OT: Mizzou going to the NCAA tournament?

(Aside: We get it roy, you guys have small class sizes, which made it easier for you to avoid contact with human beings)

Isn't the whole point of small class sizes to guarantee contact with human beings? Lecture halls are where you can skip, disappear, or find one of a thousand others to take notes for you. Small classes require you to be there and participate.

I know that was just an aside, but anyone who attended college could understand that.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the whole point of small class sizes to guarantee contact with human beings? Lecture halls are where you can skip, disappear, or find one of a thousand others to take notes for you. Small classes require you to be there and participate.

I know that was just an aside, but anyone who attended college could understand that.

How many posters on this board have at least a Bachelor degree, and for those that do, what was your field of study?

Agreed, although our defense was the problem in both the Texas and OU game- specifically the texas game. At some point you gotta make a stop. I do think Chase had a problem with trying to do too much instead of just making the right decision, and it hurt us in all of our losses this year.

MU did not beat a good team last two yrs, you can argue they beat KU last yr but KU is a similar program to MU, no real NFL beef.

MU cannot compete with OU, Texas until they get future NFL muscle up front. MU almost never has an lineman get to the NFL (rare examples like Justin Smith), whereas EVERY year OU and Texas have them on both sides of the line. The MU defense (except for Hood) looked like high school kids vs OU.

Last 10 yrs look at NFL draft, loaded with lineman in 1st three rounds, OU, Texas, USC, Georgia, Fla, LSU, Ohio State, a few more...

Doubt MU will be top 25 program next few yrs, were very, very fortunate to get Chase Daniel, it was an unusual circumstance, and were lucky to get Coffman and Maclin. All great skill players, true, but a fluke.

MU did not beat a good team last two yrs, you can argue they beat KU last yr but KU is a similar program to MU, no real NFL beef.

MU cannot compete with OU, Texas until they get future NFL muscle up front. MU almost never has an lineman get to the NFL (rare examples like Justin Smith), whereas EVERY year OU and Texas have them on both sides of the line. The MU defense (except for Hood) looked like high school kids vs OU.

Last 10 yrs look at NFL draft, loaded with lineman in 1st three rounds, OU, Texas, USC, Georgia, Fla, LSU, Ohio State, a few more...

Doubt MU will be top 25 program next few yrs, were very, very fortunate to get Chase Daniel, it was an unusual circumstance, and were lucky to get Coffman and Maclin. All great skill players, true, but a fluke.

Why was it a fluke?

Mizzou did beat two teams that played in BCS bowl games last season in Illinois and Kansas. And they smashed a solid team from the SEC in the Cotton Bowl. They beat everyone except Oklahoma last year, so to say they did not beat a good team is a little much. They were legitimate last year and I think were capable of beating anyone. They were one half away from playing in the National Championship game.

This year for whatever reason they did not have that same crispness on offense and the defense was just terrible. I am certainly disappointed with how the season turned out based on where we ended last season and heading into the season returning most of the core pieces from a top 5 caliber team.

It is certainly not easy to build a national power year in and year out. Most programs will be mediocre and get that special player or group of players and make a run one or two years and then go back to being mediocre. For Mizzou to be a consistent top 20 team they need to recruit and recruit well, so I certainly agree with your initial comment. That is what it comes down to. The top teams have the top players. It is tough to get those top kids when your team does not win, so now Mizzou has some recent success to sell to these kids beyond just a vision. Mizzou has a solid group of recruits in their freshmen class this year and could be putting together another quality class this year. There are a couple of local guys that will determine just how good this class will be considered. You say Chase Coffman and Jeremy Maclin are flukes for Mizzou, but if you look at some of the recruits over the past couple of classes that may not be the case. With the offense Mizzou has run over the past couple of season they have had some success with getting commitments from highly rated receivers and tight ends. And they have physically the most gifted quarterback maybe to ever set foot on Mizzou's campus in Blaine Gabbert so the cupboards are far from bare in Columbia. Will they take a step back next season, I would think so with the loss of such a successful senior class, but there are some very talented players and more highly regarded recruits waiting in the wings.

Mizzou did beat two teams that played in BCS bowl games last season in Illinois and Kansas. And they smashed a solid team from the SEC in the Cotton Bowl. They beat everyone except Oklahoma last year, so to say they did not beat a good team is a little much. They were legitimate last year and I think were capable of beating anyone. They were one half away from playing in the National Championship game.

