He's Back!

Pistol

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...FF?OpenDocument

Sometimes I'm glad I don't live in St. Louis- not often, but this is one thing I won't miss.

It's not like anyone is forced to listen to the guy. He's kind of like Rush Limbaugh. There probably are as many listeners who hate him as there are who like him. The best way to get to a guy like Slaten is to deny him the attentive he craves.

From the article it sounds like it is a revenue sharing deal which means that Slaten only gets paid for what revenue he brings in. I am sure there is a floor on the contract that protects the cost of the program for the station - meaning they get their money first and then he gets his if there is any. The only good thing about this is that 1380 is not a prime station and its signal is tough to pick up. Basically, in the winter, most can not get a clear signal until after sun up or something stupid like that. I have no intention of listening to the idiot. The guy has real anger management problems and this is simply another example of how if someone thinks they can make a buck on something they have no problems with prostituting themselves to do it.

From the article it sounds like it is a revenue sharing deal which means that Slaten only gets paid for what revenue he brings in. I am sure there is a floor on the contract that protects the cost of the program for the station - meaning they get their money first and then he gets his if there is any. The only good thing about this is that 1380 is not a prime station and its signal is tough to pick up. Basically, in the winter, most can not get a clear signal until after sun up or something stupid like that. I have no intention of listening to the idiot. The guy has real anger management problems and this is simply another example of how if someone thinks they can make a buck on something they have no problems with prostituting themselves to do it.

Whether you like the guy or not you have to agree that he is a hell of a pitchman. There was not a kid in St. Louis who didn't want to drink High 5 because it contained Zink. The guy can sell. He was far and away 590's top revenue producer.

Whether you like the guy or not you have to agree that he is a hell of a pitchman. There was not a kid in St. Louis who didn't want to drink High 5 because it contained Zink. The guy can sell. He was far and away 590's top revenue producer.

I grew up in St. Louis and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I agree with cheese on this one; Slaten's never sold me on anything except the fact that he does have severe anger management issues, emotional instability, poor decision making skills, and a big mouth.

I can't deny the fact that he drives strong ratings for these stations. I just wish someone in charge at 1380 had the guts to acknowledge that there are more important things than money. I wouldn't want to tie my reputation or my station's reputation to Slaten's name in any way, even if it meant more ad revenue.

I grew up in St. Louis and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I agree with cheese on this one; Slaten's never sold me on anything except the fact that he does have severe anger management issues, emotional instability, poor decision making skills, and a big mouth.

I can't deny the fact that he drives strong ratings for these stations. I just wish someone in charge at 1380 had the guts to acknowledge that there are more important things than money. I wouldn't want to tie my reputation or my station's reputation to Slaten's name in any way, even if it meant more ad revenue.

pistol for every one of you that is adament that slaten = devil, there are two of me and willie that probably dont agree with him but get a kick out of listening to his act. and there are probably at least another one or two that are so dumb they like him and agree with him. half of those like you that hate him still listen to him and provide the entertainment to me and willie because they also call in and try to debate him. he is the closest thing to a guarantee on sports radio in st louis imo. if not, you can guarantee his career would be over.

instead, i would bet that 1380 tried to hire him the second that 590 suspended/fired him. why else did he fight the no compete as hard as he did? obviously he had a paycheck waiting for him.

as to high five, you are definitely showing your youth. in the late 80's early 90's slaten had a sponsor that sold "high five" which was a gatorade knock off. i have a friend that worked at schnucks at the time and he said that when slaten peddled high five the stuff flew off the shelves. no idea what happened to high five. but willie is right, he sells.

read the rft article again. the one doctor is all but telling you that his patients come as much because slaten has him on his show.

i enjoy the message boards that just smoke when a slaten thread is started. everyone posts how much they hate him and give specific examples why, usually the thread grows to double digit pages in less than a day but all swear they dont listen. sure they dont. the fact we all associate, "high five", "carpe diem", "dont talk when i am talking", "the kremlin" etc with slaten almost immediately when we hear the phrase speaks volumes imo of the real truth. the man is effective regardless of if we like him or not.

Pizza World! It's not just cheese on a cracker!

His appeals to hoosier-losers. "Down with THE MAN" mentality. "You are all getting screwed", etc...

If you call in to Slaten and say "Carpe Diem", you = a hoosier.

I completely agree with that. I honestly do not know one person who listens to that show and the times I did flip to Slaten the only people who called in were black gentlemen and hoosiers.

I feel bad for a guy like Slaten. He gets paid to basically be a raging ######. He has such a negative outlook on everything and has to constantly spew venom. The guy can't say anything positive about anything and has to be so extreme on the negative end of everything regarding St. Louis sports. Not only does he have to scream and yell about everything, but the guy does not even know sports. Any intelligent person is not going to listen to Slaten beyond a couple of minutes and certainly would not waste their time calling in. I just wish the King had the sack to take Savard up on his offer to box for charity.

I remember in 5th grade having Mr. Slaten run onto the court at Priory to yell at the officials until my dad and others had to physically remove him from the gym. It does not take much to realize that if you are physically going after grade school referees and screaming profanity in front of 5th graders that you have serious issues that need be taken care of. I remember asking my dad who that guy was and that is the first I had ever heard of Kevin Slaten. What a loser.

And just because people have negative things to say about him does not mean they listen to show. Far from it for me and pistol who do not even live in the area and surely did not listen to him when we did. His act is so stale and really difficult for anyone with any brains to listen to.

pistol for every one of you that is adament that slaten = devil, there are two of me and willie that probably dont agree with him but get a kick out of listening to his act. and there are probably at least another one or two that are so dumb they like him and agree with him. half of those like you that hate him still listen to him and provide the entertainment to me and willie because they also call in and try to debate him. he is the closest thing to a guarantee on sports radio in st louis imo. if not, you can guarantee his career would be over.

instead, i would bet that 1380 tried to hire him the second that 590 suspended/fired him. why else did he fight the no compete as hard as he did? obviously he had a paycheck waiting for him.

as to high five, you are definitely showing your youth. in the late 80's early 90's slaten had a sponsor that sold "high five" which was a gatorade knock off. i have a friend that worked at schnucks at the time and he said that when slaten peddled high five the stuff flew off the shelves. no idea what happened to high five. but willie is right, he sells.

read the rft article again. the one doctor is all but telling you that his patients come as much because slaten has him on his show.

i enjoy the message boards that just smoke when a slaten thread is started. everyone posts how much they hate him and give specific examples why, usually the thread grows to double digit pages in less than a day but all swear they dont listen. sure they dont. the fact we all associate, "high five", "carpe diem", "dont talk when i am talking", "the kremlin" etc with slaten almost immediately when we hear the phrase speaks volumes imo of the real truth. the man is effective regardless of if we like him or not.

Actually Roy, I he may have only sued for the non compete clause issue in the hopes of getting an out of court settlement or the chance that they might drop it so he could say he won something over them.