

As for how this would affect Harrellson, I'd guess he would be in the same spot. He'd probably be backing up the post players like Patterson, Stevenson and Daniel Orton. The Wildcats, if those recruits followed Cal, would be national championship contenders next season.

Usually if they release the kids, they won't be allowed to follow the leaving HC

I heard talk of Pittino to Ariz on 101.1 this morning. Why?

Usually if they release the kids, they won't be allowed to follow the leaving HC

$$$$.... buckets of it. And it's a lot easier to win in the PAC 10 than the Beast. This would not be a surprise if he took it. Take it a step further if he left, what about Sean Miller to UL and if Calipari leaves MU he'd be a possible there as well? Aahhh the annual coaching carousel.

Guest BillikenReport

The two kids I mentioned in my post have not signed with Memphis. Cousins has committed. Wall, who is the top point guard prospect in the country, has Memphis as one of his finalists, along with Duke.

Those two would be free to sign with whoever they want in the spring signing period.

The other kids who have already signed with Memphis, like top SG prospect Xavier Henry, could ask to be released from their letters of intent. Most schools will let them out. In Henry's case, though, his older brother C.J. is already at Memphis and on the team there — http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...henry_cj00.html — after he played minor league baseball for a few years.

think of the living conditions. louisville or sunny retirement shangri la of arizona.

think of the campus the facilities, the cheerleaders :)

but mostly, the money. whatever louisville is paying him, he will get a raise.

this could end up being the biggest coaching merry go round year yet.

The two kids I mentioned in my post have not signed with Memphis. Cousins has committed. Wall, who is the top point guard prospect in the country, has Memphis as one of his finalists, along with Duke.

Those two would be free to sign with whoever they want in the spring signing period.

The other kids who have already signed with Memphis, like top SG prospect Xavier Henry, could ask to be released from their letters of intent. Most schools will let them out. In Henry's case, though, his older brother C.J. is already at Memphis and on the team there — http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...henry_cj00.html — after he played minor league baseball for a few years.

Wall would be an idiot to go to Duke. Coach K would try to make him "white-out" his game.

With RM having a good relationship with Calipari, maybe we could get a home and home with UK.

think of the living conditions. louisville or sunny retirement shangri la of arizona.

think of the campus the facilities, the cheerleaders ;)

but mostly, the money. whatever louisville is paying him, he will get a raise.

this could end up being the biggest coaching merry go round year yet.

One of the reasons Rick is at Louisville is the horse racing scene. Don't know if he wants to give that up.

Guest BillikenReport

One of the reasons Rick is at Louisville is the horse racing scene. Don't know if he wants to give that up.

It doesn't make much sense for Rick to leave Louisville to have to go rebuild Arizona.

It does make sense for Cal to leave Memphis for Kentucky, even though Memphis has a tremendous recruiting class coming in.

Like that home and home we had with Memphis.

rickma hasnt gotten us any high profile home and home series yet. in fact, our non conference schedules the last two seasons have been the worse in two decades.

rickma hasnt gotten us any high profile home and home series yet. in fact, our non conference schedules the last two seasons have been the worse in two decades.

I know. I think when he came here people assumed he had all these contacts and we would be getting all these great games scheduled. Hasn't quite worked that way. I'm not saying that can't change but we haven't seen it pay off yet.

It doesn't make much sense for Rick to leave Louisville to have to go rebuild Arizona.

It does make sense for Cal to leave Memphis for Kentucky, even though Memphis has a tremendous recruiting class coming in.

Wall, Henry, and Cousins are all one-and-done players. With solid freshman seasons, all are projected as lottery picks at this point. If Calipari could get all three to UK, then this whole mess would have been worth it. If he stays at Memphis, he'll have an unreal class. I can't imagine there's another guy UK could want more than him at this point since instant gratification seems to be the most important thing to their fans.

I'm not sure I get the potential Arizona move for Pitino, either. Would it be any easier for him to land those NYC kids out there? How much more money could it be? He's already north of $2 million a year, one of the highest-paid guys in the country.

I still don't see Sean Miller going anywhere unless the Pitt job ever opens up. He's got it very good at Xavier, where his contract gets extended every couple years and his pay has gone up quite a bit. He'll now be getting over $1 million a year there, and is a little extra worth it to go to a pressure cooker? He's giving up long-term security if he thinks so.

Guest BillikenReport

Wall, Henry, and Cousins are all one-and-done players. With solid freshman seasons, all are projected as lottery picks at this point. If Calipari could get all three to UK, then this whole mess would have been worth it. If he stays at Memphis, he'll have an unreal class. I can't imagine there's another guy UK could want more than him at this point since instant gratification seems to be the most important thing to their fans.

Even if Cousins doesn't go to UK, they should be able to keep Daniel Orton in the fold and keep Meeks and Patterson.

The Wildcats need a point guard, which makes them a natural fit for Wall. I believe Wall was considering UK at one time, but I'm not sure.

Whatever the case, Cal has proven he can recruit at a very high level. Even if he's getting one and done players, UK will take that.

Guest BillikenReport

Here's the latest numbers I'm hearing on this deal:

7 years, 28 million, 2.4 signing bonus

The price of big-time college basketball just went up.

nate have you heard if fed x will be included in the deal with calipari? i mean who would cal have to hire the parents of kids if he headed to kentucky without fed x?

And I was just reminding you that these great scheduling opportunites have been talked about since Majerus was hired. Its been all talk thus far. Nothing more.

I think he's trying to get Mizzou .... oh yea, nevermind. We all know the deal there and it rhymes with shickenchit