This year for whatever reason they did not have that same crispness on offense and the defense was just terrible. I am certainly disappointed with how the season turned out based on where we ended last season and heading into the season returning most of the core pieces from a top 5 caliber team.

It is certainly not easy to build a national power year in and year out. Most programs will be mediocre and get that special player or group of players and make a run one or two years and then go back to being mediocre. For Mizzou to be a consistent top 20 team they need to recruit and recruit well, so I certainly agree with your initial comment. That is what it comes down to. The top teams have the top players. It is tough to get those top kids when your team does not win, so now Mizzou has some recent success to sell to these kids beyond just a vision. Mizzou has a solid group of recruits in their freshmen class this year and could be putting together another quality class this year. There are a couple of local guys that will determine just how good this class will be considered. You say Chase Coffman and Jeremy Maclin are flukes for Mizzou, but if you look at some of the recruits over the past couple of classes that may not be the case. With the offense Mizzou has run over the past couple of season they have had some success with getting commitments from highly rated receivers and tight ends. And they have physically the most gifted quarterback maybe to ever set foot on Mizzou's campus in Blaine Gabbert so the cupboards are far from bare in Columbia. Will they take a step back next season, I would think so with the loss of such a successful senior class, but there are some very talented players and more highly regarded recruits waiting in the wings.

God, who gives a ######. This is a billiken basketball board. I like Mizzou football, but I just have to laugh at the past 2 seasons. All the Mizzou fans that were confident that "this was the year Pinkel was gonna bring it together" are all drinking away their sorrows now.

God, who gives a ######. This is a billiken basketball board. I like Mizzou football, but I just have to laugh at the past 2 seasons. All the Mizzou fans that were confident that "this was the year Pinkel was gonna bring it together" are all drinking away their sorrows now.

Is it hard to figure out that this thread is not about SLU basketball? If you have no interest in contributing to the thread, don't read it. When I log onto billikens.com right now I see a thread about Mizzou, Lacelde's, and the BCS system. I believe all of these threads are marked as off topic and it is not hard for me to get an idea what each thread is about. I think most of the people on here have no problem discussing other topics when Billiken basketball news may be a little slow. If not, this thread should be removed along with the other threads not relevant to SLU basketball.

I hate all things SPUMAC but while this season was disappointing for the tiger faithful, the tigers HAVE come back from the abyss and are no longer the laughingstock of the big 12. Got to give them a bit of credit. If Pinkel can reload after the current crop graduates It'll be more than Mizzou has done previously in my lifetime......

To make it more basketball related anderson is a candy**s for not playing SLU.......

To make it more basketball related anderson is a candy**s for not playing SLU.......

Does anyone know the exact reasons why this game doesn't happen? Is it financial, and if so, what are the terms they can't agree on?

We also need to write Missouri congressmen and have them make it a law for the two programs to play each year- it is that way in a decent amount of other states.

Does anyone know the exact reasons why this game doesn't happen? Is it financial, and if so, what are the terms they can't agree on?

We also need to write Missouri congressmen and have them make it a law for the two programs to play each year- it is that way in a decent amount of other states.

I don't need my congressmen legislating that basketball teams need to play each other.

Good post, I'm not sure they will have much of a drop off at QB, Chase didn't have a gret year and actually played poorly in some big games. Blaine was the top rated dropback qb in the country, of course he still has to prove it on the field, but he certainly has all the tools. I'd love to see them get the Wingo kid at RB and I think Macklin will stay (just a guess) As previously stated where they really need to improve is on the defensive line.

I don't need my congressmen legislating that basketball teams need to play each other.

I know it's a huge reach, I was being somewhat facetious when I made the suggestion. It would probably never happen in Missouri because people don't care enough.

Why would it be bad, though?

I know it's a huge reach, I was being somewhat facetious when I made the suggestion. It would probably never happen in Missouri because people don't care enough.

Why would it be bad, though?

I would love for them to play and now more than ever it probably makes sense for Mizzou to renew this series. Has RM ever commented on this series? I know Sodie wanted to play them but cannot remember if Rickma has wished for the same.

I would love for them to play and now more than ever it probably makes sense for Mizzou to renew this series. Has RM ever commented on this series? I know Sodie wanted to play them but cannot remember if Rickma has wished for the same.

