SIU-C transfers

JMM28

Your comment about him being the most talented player on the roster next year is absolutely ridiculous. With Wille, Conklin, KM already better and with BT and KC putting on muscle and with Femi developing and with 4 outstanding recruits who are tough and athletic coming in -- it would not be a stretch to say that he would not be in the top half dozen.

But can those others dunk as well as Roundtree? :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect your enthusiasm for our local guys and your insights into upcoming D 1 players in St. Louis--although I would think there are fewer than you would suggest.

But on this one, I do not see your point at all. There is no place for Roundtree on this team. What we need is another point guard and another center.

Also, just because a guy was a good player in a wide open system in high school does not mean he will at all fit in with Coach's very disciplined approach.

I hope he can land on his feet but I cannot see any reason for the Bills to want to talk to him.

Your comment about him being the most talented player on the roster next year is absolutely ridiculous. With Wille, Conklin, KM already better and with BT and KC putting on muscle and with Femi developing and with 4 outstanding recruits who are tough and athletic coming in -- it would not be a stretch to say that he would not be in the top half dozen.

It was far from a wide open system in high school. Did you see him play? And you mention KC and BT putting on muscle, but why is it you think he hasnt put on muscle too? And how are those guys better for sure? Roundtree was starting, got hurt and never regained his spot because he was never 100%.

So he gets hurt, loses playing time, pouts and then leaves after one semester... sure sounds like someone coach Majerus would want. Maybe I'll be surprised on this one.

I heard a coach say once...

The danger of recruiting too many local kids is that they all won't be able to play and be a star....

you have to not only try to keep them happy with their situation, but you also have to keep their high school coaches happy, their parents happy, their friends happy, the local media that covered them in high school happy, etc etc etc

Roundtree has already shown that he is not a happy camper, and Majerus's practices aren't exactly summer camp.

Roundtree was starting, got hurt and never regained his spot because he was never 100%.

AND HE QUIT. He quit on his teammates who now have to practice shorthanded, he quit on his coach who invested a lot of time and effort in recruiting him, and he quit on his school. And he quit at semester even though he will never get this spring's eligibility back. Why would Majerus have any interest in an undisciplined athlete who did not have the makeup to last a full year?

AND HE QUIT. He quit on his teammates who now have to practice shorthanded, he quit on his coach who invested a lot of time and effort in recruiting him, and he quit on his school. And he quit at semester even though he will never get this spring's eligibility back. Why would Majerus have any interest in an undisciplined athlete who did not have the makeup to last a full year?

Is it quitting when coaches bolt every year for greener pastures? The players have to do what they think is best just like the coaches. I dont think its smart eligibility-wise, but I definitely dont fault him for it. A few years back Majerus started a season with a team and didnt finish. He's not being crucified for it.

Is it quitting when coaches bolt every year for greener pastures? The players have to do what they think is best just like the coaches. I dont think its smart eligibility-wise, but I definitely dont fault him for it. A few years back Majerus started a season with a team and didnt finish. He's not being crucified for it.

He was totally crucified for it........it got brought up every time he looked at a job......

How many people thought? Majerus, cool....but will his health hold up?

Is it really a greener pasture when you have to sit out for 1 full year or when you give up scholarship for one year and all the other perks that come with being a DI athlete? Sounds like a gamble to me. Who's going to offer? many of the scholarship are already taken. Are you really going to come in and start after sitting out for 1 year and just take over the boys that have put in there time and prooven their talent and dedication already? I doubt it..

Is it really a greener pasture when you have to sit out for 1 full year or when you give up scholarship for one year and all the other perks that come with being a DI athlete? Sounds like a gamble to me. Who's going to offer? many of the scholarship are already taken. Are you really going to come in and start after sitting out for 1 year and just take over the boys that have put in there time and prooven their talent and dedication already? I doubt it..

