All right, I'm frustrated

TheBand

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-and we judge them on appearance as well as singing??

-not sure who could beat valerie in this format, but i would like to see her!!!

http://www.blacktie-stlouis.com/premiere_e...mp;partyid=2356

Not to be too mean, cuz you can tell she's got "The Juice®" for the most part, but I'd think we could probably pay her to sing every game for the low price of a bucket of oats and a nice rubdown. I volunteer to administer the rubdown. What the heck, I'll even shove her face into the bucket.

Posted Image

Valerie on the rye. Lil sis on the leff.

Not to be too mean, cuz you can tell she's got "The Juice®" for the most part, but I'd think we could probably pay her to sing every game for the low price of a bucket of oats and a nice rubdown. I volunteer to administer the rubdown. What the heck, I'll even shove her face into the bucket.

Posted Image

Valerie on the rye. Lil sis on the leff.

The main question from that picture is whether the guy in the middle is going to out his secret Billikens.com identity. :rolleyes:

The main question from that picture is whether the guy in the middle is going to out his secret Billikens.com identity. :lol:

hillarious. :rolleyes:

It's a very difficult song to sing. It has an extended range and can get quite high for most voice ranges. "America, the Beautiful" would be a better National Anthem, anyway, but "The Star-Spangled Banner" will continue to memorialize war.

Come on Thicks you are better than this.

I have several responses.

a. the band CD has been recorded but needs a final mixdown. we have a time to do that in janruary.

b. I agree, the national anthem is hard to sing.... but we ALL know there are people out there that do it well. GET THEM TO SLU GAMES. We shouldn't have to hear people that would be rejected by Simon, Randy and Paula.

c. I don't think we need the anthem to "get us up" but it certainly is nice to not cringe before games.

d. and now seeing the above post... that is jus awful that we're selling out an aspect of the program just to sell tickets. Would the Cards, Rams and Blues do this?? Sad.

I am not sure about the Blues and the Rams, but the Cardinals in the past have had very similar deals.

Yeah, God forbid that we honor those who have defended this country and made all of our freedoms possible.

You know something, the national anthem celebrates one of the key battles of our country's continued fight against the British in the War of 1812, a fight that was undertaken by the common man. The song does not celebrate the musical heritage or musical abilities of our citizenry.

I am inspired by anyone (other than Rosanne Barr) who has the guts to get up in front of 5,000 to 10,000 people to sing our national anthem. I could not do it!!!! I think having this song sung by the average amateur musician is a tribute to what the national anthem stands for.

Come on Thicks you are better than this.

"Better"? Because I have a minority opinion, I'm less than someone else? Is this still America? I dislike war and "The Star-Spangled Banner," and that makes me less than American and someone who doesn't appreciate the people who serve this country?! Some people need to get over themselves.

"Better"? Because I have a minority opinion, I'm less than someone else? Is this still America? I dislike war and "The Star-Spangled Banner," and that makes me less than American and someone who doesn't appreciate the people who serve this country?! Some people need to get over themselves.

No, but saying you have a problem with the song because it memorializes war is pretty short sighted. It memorializes people who served for the country. It doesn't necessarily memorialize wars you disagree with. The logic you are using means we should get rid of Memorial Day.

No one in his or her right mind likes war. Everyone of does have an idea of things worth fighting for. I believe you would fight for your freedom despite your hatred of war.

The symbolism of the flag is much more about the people of our country than it is about a tattered pennant hanging over a fort during a war in a song. Your lack of acknowledgement of that symbolism shows evidence of the closed mindedness you are railing against.

No, but saying you have a problem with the song because it memorializes war is pretty short sighted. It memorializes people who served for the country. It doesn't necessarily memorialize wars you disagree with. The logic you are using means we should get rid of Memorial Day.

No one in his or her right mind likes war. Everyone of does have an idea of things worth fighting for. I believe you would fight for your freedom despite your hatred of war.

The symbolism of the flag is much more about the people of our country than it is about a tattered pennant hanging over a fort during a war in a song. Your lack of acknowledgement of that symbolism shows evidence of the closed mindedness you are railing against.

I disagree. Let's agree to disagree.

Saturday's day game vs Samford will have a singer of the National Anthem who makes a living singing-has had significant roles at the Meropolitan Opera and Carnegie Hall. Was one of 4 soloists for the Washington Naional Chapel Christmas program a year ago and could be best described as a high tenor-can reliably sing "A" above high "C" I doubt that he has ever sung the National Anthem at a sporting contest but he was going to be in town and they had a spot open. In the old Keil we used to have a Baritone (EG) that grew up in St. Louis, but worked in NY city doing musical theatre, hopefully this performance will be as good as Ed Golterman used to be. If Ed still sings they should invite him back as well.

