is there any reason to be concerned about the lack

of depth at PG next year? I see Mitchell as starter and Cassity as back up. What am i missing?

It has been said that Salecich can play the point as well. As long as Mitchell is healthy I don't think there is a problem. He will likely be playing big minutes next year and the backup will only have to spell him for short stretches. Now if he gets hurt there would be a big problem, but you could say that about any position if the starter gets hurt.

It has been said that Salecich can play the point as well. As long as Mitchell is healthy I don't think there is a problem. He will likely be playing big minutes next year and the backup will only have to spell him for short stretches. Now if he gets hurt there would be a big problem, but you could say that about any position if the starter gets hurt.

I would not worry too much about it - no team has every position backed up perfectly on their depth chart. We have at least 2 who can play and if necessary PE can fill in for a short spell given the right circumstances.

-we are Billikens fans, we should be concerned about everything Billiken related as something invariably happens!!!!

of depth at PG next year? I see Mitchell as starter and Cassity as back up. What am i missing?

With 2 very large classes, our roster does not represent the ideal - balance of Srs, Jrs, Sophs and Frosh - with 3 to 4 recruits each year; however, I don't see the advantage of having 2 really good PGs with one being a Soph and the other a Freshman. It would seem better to have a 2 year gap so that you had your experienced PG being a Jr/Sr while your guy in-training being a Freshman/Sophomore. Next year's priority would seem to be a PG.

With 2 very large classes, our roster does not represent the ideal - balance of Srs, Jrs, Sophs and Frosh - with 3 to 4 recruits each year; however, I don't see the advantage of having 2 really good PGs with one being a Soph and the other a Freshman. It would seem better to have a 2 year gap so that you had your experienced PG being a Jr/Sr while your guy in-training being a Freshman/Sophomore. Next year's priority would seem to be a PG.

I completely agree. Which is why I was not too concerned with the loss of bryant allen. I do see we are recruiting jeff gasser, a PG from the class of 2010 so it seems like majerus is on the smae page

Guest BillikenReport

I completely agree. Which is why I was not too concerned with the loss of bryant allen. I do see we are recruiting jeff gasser, a PG from the class of 2010 so it seems like majerus is on the smae page

And Majerus is also recruiting a point guard from the Class of 2009.

Im assuming you;re talking about vee sanford. He seems to fill two needs, shooter and backup pg

There seems to be 2 different arguments being made. One is to spread the PGs out by 2 years and the other, which is the point I was trying to make, is to recruit a back up for next year because all we would have is Mitchell and Cassity, and woe is us if Mitchell goes down

You guys should check out Nate's site. There are some PG plays out there.

I'm a little worried about the point situation--for THIS year. I think KM is the player we could

least afford to lose to injury.

From the sounds of it, the kids we've talked to/offered are good PG finds, as was Mitchell.

It's amazing how a talented PG can make a solid-but-not-great Post look like the real deal.

Guest BillikenReport

Im assuming you;re talking about vee sanford. He seems to fill two needs, shooter and backup pg

Yes.

If they don't get him, I don't know if there's another point guard out there worth going after. Dave Telep told me recently that there aren't very many point guards still available in this class.

I've seen kids that the SLU coaching staff has passed on, even though they had scholarships available and could have added a player to help their depth. So I honestly believe that Majerus isn't just recruiting kids to add bodies — other than a walk-on caliber player like D-Lisch — and would rather hold on to a scholarship than offer it to someone for four years who can't help the team.

There seems to be 2 different arguments being made. One is to spread the PGs out by 2 years and the other, which is the point I was trying to make, is to recruit a back up for next year because all we would have is Mitchell and Cassity, and woe is us if Mitchell goes down

I think you're point is very valid and I agree with it. I also think that if we can find a shooter who is also a backup pg that is very useful. If kyle can run the point next year we should be ok. Also, if we do get sanford I would be in favor of redshirting salecich (granted I dont know that much about him right now)

You guys should check out Nate's site. There are some PG plays out there.

to be fair, nates site lists two pgs: bryant allen and sanford. Allen has already committed to Minn. As nate said, most good pgs would be gone by this point.

Guest BillikenReport

I think you're point is very valid and I agree with it. I also think that if we can find a shooter who is also a backup pg that is very useful. If kyle can run the point next year we should be ok. Also, if we do get sanford I would be in favor of redshirting salecich (granted I dont know that much about him right now)

I don't think there is a drastic need for a back-up point guard if guys like Cassity and Salecich and maybe even John can help out there.

How can you say you would be in favor of redshirting Salecich when you know nothing about him? Salecich could start next year.

I don't think there is a drastic need for a back-up point guard if guys like Cassity and Salecich and maybe even John can help out there.

How can you say you would be in favor of redshirting Salecich when you know nothing about him? Salecich could start next year.

I think it would help to balance out the classes I have never seen him play, you are right to question my thoughts on that. HOwever, from what i have gathered on here it appears that his best attribute is shooting yet, he shot 28% from three last year. If Sanford can fill that role as shooter and backup pg. Why not give Salecich some to get acclimated with the states, learn the system while not being rushed into play.