Rick has said he wants to play Mizzou every year but the calls are never returned

just hearing the word "mi$$ouri" gets under my skin and obviously the same for others as well.

stlhi please dont start crap about them again here. if you want to talk to the majority of cyber community members that care, it surely isnt here. take it to tigerboard please.

Roy, that really hurts coming from a $LU fan who lives in Illinoi$. You must be so proud to be a resident of Illinoi$. I frankly am glad I'm from the great state of Missouri. Our political leaders often are inept, but are rarely simple crooks, like your elected leaders in Illinoi$ so often prove to be.

I also don't think you have the moral high ground being a $LU grad that you believe you have. What with $LU'$ $chool of public health recently paying $1,000,000 to settle a whitleblower lawsuit that accused $LU of defrauding the government,

(http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/midwest/2008/07/10/91791.htm) and what with the great Reverand Lawrence Biondi making $LU take the position in a Missouri court that it is not a catholic institution simply to obtain favorable tax treatment (http://www.urbanreviewstl.com/?p=2969), well, I'd be a little reluctant to be so arrogant and condescending if I were you. But, being a $LU grad, I realize that you are imbued with a $en$e of moral and intellectual $uperiority that you cannot help, despite all evidence to the contrary.

For the rest of you, best of luck to the $LU Billiken$ the rest of the way. Perhaps the Missouri Tigers will meet the $LU Billiken$ in the NCAA tournament. Have a great $ea$on!

Roy, that really hurts coming from a $LU fan who lives in Illinoi$. You must be so proud to be a resident of Illinoi$. I frankly am glad I'm from the great state of Missouri. Our political leaders often are inept, but are rarely simple crooks, like your elected leaders in Illinoi$ so often prove to be.

For the rest of you, best of luck to the $LU Billiken$ the rest of the way. Perhaps the Missouri Tigers will meet the $LU Billiken$ in the NCAA tournament. Have a great $ea$on!

not sure what any of the political crap you throw out here has to do with the fact that i hate the mi$$ouri basketball program. please excuse me if i dont wish the same good luck back to the tigers. i hope they lose every game the rest of the season.

not sure what any of the political crap you throw out here has to do with the fact that i hate the mi$$ouri basketball program. please excuse me if i dont wish the same good luck back to the tigers. i hope they lose every game the rest of the season.

I don't wish the $LU Billiken$ lose every game this season, but to each his own. Have a merry Christmas.

Why was it a fluke?

Long story, but Chase Daniel (who is a GREAT college QB) fell into MU's lap, Texas and several other state of Texas teams flubbed it up; also I do not think everyone knew how good Maclin and Coffman were...

Long story, but Chase Daniel (who is a GREAT college QB) fell into MU's lap, Texas and several other state of Texas teams flubbed it up; also I do not think everyone knew how good Maclin and Coffman were...

I agree Chase Daniel was a fluke in some respects, but MU had been targeting Texas for years, so it was not like MU was unknown to Texas recruits. Further, Chase Daniel allowed MU to recruit Blaine Gabbert, a five star recruit, and Blaine Dalton, another highly regarded QB. Those were not flukes.

Only time will tell if Mizzou has turned a corner as a program or if the last two years were simply outliers, ala Corby Jones' final two years when Mizzou was pretty good, only to fall back to being terrible. I hope Pinkel has enough in the pipeline to prevent that from happening. Maclin was recruited by Oklahoma and Coffman was also heavily recruited. They might have exceeded expectations, but they were not flukes. I'd say this staff, who I still have some concerns about, his worked its tail off in recruiting.

We are not too far apart but Arkansas was lame duck team (coach moving to another team) did not come to play and I acknowledged that they beat KU but that KU was not a true top notch power, just had an easy go of it like MU. Illinois played in weak Big 10. All three are OK, but not true powers like OK, Tex, USC, Georgia, Fla, and on and off Ala, Penn St, Tennessee, WV, VT, Fla. State, Auburn, etc... Again, the O and D lines are critical, MU got some great skill players, but no NFL beef on the lines.

You can say that about nearly every recruit out there. There are nearly 300 D1 prospects coming out of Texax every year. Texas can't have them all. they were only interested in Daniel after their 5 star recruit decided to go to LSU instead. As menitoned, Maclin was an Oklahoma recruit. I think he was pretty highly touted. Coffman certainly had the blood lines and I believe was offered my some big schools. Were William Moore and Martin Rucker and Sean Weahterspoon, etc all flukes as well?