How Do You Solve The Problem

It happened at the Pinkzone game and will more than likely happen for the Blizzard and Blue Out. Some students may come just for the free stuff and then leave. So I'll put the question on the table. How do you keep these things from happening?

1. Win

2. Win lots

3. Create a culture

4. Make it the thing to do

5. Get the fraternities involved

6. Continue winning

7. See what other universities do

8. Get the players and coaches involved

9. Target new students - maybe even before they start at SLU.

10. Make it easy

11. Play on ESPN

12. Go to the Big Dance

13. Win

The truth can be difficult to take at times.

Or take the Skip approach and say who cares. Reduce the number of student season tickets next year to 300, find a way to track who shows up and who doesn't. If you don't go, you can't renew the following year.

I get tired of hearing about what it takes to get the students to come. I know they can create an outstanding envirement, but the apathy confuses me.

Or take the Skip approach and say who cares. Reduce the number of student season tickets next year to 300, find a way to track who shows up and who doesn't. If you don't go, you can't renew the following year.

I get tired of hearing about what it takes to get the students to come. I know they can create an outstanding envirement, but the apathy confuses me.

To me its a self-policing thing. If some student show up, take the free stuff then goes, the rest of the students need to make them feel like complete ######. They need to go back to the dorms and tell everyone what a great time they had at the game, etc. Those that don't go or leave early will be the ones that feel stupid.

my answer who cares if they leave? don't get all anal about tracking who comes and goes, that takes all the fun out of it. my freshmen year, i went to a soccer game just to get to the free t-shirt, stayed for a half, saw what i liked, and kept going. SO, to go along with postcard, we just have to win and put on a good show to keep students there. once the t-shirts get them to the arena, its up to the team to keep them there.

To me its a self-policing thing. If some student show up, take the free stuff then goes, the rest of the students need to make them feel like complete ######. They need to go back to the dorms and tell everyone what a great time they had at the game, etc. Those that don't go or leave early will be the ones that feel stupid.

I think the "we had a great time at the game" involves a winning culture, which is what SLU should for all intents and purposes be on its way towards. Time will tell, but you guys do seem to be taking the right steps. Mizzou games just started being fun again this year.

Mediocre W/L = Mediocre fan support, unless you go to Indiana or Kentucky.

I think the "we had a great time at the game" involves a winning culture, which is what SLU should for all intents and purposes be on its way towards. Time will tell, but you guys do seem to be taking the right steps. Mizzou games just started being fun again this year.

Mediocre W/L = Mediocre fan support, unless you go to Indiana or Kentucky.

Winning cures all things.

Kids will have an awesome time when we beat the crap out of GW or Charlotte, but then they go to a game where we get our asses handed to us (Richmond) and don't want to go back. Consistent winning will bring people in. I know people have an awesome time at the games when we win, but they are also extremely bored if we are no fun to watch AND losing.

Winning cures all things.

Kids will have an awesome time when we beat the crap out of GW or Charlotte, but then they go to a game where we get our asses handed to us (Richmond) and don't want to go back. Consistent winning will bring people in. I know people have an awesome time at the games when we win, but they are also extremely bored if we are no fun to watch AND losing.

See: spoonball and 1998.

It's coming, beleaguered slu fans, it's coming.

It happened at the Pinkzone game and will more than likely happen for the Blizzard and Blue Out. Some students may come just for the free stuff and then leave. So I'll put the question on the table. How do you keep these things from happening?

Hand out the free stuff after the game whenever you can. Add a couple of incentives/giveaways and had out tickets to students for a drawing on the way in and announce the winners midway through the second half.

Strip search anyone who tries to leave before the final whistle, unless they've got an epileptic 4-year-old in their arms. If no shirt found, taze the f#&$ out of them and throw them out. If they have a shirt, decapitate, and take the shirt back. You guys are making this too difficult. If you do the above to even one person and then let everyone in the arena know that one person got tazed or beheaded, I'll bet everyone stays. They might not cheer a lot, but they'll be there.

When in doubt, get medieval on their heinies.

Strip search anyone who tries to leave before the final whistle, unless they've got an epileptic 4-year-old in their arms. If no shirt found, taze the f#&$ out of them and throw them out. If they have a shirt, decapitate, and take the shirt back. You guys are making this too difficult. If you do the above to even one person and then let everyone in the arena know that one person got tazed or beheaded, I'll bet everyone stays. They might not cheer a lot, but they'll be there.

When in doubt, get medieval on their heinies.

That is a great idea jimbo--...why don't we put those little exploding ink things on the shirts and after the game, people can go and get them removed as a kiosk--if they leave early, they get ink in their face. I mean really---if a poor college kid wants to go to the game for a free shirt and then leave--fine, I don't care...Maybe they'll see if you participate at the game, you do have fun--who knows? I think winning does solve it, there is no short-term solution.

I swear I read they are giving away a chance at free tuition. I dont know the specifics, but come on now, if that won't keep them there, nothing will!

yea they are doing a random picking from the student section for the chance to win a year of tuition. however, the shooter has to make 2 of 3 shots in order to win. which makes sense because its roughly $40000!

Hand out the free stuff after the game whenever you can. Add a couple of incentives/giveaways and had out tickets to students for a drawing on the way in and announce the winners midway through the second half.

Agreed. This has helped other schools in like situations. Do not give out the giveaways until late in the game or at the end of the game.

I actually think the student turnout this season has been a big improvement over Scottrade. I know that is not saying much and I am also looking at it as a guy who remembers sitting in an empty Checkerdome back in the old days. I expect a big and rowdy turnout the next two games similar to what was there for the UMass and Boston College games. Winning consistently will help the student turnout become more consistent. Since I think the winning will happen, I am not really that worried, but in the meantime I would really focus my promotional efforts each year on the incoming freshmen. They are a blank slate and they are most likely to be open to the idea of helping build a new on-campus tradition. If upperclassmen haven't gone to games much since they've been at SLU, they are not likely to start towards the end of their collegiate career.

Generally speaking, one of the things you do not want to do on giveaway days, is to give the item or items out on the way in the door, if it is a t-shirt for example.

Put the t-shirts on the backs of every seat in the Arena, which decreases problems with running out, or people taking 15 at a time, etc..

I do believe that if you are going to advertise a blizzard game, etc...you need to be willing to provide people with a free SLU basketball t-shirt at that game. It's rather silly to say wear white or insert color here. You want people to wear Billiken stuff, not just white tees.

Generally speaking, one of the things you do not want to do on giveaway days, is to give the item or items out on the way in the door, if it is a t-shirt for example.

Put the t-shirts on the backs of every seat in the Arena, which decreases problems with running out, or people taking 15 at a time, etc..

I do believe that if you are going to advertise a blizzard game, etc...you need to be willing to provide people with a free SLU basketball t-shirt at that game. It's rather silly to say wear white or insert color here. You want people to wear Billiken stuff, not just white tees.

University of Illinois for years has promoted "Wear Orange" for every home game, they never had to giveaway free shirts. True fans should want to create and exciting environment, that is what athletics seems to be trying to accomplish. I don't think SLU needs to give away anything...people should just heed their advice and wear white or blue when they suggest it. God forbid SLU would try something like Indiana did last weekend with alternating white and red sections. They told fans to wear the color that coordinated with their seat sections. Surely we would complain that we weren't getting free t-shirts on that day too.

I don't have any white long sleeve shirts, so unless they have some big boy shirts for sale at a reasonable price at the game, I won't be in white. I don't really get the white out ..... just my opinion but it should be a blue out every game.

How many free T's are they giving out?