I Obviously, that is a very basic opinion. I do not really know much about him but it seems from the outset to be an ok idea

I'm more worried about the first situation than the injury scenario you mention. The PG is the floor leader - often the equivalent to the QB. Just like QB controversies are not good, the same can be likely with disgruntled players. Sure, competition is good but bad recruiting choices can also hurt team chemistry.

I agree. Christian put up 15 points last summer in a tournament against a US team loaded with top 25 ranked players. This kid has played--and played well--against the top talent in the world for his age group.

You do a good job following the recruiting. You probably haven't seen many of these kids play, but just based on your research, how would you rank the new recruits? I know it is difficult to do sight unseen, but for fun I will go - 1) Ellis 2) Salecich 3) Smith 4) Reid 5) Remekun

Guest BillikenReport

You do a good job following the recruiting. You probably haven't seen many of these kids play, but just based on your research, how would you rank the new recruits? I know it is difficult to do sight unseen, but for fun I will go - 1) Ellis 2) Salecich 3) Smith 4) Reid 5) Remekun

Thanks. I haven't seen any of those kids play, unfortunately, other than some video clips.

I haven't really thought about ranking them like that. The way I'm looking at it, I wouldn't be surprised if Ellis, Salecich or Reid starts next season — or maybe even all three of them. But I'm expecting those three to be the most ready to contribute right away, with Smith and Remekun not being as ready because of the need to get bigger. Adding those five to the mix gives Majerus a lot of options next year.

Thanks. I haven't seen any of those kids play, unfortunately, other than some video clips.

I haven't really thought about ranking them like that. The way I'm looking at it, I wouldn't be surprised if Ellis, Salecich or Reid starts next season — or maybe even all three of them. But I'm expecting those three to be the most ready to contribute right away, with Smith and Remekun not being as ready because of the need to get bigger. Adding those five to the mix gives Majerus a lot of options next year.

Can you really see all three? We know Kwamain and brian will probably start next year, I think Willie and probably Kyle will as well. ALthough, if Brett works hard he could as well. I dont think as many freshman will start next year because of the learning curve.

As far as ranking the recruits I know very little. I am very excited about Reid, and I think Smith will be good. I have no idea what to think about Salecich and Ellis.

When I think of Jonathon Smith I get the image of a young derrick brown, does anyone else see that

You know I kind of enjoy all this second guessing that goes on on this board and seeing as how I am retired I have the time.

BUT, I think we should all take a step back and enjoy the ride.

We have a great coach and an increasingly better team. Let's have fun and enjoy the trip.

I see us in the NCAA tourney in both 11 and 12.

I really cann't afford the season tickets I have but I will continue to scrimp and save so I can maintain them and be able to whitness the best basket ball in the history of SLU basketball.

QUITE WORRING ABOUT IT AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

You know I kind of enjoy all this second guessing that goes on on this board and seeing as how I am retired I have the time.

BUT, I think we should all take a step back and enjoy the ride.

We have a great coach and an increasingly better team. Let's have fun and enjoy the trip.

I see us in the NCAA tourney in both 11 and 12.

I really cann't afford the season tickets I have but I will continue to scrimp and save so I can maintain them and be able to whitness the best basket ball in the history of SLU basketball.

QUITE WORRING ABOUT IT AND ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

Here here, drkelsey! Hopefully our investment portfolios will gain value this year, because right now would definitely be the wrong time to get rid of your season tickets. I think right now we are on the verge of an uptick we have never seen before. I think our coach is having the time of his life; nothing makes you feel more alive than doing your job really well. Well, on second thought I can think of one other thing... gotta go upstairs and see if I can get lucky.

Here here, drkelsey! Hopefully our investment portfolios will gain value this year, because right now would definitely be the wrong time to get rid of your season tickets. I think right now we are on the verge of an uptick we have never seen before. I think our coach is having the time of his life; nothing makes you feel more alive than doing your job really well. Well, on second thought I can think of one other thing... gotta go upstairs and see if I can get lucky.

That's not fair, mine is probably at the boat spending my money and I am here alone!

Can you really see all three? We know Kwamain and brian will probably start next year, I think Willie and probably Kyle will as well. ALthough, if Brett works hard he could as well. I dont think as many freshman will start next year because of the learning curve.

As far as ranking the recruits I know very little. I am very excited about Reid, and I think Smith will be good. I have no idea what to think about Salecich and Ellis.

When I think of Jonathon Smith I get the image of a young derrick brown, does anyone else see that

As Rickma says starting is for high school. They will all have a chance to play a lot of minutes.

I see next years starting lineup being

1 - Kwamain

2 - Salecich

3 - Reid

4 - Conklin

5 - Reed (possibly Thompson if he puts in the work over the summer)

Ellis would be the first big off the bench and could potentially take Conklin's starting spot if he improves. Cassity would be the first guard off the bench.

I'll try my hand as ranking the incoming class as well with very little knowledge of them at all. I'm going to go Reid, Ellis, Salecich, Smith, Remekun for 1st year production. I think Smith may be potentially the best in the long run b/c apparently he is the best athlete.