Tom's Blog -- Liberty game

bonwich

Tom's Blog

I'm pretty sure this is even longer than his game story. Lots of good stuff.

Not to mention he questions, from his courtside seat, the awarding of the ball to Liberty on the final play. I couldn't see that one, 'cause it was a bit more subtle than having your star guard tackled on an inbounds play, or having opponents take four or five steps for layups because they're so good at "attacking the basket." Of course, this is simply "blaming the refs," as opposed to, say, expecting minimum levels of competence, but perhaps they're securities regulators for their day jobs and not much is expected of them.

Tom's Blog

I'm pretty sure this is even longer than his game story. Lots of good stuff.

Not to mention he questions, from his courtside seat, the awarding of the ball to Liberty on the final play. I couldn't see that one, 'cause it was a bit more subtle than having your star guard tackled on an inbounds play, or having opponents take four or five steps for layups because they're so good at "attacking the basket." Of course, this is simply "blaming the refs," as opposed to, say, expecting minimum levels of competence, but perhaps they're securities regulators for their day jobs and not much is expected of them.

The last play was right in front of me, and it did appear to come off Kevin last. Now Curry's walk right smack in front of the official was an amazing no call. He stumbled and took at least 4 steps.

About 5,100, I think. Solid attendance in the upper level center court and in the end courts, with the exception of the students. Probably less than 50 percent in the good seats. The Band was in break mode for attendance but still managed its outstanding work; the student section had maybe 100-150.

Re: Center Court. I reiterate my proposal that Billiken Club members and/or season ticket holders be allowed to purchase those seats on a single-game basis for a $5-$10 upgrade fee.

It was something of a late arriving crowd. Five minutes before the game it looked like they'd play in front of about 500 people. But a few minutes in the crowd looked about as big as it was Wednesday night which was 5000+.

Student section was all but empty which if it ever is to be expected this would be the night being after finals and the weekend before Christmas. The band still had a full group which was nice. There were a lot of families and little kids there.

It was something of a late arriving crowd. Five minutes before the game it looked like they'd play in front of about 500 people. But a few minutes in the crowd looked about as big as it was Wednesday night which was 5000+.

Student section was all but empty which if it ever is to be expected this would be the night being after finals and the weekend before Christmas. The band still had a full group which was nice. There were a lot of families and little kids there.

I have to commend section 204 for consistently being the most full section at every game. It is also interesting to note that the north end of the building (main entrance side) is always more full than the south side. Obviously all the octagenarians thought about the length of their walk when they were picking out their seats.

Students were offered the chance to buy a companion ticket to the games over break for $10. It is usually only 1 ticket per student ID. I have mixed feelings about that. What if you have a friend coming in or your momma and you just wanted to sit in the student section? It isn't sold out, but then again it is reserved for students. So it's a mixed bag.

I hope to make it to a game this year. I'm bummed I missed the first one in the Fetz.

About 5,100, I think. Solid attendance in the upper level center court and in the end courts, with the exception of the students. Probably less than 50 percent in the good seats. The Band was in break mode for attendance but still managed its outstanding work; the student section had maybe 100-150.

Re: Center Court. I reiterate my proposal that Billiken Club members and/or season ticket holders be allowed to purchase those seats on a single-game basis for a $5-$10 upgrade fee.

Thanks

You're right, there was practically no one there right as the warm-ups were ending, but it ended up being a good crowd.

BTW, the musical chairs game at half time was a lot of fun. I think everyone was rooting for Katie.