a-10 up to 7th highest ranked rpi conference

billiken_roy

saturday was a huge day for the conference!

unfortunately this horrible schedule that the billikens have has us at 268. at least we are ahead of fordham.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saturday was a huge day for the conference!

unfortunately this horrible schedule that the billikens have has us at 268. at least we are ahead of fordham.

We all know that our schedule is not very tough but we will be better served to just win these games and things will all work out once we get to the conference schedule.

We all know that our schedule is not very tough but we will be better served to just win these games and things will all work out once we get to the conference schedule.

please detail how "things will all work out". thanks.

After this year we don't get to whine about GW from a few years back or conference RPI in general for a while....

-was GW in their second year under their coach expected to play 7 frosh?

unfortunately this horrible schedule that the billikens have has us at 268. at least we are ahead of fordham

-glad we are unbeaten with this horrible schedule!!! wow coach, you should have put together the anti-syracuse schedule, that being 10 non-conf road games against, unc, ucla, texas, gonz, memphis, lville, pitt, gtwn, tenn and mich st to show our frosh what they could become, if they were to ever get their confidence back after such drubbings

unfortunately this horrible schedule that the billikens have has us at 268. at least we are ahead of fordham

-glad we are unbeaten with this horrible schedule!!! wow coach, you should have put together the anti-syracuse schedule, that being 10 non-conf road games against, unc, ucla, texas, gonz, memphis, lville, pitt, gtwn, tenn and mich st to show our frosh what they could become, if they were to ever get their confidence back after such drubbings

gw's coach wasnt the past record and reputation of rickma and the 7 freshmen thing was rickma's doing. he shouldnt get a pass on a circumstance he created.

as to your idiotic sarcasm cowboy, the point is with the schedule that rickma put out there, he has no room for error. if we had a few top 100 games remaining besides possibly creighton, win those we get to vanquish the siu and detroit losses. no one is begging for your dream schedule "unc, ucla, texas, gonz, memphis, lville, pitt, gtwn, tenn and mich st", but we didnt need 7 buy game foes.

Even If we were undefeated in the nonconference this schedule would not get us to the dance.

I'm not suggesting we go Savannah State and go on a 13 game road trip through the SEC. I am also not suggesting this was a great year to beef up the schedule

All I am saying is that our rpi sucks this year and you can blame Brad' recruiting or Rick's system or the players or the refs or whatever. This year we are letting the conference down with a crappy RPI. There is no possible dispute about that fact.

Lighten up, Cowboy

I finally came around on our schedule needing to be light in order for the youngsters to learn how to play, but I think it's a little ridiculous that you are dismissing this PISS POOR ranking so easily. It's as if absolutely NO thought went into the RPI when determing the schedule. It is embarrassing. We are not in the top one hundred. We are not in the top 200. We are barely in the top 300 and I firmly believe there are not 267 teams better than us. It would have been nice...and I think it should be expected...that SOME effort be put into utilizing the RPI with scheduling. It very clearly was NOT a consideration.

I finally came around on our schedule needing to be light in order for the youngsters to learn how to play, but I think it's a little ridiculous that you are dismissing this PISS POOR ranking so easily. It's as if absolutely NO thought went into the RPI when determing the schedule. It is embarrassing. We are not in the top one hundred. We are not in the top 200. We are barely in the top 300 and I firmly believe there are not 267 teams better than us. It would have been nice...and I think it should be expected...that SOME effort be put into utilizing the RPI with scheduling. It very clearly was NOT a consideration.

The RPI is a fickle tool. Look at SIUC's RPI for example. In any case you are right. This schedule looks as devoted to keeping Coach's string of winning seaons alive than anything else. Don't you always have to try to put yourself in a position for post season? Even if you fail?

Scheduling was a primary reason for the arena. Now scheduling is harder? No one wants to come and play us? That is a pretty sorry excuse.

To everybody bitching about the strength of schedule....

Do you realize why we are ranked so low? Its not the wins against the bad teams that are causing the problems. Its the loss at home against a team ranked 168 and the losses on the road against a team ranked 318 (Detroit) and 251 (SIU) that are killing us. I didn't hear anybody complaining about the Kent St., SIU and Detroit games as "problems" on this schedule before the season started.

The win against Savanah St. (151) looks pretty good right now. And if we are lucky enough to beat Liberty (59) we'll look better.

Of course, we could have scheduled another two good teams instead of Savannah St. and Samford and we'd probably have at least one more loss and would be at 2-5 per the RPI calculation. Is that what people want?

At the end of the day, our poor RPI is the result of our poor play.

Why does it matter what our RPI is this year? It's highly unlikely that we are going to the NIT or the NCAA, and it has nothing to do with our RPI. If we are on the bubble at the end of the year and we are all wishing "damnit, I wish our RPI was higher" I will buy you all a beer. It's a schedule that fits this team right now.

gw's coach wasnt the past record and reputation of rickma and the 7 freshmen thing was rickma's doing. he shouldnt get a pass on a circumstance he created.

as to your idiotic sarcasm cowboy, the point is with the schedule that rickma put out there, he has no room for error. if we had a few top 100 games remaining besides possibly creighton, win those we get to vanquish the siu and detroit losses. no one is begging for your dream schedule "unc, ucla, texas, gonz, memphis, lville, pitt, gtwn, tenn and mich st", but we didnt need 7 buy game foes.

