Moser -No shortcuts to building a program

SLUDrew

On the radio with Frank this morning Coach Moser mentioned that could easily go out and get some JUCO players as a "quick fix" to help with the youth on this team (next year 12 scholarship players are going to be freshmen or sophomores) but they want to build long-term success. I completely agree with this philosophy. You can make an argument about whether or not this current group of freshmen is the best recruiting class in recent history, but if next year's class is as advertised, there has NEVER been back-to-back classes like this year's and next year's.

In the current state of the program we are not going to get many blue-chip, come right in and change the program, type of players, but Coach is putting together a lot of players who have a lot of ability that when they mature and grow as a team are going to be a VERY tough team to beat when they are juniors and sophomores. Then when you start winning a lot of games you attract a more elite level of player and all of a sudden you have a program to be reckoned with.

In my view, we are clearly headed in the right direction, and I cannot understand why some ardent fans are so down on the state of the program.

On the radio with Frank this morning Coach Moser mentioned that could easily go out and get some JUCO players as a "quick fix" to help with the youth on this team (next year 12 scholarship players are going to be freshmen or sophomores) but they want to build long-term success. I completely agree with this philosophy. You can make an argument about whether or not this current group of freshmen is the best recruiting class in recent history, but if next year's class is as advertised, there has NEVER been back-to-back classes like this year's and next year's.

In the current state of the program we are not going to get many blue-chip, come right in and change the program, type of players, but Coach is putting together a lot of players who have a lot of ability that when they mature and grow as a team are going to be a VERY tough team to beat when they are juniors and sophomores. Then when you start winning a lot of games you attract a more elite level of player and all of a sudden you have a program to be reckoned with.

In my view, we are clearly headed in the right direction, and I cannot understand why some ardent fans are so down on the state of the program.

Good post. I'm on board, however, I wish TL and KL would put this years team on their back for a couple wins.

And I wouldn't have minded having a good juco or two around right now.

I agree that a JUCO big or a JUCO who could back up at the point would, on the surface, appear to be just what this "team" needs. However, recruiting strong freshmen take a "program"much further. Once we have established ourselves then we can fill-in JUCO players to patch some holes on particular teams, but we are not there right now. I like what the staff is doing in that regard

Not trying to speak for others, but I'm disappointed in the relative lack of growth in TL and KL's games under RM. I also thought RM would coach us to better performances than we have seen on the road.

I agree 100% that things are headed in the right direction. I'm excited for the future, I just wish there was a little performance by the team and coaches over the last year and a half.

I don't see where one impact JUCO (say pg) would hurt for next season. I don't think that would be a quick fix, but rounding out a team.

Really my only complaint would be not getting a quality juco to bridge the experience gap. In an earlier blog, Timmermann mentioned that Majerus has not ruled out getting a juco. They did pursue the juco from Texas who wound up signing with Utah, so hopefully they haven't closed that door.

Good post. I'm on board, however, I wish TL and KL would put this years team on their back for a couple wins.

I'm also on board but we can't lose sight of the fact that KL and TL are the focus of every team we play. I don't think they've regressed, they just don't have the luxury of a very veteran presence (like IV was) allowing them to play to their potential. They're in a tough spot as they try to carry this team.

I support the overall direction of the program under Coach Majerus and am confident that he knows what he is doing.

That being said, I would support plugging some holes and/or providing depth with a JUCO, or two, or three. I realize there are always issues academically at SLU re JUCO's, as does Coach Majerus.

The modern benchmark for success at SLU still has to be Spoon, and Spoon certainly was not adverse to JUCO's. He had a star JUCO in Donnie Dobbs. He filled in with JUCO's like David Robinson, Donnie Campbell, and Carl Turner. He also had a star transfer from UNLV in H Waldman.

SLU could use a Carl Turner coming off the bench and spelling K. Mitchell at point guard right now.

