Revisiting RickMa as Program Changer

satrap

-Billikan or anyone, do you have a way to confirm the following or tell us what the practice rules according to the ncaa are???

-if school is out of session during the season i don't believe there is practice rule, so they could in theory go 12 hours per day for 14 days over christmas break

-if school is in session during the season the team can have 22 hours of practice per week which includes lifting, film and court time and one day of nothing, so the 22 hours is spread between 6 possible days

-this is what i believe they are, but am not certain

I also believe the term "practice" is specifically defined. However, I am not sure what the NCAA defines as practice. If a player wants to work on something like shooting free throws after the "coach-led" practice then I believe he can do that. In fact, RM may strongly encourage that but not mandate it. Also, time with the trainers, strength training, game films, etc. - it can all add up pretty quickly.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not want to prolong this argument because it is not productive but what you said was "they practice 4-6 hours nearly every day (including Thanksgiving)" That suggests to me an occasional day off each month or so. I just want to make sure that no one is suggesting that we are breaking any rules.

Are you going to apologize for accusing redbird of posting a "total lie"?

Your overreactions are tired. I get the sense you are in the older segment of our posters here, yet you react like a twelve year old many times.

I'm not going to get in the middle of the bickering here- just have one thing to say: in college basketball, a coach probably deserves 3 years to be properly evaluated on how well he's doing his job. We're not even through 1 1/2 with Majerus.

Things are not perfect; we are not a top 25 team. These things take time and I love the freshman class- his first true full recruiting class. It will be more effective to evaluate him once he's had a few classes and we start to see the results on the floor. I think there's a number of positive signs that we're going in the right direction.

A loss at Detroit sucks and probably shouldn't have happened but by no means is it a sign that Majerus is a bust.

I do not want to prolong this argument because it is not productive but what you said was "they practice 4-6 hours nearly every day (including Thanksgiving)" That suggests to me an occasional day off each month or so. I just want to make sure that no one is suggesting that we are breaking any rules.

And on Thursday they would have had their regular practice, had it been a normal NON-holiday. They just adjusted the times so practice wouldnt interfere with dinner tmes had they kept their "Normal" practice schedule that is set for them on Thursdays.

No..I explained that they have a M/W/F and a T/TH set schedule. I said in addition they have weekend practices.( meaning: hours vary by day and time) No where did I say they practiced 7 days a week. With all the games and travel, I am sure they roll with the flow and just do what is asked of them and try to be the best team they can possibly be. Go Billikens!

Your overreactions are tired. I get the sense you are in the older segment of our posters here, yet you react like a twelve year old many times.

This is the type of petty bickering that drives people from the board.

You could just as easily warn redbird to be more careful about how he posts. Posts that even hint at a rule infraction should be worded very carefully or you will bring an investigation into the program. The implications of such an investigation are so costly that I think Billikan's reading of redbird's post is completely reasonable and his reaction the more prudent. All he was trying to do was to send a message to posters that they need to be careful about how they word posts when it comes to rule sensitive issues.

I see his reaction not only as perfectly reasonable but prudent under the circumstances. He owes no on an apology - if anything we owe him a 'thank you' for pointing that out. People who write and say they have 'inside' information need to be very careful about how they word that 'inside' information. We saw hints of this problem before when someone claimed that RM said that donors could come to the closed scrimmage against Memphis. That would have been a rules violation and it took another poster to clarify/correct the first post. All Billikan was doing here was trying to (1) make sure people who post realize they need to be sensitive about posting when talking about rule sensitive issues; and (2) getting a clarification to this specific post so it did not leave the impression that RM was violating any rules.

I say 'good job' to Billkan.

I never said RM was a "detriment to this team".

I just stated what I have seen and what I have learned from certain individuals.

I was never involved with Bobby Knight so I could not fairly make a comparison.

As to where I see the rogram in 3 years.

We will see .500 ball this year and next which will be RM's last year. Some of this years freshmen won't be back (no surprise there) and if the new coach is from within, it may a long time before we return to the glory days.

Wow!

It seems to me that you have an ax to grind with Coach Majerus. I'm neutral on Coach Majerus so far, but a lot of what you've said here is conjecture. So, I'll respond in the same manner. Which current freshman do you project to leave? Some means at least one. Daniel Lisch will leave, so "no surprise there." Anyone else? Why would Majerus leave before the end of his contract, barring health concerns -- which could happen to anyone? Perhaps you just want him to leave because of your disdain for his leadership style. But not everyone is so squeamish about it. But even if he does leave, Porter Moser has been in the system -- recruiting the players -- and has also been a head coach. Even if he's not a "sexy" name, he'll have all of the pieces in place to put the program on the map. If anything, we're worried that someone will lure him away.

This is the type of petty bickering that drives people from the board.

You could just as easily warn redbird to be more careful about how he posts. Posts that even hint at a rule infraction should be worded very carefully or you will bring an investigation into the program. The implications of such an investigation are so costly that I think Billikan's reading of redbird's post is completely reasonable and his reaction the more prudent. All he was trying to do was to send a message to posters that they need to be careful about how they word posts when it comes to rule sensitive issues.