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/dec/19/sports/sp-reid19

STL. Are you serious? Are you so beholden to "your" local boys that you cannot think/post straight? If coaches quit on their teams half way thru the year, then, to answer your question, "Yes" that would be wrong too. The difference, of course, is that 99% of all coaches who leave for another program actually finish the season with their existing team. I cannot think of many coaches who have quit - other than Bobby Knight - for reasons other than health/family reasons and yes, I had a real problem with Knight quitting as well. Your example of RM is not a good comparison in that he changed his mind without first ever coaching there. Big difference IMO. If your boy Roundtree left after the year, then the comparision would be more similar to what coaches do and had Roundtree done so, then he would not be a "quiter." In that he did leave DURING the season, then I consider him (and Cotto) to both be QUITTERS who have shown poor judgment both on and off the court. No quality team would want either of them - no matter what talent they might have. Good riddens.

Is it quitting when coaches bolt every year for greener pastures?

yes

The players have to do what they think is best just like the coaches. I dont think its smart eligibility-wise, but I definitely dont fault him for it. A few years back Majerus started a season with a team and didnt finish. He's not being crucified for it.

you would have to ask the los angeles citizens. but my guess is that rickma doesnt get invited to thanksgiving in usc fans homes.

STL. Are you serious? Are you so beholden to "your" local boys that you cannot think/post straight? If coaches quit on their teams half way thru the year, then, to answer your question, "Yes" that would be wrong too. The difference, of course, is that 99% of all coaches who leave for another program actually finish the season with their existing team. I cannot think of many coaches who have quit - other than Bobby Knight - for reasons other than health/family reasons and yes, I had a real problem with Knight quitting as well. Your example of RM is not a good comparison in that he changed his mind without first ever coaching there. Big difference IMO. If your boy Roundtree left after the year, then the comparision would be more similar to what coaches do and had Roundtree done so, then he would not be a "quiter." In that he did leave DURING the season, then I consider him (and Cotto) to both be QUITTERS who have shown poor judgment both on and off the court. No quality team would want either of them - no matter what talent they might have. Good riddens.

So Gonzaga didnt want Micah Downs after he left Kansas after one semester? This happens all over the country at the high-major to low-major schools. It was known with this class that all 7 would not play and that some would leave. With that understanding and the situation Cotto was in, I think he's been unfairly slandered by some on this board. Thats all I have to say on this matter. You wont get another post out of me in this thread.

Guest BillikenReport

STLHI,

You changed the subject on quitting. Cotto and Roundtree quit and that will be with them for the rest of their college basketball careers. Cotto is more likely to resurface at a D-1 school because he has a connection to La Salle. Roundtree needs a coach like Chris Lowery to kick him in the backside to get him to fulfill his great potential. But Roundtree couldn't handle playing for Lowery, so he quit.

Cotto and Roundtree quitting is different than Majerus leaving the USC job after a few days. Yes, Majerus quit. But he did so before he even had a chance to really even start working at that job and with those players. As for what happens when coaches leave for better jobs, the players get a bad deal under those circumstances. But those players transferring isn't the same as Cotto and Roundtree quitting at midseason.

With Soderberg coaching the Billikens, Roundtree would have been a good recruit for SLU. Majerus will be able to get recruits who better fit his system.

Roundtree could have been one of the better players in the Missouri Valley Conference after a few years. Instead, he could have trouble landing at another Division I school after a stop at a JUCO.

Roundtree was a decent high school player without a true position. Chris Lowery was foolish to even sign the kid. He's the type of player that is good enough to get you FIRED!!! I agree with STLHI that Majerus quit too, but that's ok ? Majerus is a JOKE and SLU will be lucky to win 4 more games this season. They can barely beat the cupcake teams on their schedule.

We are looking at three local kids quitting after one semester. Derron Hobbs(Missouri State), Cotto(SLU), and Roundtree(SIUC). Why? It's really simple. They were not good enough! Each of these players should have gone to a JUCO from the begin. Chris Lowery and Cuonzo Martin are putting their jobs on the line signing St.louis kids that are not ready.

STLHI,

You changed the subject on quitting. Cotto and Roundtree quit and that will be with them for the rest of their college basketball careers. Cotto is more likely to resurface at a D-1 school because he has a connection to La Salle. Roundtree needs a coach like Chris Lowery to kick him in the backside to get him to fulfill his great potential. But Roundtree couldn't handle playing for Lowery, so he quit.