I'm also on board but we can't lose sight of the fact that KL and TL are the focus of every team we play. I don't think they've regressed, they just don't have the luxury of a very veteran presence (like IV was) allowing them to play to their potential. They're in a tough spot as they try to carry this team.

Agreed re Lisch and Liddell being the focus of the opposition- the latest to say it was the Richmond coach on Sunday. The opponents know full well that they are the go to guys.

I've always believed you could have a good team with three top flight players with decent role players filling in the gaps. We only have two. They're too easy to focus on without a third option.

I think the coaching staff should have done a better job of roster construction during the off season. The team only had 12 scholarship players coming into the season. This includes Daniel Lisch who was never expected to play for the program and one freshman John who was redshirting. This means one scholarship was saved and 2 were given to players not playing this year, basically 3 open scholarships. I am glad John is redshirting, that is a long term help for the program. I just think one of the other 2 scholarships should have been spent on a JUCO player to provide depth for this season & next season.

With Cotto leaving at semester and now some injuries happening--which seem to happen every year so the coaching staff should not be surprised by this, the team is very short handed. I am glad they coaching staff is taking a long term outlook on improving the program, but failure to use 2 scholarships has really hurt this years team & probably next years as well.

I think the coaching staff should have done a better job of roster construction during the off season. The team only had 12 scholarship players coming into the season. This includes Daniel Lisch who was never expected to play for the program and one freshman John who was redshirting. This means one scholarship was saved and 2 were given to players not playing this year, basically 3 open scholarships. I am glad John is redshirting, that is a long term help for the program. I just think one of the other 2 scholarships should have been spent on a JUCO player to provide depth for this season & next season.

With Cotto leaving at semester and now some injuries happening--which seem to happen every year so the coaching staff should not be surprised by this, the team is very short handed. I am glad they coaching staff is taking a long term outlook on improving the program, but failure to use 2 scholarships has really hurt this years team & probably next years as well.

They tried and offered two JUCOs in Harrellson and Read but one went to Kentucky and one went to Utah. I think there was one other guy but I think they either lost interest or the credits didnt add up

As I've posted on here many times, let's see where we are in year 4. IMO, with the facilities and all of the other big advatages RM has, he ought to put up at least 20 wins and a top 3 or 4 finish in the A10 by year 4. I thin we'll get there, but if not, he'd better have a good explanation.

As I've posted on here many times, let's see where we are in year 4. IMO, with the facilities and all of the other big advatages RM has, he ought to put up at least 20 wins and a top 3 or 4 finish in the A10 by year 4. I thin we'll get there, but if not, he'd better have a good explanation.

Very fair Footes. I would agree. If the current group of freshmen all stay at SLU and next year's class is as good as advertised we should be winning 20+ games and going 11-5 or so in conference by Coach's 4th year. I think Majerus expects that. I just wish people would not expecting for it to happen yesterday.

Very fair Footes. I would agree. If the current group of freshmen all stay at SLU and next year's class is as good as advertised we should be winning 20+ games and going 11-5 or so in conference by Coach's 4th year. I think Majerus expects that. I just wish people would not expecting for it to happen yesterday.

Isn't that what fans do though and especially the more passionate fans that post on message boards? Fans do not want to hear about what we can do in four years, they want to know why we are not winning now. There are legitimate concerns with the current squad that at least bring some question as to whether or not it is a certainty we are headed for big time success. One would look at the seemingly downward trend of Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell since Majerus took over and question why these guys did not develop and continue to improve to the level we had all anticipated, which would be all-conference players. Will the current freshmen develop and reach their potential under the same coaches? Regardless of what people think of Tommie and Kevin they are still by far our two best players, what happens once they are gone? There are a lot more question marks than I had hoped after two seasons of the Majerus era. I have gone to almost every Billiken game over the past two seasons and I cannot tell you with certainty what it is a Majerus coached team will be able to hang its hat on. I look at the recruits Majerus has brought in and it does calm my anxiety a little bit, but there are still a lot of question marks in my opinion.