I see his reaction not only as perfectly reasonable but prudent under the circumstances. He owes no on an apology - if anything we owe him a 'thank you' for pointing that out. People who write and say they have 'inside' information need to be very careful about how they word that 'inside' information. We saw hints of this problem before when someone claimed that RM said that donors could come to the closed scrimmage against Memphis. That would have been a rules violation and it took another poster to clarify/correct the first post. All Billikan was doing here was trying to (1) make sure people who post realize they need to be sensitive about posting when talking about rule sensitive issues; and (2) getting a clarification to this specific post so it did not leave the impression that RM was violating any rules.

I say 'good job' to Billkan.

Yes, his response about someone posting a "total lie" was quite reasonable even if incorrect. [insert sarcastic emoticon here]. Thanks.

I will continue to call out Billikan's childish overreactions for the juvenile nature they often take. Don't think there is any truth to the fact that they he is childish? Just ask his wife who has to calm Billikan down because of Billikan's response to a friggin' message board.

If our team isn't breaking any rules, then we don't have anything to worry about, regardless of what a couple of posts on a message board might say.

Edit: Here is what redbird said: "The boys practice 4-6 hours nearly everyday ( including Thanksgiving!) in addition they have weight training. How much more do you think they need?"

Here is Billikan's response: "This is a totally false statement. The worst thing about the internet is that this type of post looks like it has credibility when it is a total lie!"

Instead of acting like a 2 year old, Billikan could have simply stated that the boys are only allowed to practice x amount of time. And he could have followed up with a question asking redbird to clarify the statement. Nope. He simply throws his standard hissy fit.

Yes, his response about someone posting a "total lie" was quite reasonable even if incorrect. [insert sarcastic emoticon here]. Thanks.

I will continue to call out Billikan's childish overreactions for the juvenile nature they often take. Don't think there is any truth to the fact that they he is childish? Just ask his wife who has to calm Billikan down because of Billikan's response to a friggin' message board.

If our team isn't breaking any rules, then we don't have anything to worry about, regardless of what a couple of posts on a message board might say.

Edit: Here is what redbird said: "The boys practice 4-6 hours nearly everyday ( including Thanksgiving!) in addition they have weight training. How much more do you think they need?"

Here is Billikan's response: "This is a totally false statement. The worst thing about the internet is that this type of post looks like it has credibility when it is a total lie!"

Instead of acting like a 2 year old, Billikan could have simply stated that the boys are only allowed to practice x amount of time. And he could have followed up with a question asking redbird to clarify the statement. Nope. He simply throws his standard hissy fit.

And you are not being childish by making accusations about his wife?

You lost any credibility you might have thought you had with that response.

I don't know anyone of this site. I'm not trying to take sides. I live in LA and enjoyed reading about the Billikens because no one in LA is ever going to write about them. I thought it might even be fun to join the discussion. But this type of petty name calling and bickering gets old quickly.

I'm joining those posters who have already quit this blog because of this type of pettiness. Why can't a board just stick to Billiken Basketball instead of this type of behavior.

It was fun while it lasted.

Adios.

I don't know anyone of this site. I'm not trying to take sides. I live in LA and enjoyed reading about the Billikens because no one in LA is ever going to write about them. I thought it might even be fun to join the discussion. But this type of petty name calling and bickering gets old quickly.

I'm joining those posters who have already quit this blog because of this type of pettiness. Why can't a board just stick to Billiken Basketball instead of this type of behavior.

Adios.

LOL. Billikan himself has stated on here multiple times about how his wife has to settle him down. In fact, I figured it to be common knowledge and didn't feel the need to add that disclaimer.

If someone is going to accuse our coach of violating NCAA rules on an internet board, when it is not true, then I am going to react. Sorry if you do not like it.

If someone is going to accuse our coach of violating NCAA rules on an internet board, when it is not true, then I am going to react. Sorry if you do not like it.

WTF are you talking about?

Who accused our coach of violating rules?

No need to apologize to me. But I do not like you making up things and then acting as if it is the truth.

Adios.

Give me a break, dude. This is a message board, not a blog. Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion, which judging by just about every one of your posts so far, you cannot respect. I do question your "it was fun while it lasted". While what lasted? The board has been the same for yeears. Some good weeks, some bad weeks. All you've done since you've been here is take a holier than thou approach to just about every post you have responded to.

As to Billikan...I respect his status in the program and his knowledge of billiken basketball. If he feels the need to correct a poster for what he felt was information that could cause the program to be in serious NCAA violations.....well, I'm ok with that. In the end it was just a misunderstanding on both sides.

Wow!

It seems to me that you have an ax to grind with Coach Majerus. I'm neutral on Coach Majerus so far, but a lot of what you've said here is conjecture. So, I'll respond in the same manner. Which current freshman do you project to leave? Some means at least one. Daniel Lisch will leave, so "no surprise there." Anyone else? Why would Majerus leave before the end of his contract, barring health concerns -- which could happen to anyone? Perhaps you just want him to leave because of your disdain for his leadership style. But not everyone is so squeamish about it. But even if he does leave, Porter Moser has been in the system -- recruiting the players -- and has also been a head coach. Even if he's not a "sexy" name, he'll have all of the pieces in place to put the program on the map. If anything, we're worried that someone will lure him away.

Don't worry. Am still waiting for Slumn1 to admit he was wrong when he said that there was no way RM would ever be our coach. His latest email about an early RM departure is just more of the same.

WTF are you talking about?

Who accused our coach of violating rules?

No need to apologize to me. But I do not like you making up things and then acting as if it is the truth.

Moy don't worry about him. He is the same guy that made claims that there were irresponsible post in the GDT. Then never backed it up when called out about it.