The Anthem is a formality. I don't need it to inspire me to get pumped up to celebrate a good play. Besides, the player introductions are between the Anthem and the tip.

Excuse me, thinks? The Anthem is a "formality"? I guess I have spent the last 13 months defending your sorry ass right to say such ignorant and arrogant statements such as that which fall under the mantra of "freedom of speech."

The National Anthem gives myself and any other vetern of Iraq, or any other war for that matter, or any American for Christ's sake, chills everytime. No matter how many times I've heard it before.

It's a shame some such as you have such disrespect the Anthem, and in turn, those who have sacraficed to keep it the greatest country in the world.

Excuse me, thinks? The Anthem is a "formality"? I guess I have spent the last 13 months defending your sorry ass right to say such ignorant and arrogant statements such as that which fall under the mantra of "freedom of speech."

The National Anthem gives myself and any other vetern of Iraq, or any other war for that matter, or any American for Christ's sake, chills everytime. No matter how many times I've heard it before.

It's a shame some such as you have such disrespect the Anthem, and in turn, those who have sacraficed to keep it the greatest country in the world.

You're not excused.

You like the song that serves as our national anthem. Great. I don't. It's my choice. I would prefer another song for our Anthem. Why can't you respect that? And I have NEVER disrespected "The Star-Spangled Banner"! I stand up and face the flag when it's played. I just don't think it needs to be played prior to the start of sporting events. I think it should be used at official events, not entertainment. When you go to a play or movie or concert, do they play the anthem then? When I was in high school and played in the band, I helped perform the Anthem. But if I had had a voice in choosing which song to designate as the National Anthem, I wouldn't have voted for "The Star-Spangled Banner." If, all of those years ago, the powers-that-be had chosen "America, the Beautiful" as the Anthem, would you get any fewer chills? No, because the song represents more to you than the poem. But, for me, having given it thought, I choose not to blindly love "The Star-Spangled Banner," though I do love my country (not that it's perfect). I'm not going to be conditioned to like the song.

Now, what part of "agree to disagree" are you not able to comply with?

You're not excused.

You like the song that serves as our national anthem. Great. I don't. It's my choice. I would prefer another song for our Anthem. Why can't you respect that? And I have NEVER disrespected "The Star-Spangled Banner"! I stand up and face the flag when it's played. I just don't think it needs to be played prior to the start of sporting events. I think it should be used at official events, not entertainment. When you go to a play or movie or concert, do they play the anthem then? When I was in high school and played in the band, I helped perform the Anthem. But if I had had a voice in choosing which song to designate as the National Anthem, I wouldn't have voted for "The Star-Spangled Banner." If, all of those years ago, the powers-that-be had chosen "America, the Beautiful" as the Anthem, would you get any fewer chills? No, because the song represents more to you than the poem. But, for me, having given it thought, I choose not to blindly love "The Star-Spangled Banner," though I do love my country (not that it's perfect). I'm not going to be conditioned to like the song.

Now, what part of "agree to disagree" are you not able to comply with?

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, no matter how ill-informed, disrespectful and ignorant it is.

Go SLU.

Saturday's day game vs Samford will have a singer of the National Anthem who makes a living singing-has had significant roles at the Meropolitan Opera and Carnegie Hall. Was one of 4 soloists for the Washington Naional Chapel Christmas program a year ago and could be best described as a high tenor-can reliably sing "A" above high "C" I doubt that he has ever sung the National Anthem at a sporting contest but he was going to be in town and they had a spot open. In the old Keil we used to have a Baritone (EG) that grew up in St. Louis, but worked in NY city doing musical theatre, hopefully this performance will be as good as Ed Golterman used to be. If Ed still sings they should invite him back as well.

I'm excited about this, having a pro sing the anthem is what we should all expect from SLU... not ameteur nite.

That is your opinion, and you are entitled to it, no matter how ill-informed, disrespectful and ignorant it is.

Go SLU.

I don't get it. He's not saying he hates his country. He's saying the Star Spangled Banner wouldn't be his first choice for Nat'l Anthem. I've seen Thicks at games, he stands, he show's respect for his flag and for his country. You're wrong on this, I've served, and one of the thngs we all serve for is the right to have our own opinion and the freedom to express it. There are many, many things I don't lke about how corupt and badly our government is run, but I'll always love America, not for has it's run at any given moment, but for what it stands for .... and one of those things is Thicks right to not like the choice of the song we use for our Nat'l Anthem. Again he doesn't disrespect it at all ...just doesn't like the choice or feel it necessarilly needs to be played before sporting events ... I disagree, but I respect his right even when it is opposite of mine. That's why I served, so he or I can have our own opinions.

that's quite a build up. i am looking forward to it!