Cotto and Roundtree quitting is different than Majerus leaving the USC job after a few days. Yes, Majerus quit. But he did so before he even had a chance to really even start working at that job and with those players. As for what happens when coaches leave for better jobs, the players get a bad deal under those circumstances. But those players transferring isn't the same as Cotto and Roundtree quitting at midseason.

With Soderberg coaching the Billikens, Roundtree would have been a good recruit for SLU. Majerus will be able to get recruits who better fit his system.

Roundtree could have been one of the better players in the Missouri Valley Conference after a few years. Instead, he could have trouble landing at another Division I school after a stop at a JUCO.

So Gonzaga didnt want Micah Downs after he left Kansas after one semester? This happens all over the country at the high-major to low-major schools. It was known with this class that all 7 would not play and that some would leave. With that understanding and the situation Cotto was in, I think he's been unfairly slandered by some on this board. Thats all I have to say on this matter. You wont get another post out of me in this thread.

Thank you for that. Your idea of personal responsibility and/or accountability leaves alot to be desired. What someone else did has nothing to do with Cotto. You clearly believe if you can justify something in your head it's ok.

Good story from Vahe on the situation in Carbondale:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...F0?OpenDocument

Roundtree hasn't even talked to Lowery about leaving the school. He left a voicemail.

nate thanks for that link. interesting story. my favorite is roundtree's disappointment in the siu style of play. my gosh they have only been playing that way since weber was the coach. what the heck did he expect?

and to not have the decency to have a sit down with lowery is horrible.

that kid is a mess.

Roundtree was a decent high school player without a true position. Chris Lowery was foolish to even sign the kid. He's the type of player that is good enough to get you FIRED!!! I agree with STLHI that Majerus quit too, but that's ok ? Majerus is a JOKE and SLU will be lucky to win 4 more games this season. They can barely beat the cupcake teams on their schedule.

We are looking at three local kids quitting after one semester. Derron Hobbs(Missouri State), Cotto(SLU), and Roundtree(SIUC). Why? It's really simple. They were not good enough! Each of these players should have gone to a JUCO from the begin. Chris Lowery and Cuonzo Martin are putting their jobs on the line signing St.louis kids that are not ready.

You are an idiot! Why do you even bother to come here to post. You hate the Bills so go post somewhere else. One of the cupcakes we beat just beat the invincible No 1 North Carolina.

-since we will have nothing more on this from stlhi i will ask the board, i do not recall a post in any thread that was overly harsh or unfair to cotto considering the circumstances, am i missing/forgetting something?

-for roundtree to say he was not happy with the style of play has me completely astounded, as roy said, they have not changed a thing

-that is like going to a gas station and expecting a gourmet meal

-for him to not talk to the coach is not a good sign for when he is going to try to play somewhere else, although there will always be the coach that will overlook that and say "it won't happen here" or "i can contral that" , but i would think it cuts down on potential suitors

-i guess i missed that hobbs left mosu

considering the cotto facts, this board our coaching staff and slu have been far more patient and understanding and overly kind to cotto imo. the young man has a lot to learn.

Again, SLU will be lucky to win four more games! Their season is pretty much over now. I have to agree with you Billikan, beating Boston College 53-50 was huge considering the schedule ahead of them. It's really too bad that Majerus is being allowed to destroy the program. He will soon find a way to bench Reed and play Thompson.

You are an idiot! Why do you even bother to come here to post. You hate the Bills so go post somewhere else. One of the cupcakes we beat just beat the invincible No 1 North Carolina.

Again, SLU will be lucky to win four more games! Their season is pretty much over now. I have to agree with you Billikan, beating Boston College 53-50 was huge considering the schedule ahead of them. It's really too bad that Majerus is being allowed to destroy the program. He will soon find a way to bench Reed and play Thompson.

I was going to post that your mom is a fat slag, but that seemed harsh.

Posted Image

SLU will more than likely go on a 6 game losing streak.