-right, rick created the circumstance where we have the roster we currently have as he inherited a loaded cupboard :blink:

-the schedule debate is growing as tiresome as the a10 vs mvc

-i'll say this again, i would not be surprised to see next year's schedule much different than this year's, so let's start bitching about that now and get it over with

-where did i ever say what i posted was a "dream schedule"?

-you continually say how upset you are with the schedule and i continually say how i see the point the coach is making with the schedule

-how about this...

-if you stop putting your thoughts out there on the schedule as we have all seen them many times before, i will stop putting my oppsoing view out there as they also have been seen many times countering your view

-but if you continue to post on the schedule, i will continue to post my thoughts

This year we are letting the conference down with a crappy RPI. There is no possible dispute about that fact. - i will buy this if someone can prove how much our schedule will ding a left out bubble team - and that maybe easy to prove

Lighten up, Cowboy-i am trying to shed a few pounds so i can regain them over the holidays

-if you stop putting your thoughts out there on the schedule as we have all seen them many times before, i will stop putting my oppsoing view out there as they also have been seen many times countering your view

-but if you continue to post on the schedule, i will continue to post my thoughts

fine with me, your idiotic response really made you look in touch.

Which of our players that left would be getting minutes this year, and how many. Saying the schedule is due to the 7 freshmen isn't fair. If we didn't have the 7 freshmen and had the players from last year, we'd need an even easier schedule.

I don't like our schedule either, but if it were tougher we'd probably have more losses. We have 1 good game. We couldn't beat Detroit, SIU, or Nebraska on the road, none of them are good.

During the non con, we need to play the best we can. Our only hope (regardless of the schedule to make either the NIT or the NCAA is through conference play and the conference tourney

Why does it matter what our RPI is this year? It's highly unlikely that we are going to the NIT or the NCAA, and it has nothing to do with our RPI. If we are on the bubble at the end of the year and we are all wishing "damnit, I wish our RPI was higher" I will buy you all a beer. It's a schedule that fits this team right now.

The RPI became totally irrelevant for us once we lost at Detroit. Pretty much every year, we have a loss somewhere along the way where I realize, "That's it- no NCAA Tournament unless we win the conference tournament." Detroit was that game this year.

Plus, as Ken Pomeroy's page now says, the RPI isn't the best rating system anymore and there may be less emphasis on it heading forward.

This team was never going to make the tourney unless they win the Conf. Tourney so the schedule does not mean very much other than we only get to see some weak teams which I agree I am not crazy about but it is what it is.

Roy, I hope you are not saying that if DM, MR, AM, and the PF his name escapes me now were on the team that we would be a much better team? If you are then you are "way out there" as Kramer would say.

It would still suck if we were undefeated

Not true.

My RPI math may be a little rough but its still 25% based on your W/L %. Right now we have won 3/7 of our games giving us 0.107 points out of a potential 0.25 points. If we were undefeated we could add 0.143 points to our RPI score. This would increase us from 0.427 to 0.570. Looking at Realtime RPI, that would put us at 70th right in front of UCLA. This doesn't factor in the road/home multipliers so it could be off but hopefully you get the point.

Poor play, not poor scheduling is the fault of our crappy RPI.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

-because i have a different view than you mine is idotic......at least you stay consistent with that

listing "unc, ucla, texas, gonz, memphis, lville, pitt, gtwn, tenn and mich st" as an implied schedule i would have preferred is idiotic. i have long said, dont play the 250+ rpi teams and play the 100-150 rpi teams instead. you were the one that tried to make it out that i meant to play a schedule that might be the 2009 elite 8. that is idiotic.

listing "unc, ucla, texas, gonz, memphis, lville, pitt, gtwn, tenn and mich st" as an implied schedule i would have preferred is idiotic. i have long said, dont play the 250+ rpi teams and play the 100-150 rpi teams instead. you were the one that tried to make it out that i meant to play a schedule that might be the 2009 elite 8. that is idiotic.

-so you can't tell when exaggeration and sarcasm are used for effect? ok, i understand, i'll try to be more careful going forward, but no promises

-so you can't tell when exaggeration and sarcasm are used for effect? ok, i understand, i'll try to be more careful going forward, but no promises

in this discussion your "exaggeration and sarcasm" made no sense. no one wanted a schedule loaded to the gills, but the extreme the other way we went is just embarrassing. take 4 of those horrible games and give us 4 other mid majors and the schedule would have been fine and we likley would not be stuck in rpi pergatory right now or at least have a chance to pull ourselves out.

our only chance now is to just go crazy in conference play. i would say we have to now finish top three in the conference to have an outside shot at any post season.

for those that say we never had a shot at postseason, sorry i was too optimistic for you.