Olympics OT

I hate Lebron and Carmelo. I guess I have to apologize for liking fundamental basketball, sorry. I would like to say I love watching Kobe and Deron Williams, thats the type of basketball I like to watch. Again, im sorry Mr. Internet Toughguy

cmon man, melo takes some bad shots but his FIBA game is much different than how he plays in the NBA. Its smarter and much more disciplined. lso did it ever occur to you that these guys are the stars of their NBA teams and during the NBA seasons there counted on to score day ina and day out. Therefore they doont have as much energy to play defense (they stil play d jus not to the level that hey do in the olympics). In the olympics they play aa lot leee minutes and take a lot less shots. Theefore they have a lot more energy to D-up.

As far as Lebron, he just acts like an excited kid out there. Its not like hes bein mean to his teamamtes and ball-hogging. Hes just having fun. Also about hm jus being in it for the money, isnt that what mopst professionals are in it for. This is their job

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Lebron and Carmelo. I guess I have to apologize for liking fundamental basketball, sorry. I would like to say I love watching Kobe and Deron Williams, thats the type of basketball I like to watch. Again, im sorry Mr. Internet Toughguy

I just love people like you who need to find fault in everything. It's not enough that our basketball team is beating their opponents by an average of 33 points a game. You don't like their "style" so you hope that they get their asses handed to them. So would you rather they play "fundemental" and win by 2 or "streetball" and win by 30?

Ok, so you hate Lebron and Carmelo and their half court offense. So that is why you want them to lose and get their asses handed to them. is that about right?

cmon man, melo takes some bad shots but his FIBA game is much different than how he plays in the NBA. Its smarter and much more disciplined. lso did it ever occur to you that these guys are the stars of their NBA teams and during the NBA seasons there counted on to score day ina and day out. Therefore they doont have as much energy to play defense (they stil play d jus not to the level that hey do in the olympics). In the olympics they play aa lot leee minutes and take a lot less shots. Theefore they have a lot more energy to D-up.

As far as Lebron, he just acts like an excited kid out there. Its not like hes bein mean to his teamamtes and ball-hogging. Hes just having fun. Also about hm jus being in it for the money, isnt that what mopst professionals are in it for. This is their job

Melo is a typical me first player which I could really do without him represting my country. Lebron, I understand everyone wants to get paid I get it but he has been in the league for a few years and he is talking about how great it would be being in NY or if he got 50 mil to play overseas, just play the game Bron. You shot 30.2% from three last year, maybe you should work on that instead of dreaming of dollar bills. He takes terrible shots that will hurt the US team if the game is close

Agreed, carmelo is the opposite of what the Olympics are supposed to represent (he's not alone there though).

And Box, cracking under pressure or not, Sacramone could be on as many Olympic teams as she wants as far as i'm concerned.

Also agree re: the Jamaicans. Bolt's been running the 100M for less than a year and absolutely crushes the competition like that? Umm, sure, he's clean.

I followed the men's soccer team. A great game against the Dutch spoiled late and then a silly red card early against Nigeria and they were sent packing. A lot of hope there though. I really enjoyed watching some of the younger players.

As a general comment, I hope more cracks in the Chinese hosting of the games reveal themselves. It's at once both fascinating and irritating to watch the Chinese government in action.

The red card was ridiculous. It wasn't even really an elbow, more like just trying to sling the guy off his back. I can't remember a red card being issued for less in a major tourney ever. Either way I left feeling pretty good about our young players.

I feel less good about the ladies, even though I don't know what happened this morning. I thought Pia would get them to play a better brand of soccer and they still don't, If you read many of my soccer posts, you'll know I absolutely hate kick and chase soccer. I know Pia's trying to change the way we play, but I have to wonder why she doesn't put the players in a position to excell at a more fluid game. I watched the Brazil - Germany game early this morning and Brazil looked incredible. Marta is by FAR the best female player in the world, she seemingly always makes the right play without thinking.

But NH, they are supposed to give 110% every second of every play just like SAE does at his job. I'm sure he never messes around on the internet while at work. He probably goes to his boss and asks for a pay cut when his performance is lacking. He doesn't work for the money, it's for the love of his job.

I just love people like you who need to find fault in everything. It's not enough that our basketball team is beating their opponents by an average of 33 points a game. You don't like their "style" so you hope that they get their asses handed to them. So would you rather they play "fundemental" and win by 2 or "streetball" and win by 30?

Ok, so you hate Lebron and Carmelo and their half court offense. So that is why you want them to lose and get their asses handed to them. is that about right?

Like I said, its more just a hatred of Lebron. I want them to win the gold, just not with him or Melo on the team

But NH, they are supposed to give 110% every second of every play just like SAE does at his job. I'm sure he never messes around on the internet while at work. He probably goes to his boss and asks for a pay cut when his performance is lacking. He doesn't work for the money, it's for the love of his job.

Apples to apples. If I made 20 million, I would find it hard to slack off at work

Apples to apples. If I made 20 million, I would find it hard to slack off at work

I'm sure youre employer feels differently. I'm sure they feel that they pay you a fair wage(and I assume you think it's fair as well) and don't expect you to slack off while you work. You should hold yourself to the same standard that you hold others or risk being labeled a hypocrite.

Like I said, its more just a hatred of Lebron. I want them to win the gold, just not with him or Melo on the team

I don't think Lebron is even close to be being in the same boat as Melo. I find Lebron to be fairly mature given all of this "king james" talk since he was probably 12. I haven't heard about his dui's or snitch tapes, nor have I see him act like a baby nearly as much as Melo on the court. Lebron plays for Cleveland, of course he's going to put up bad shots, he's the only option they have. Plus, in your mid-20's and at the top of your game, where would you rather play ball, Cleveland or NYC?

I actually find Lebron to be a breath of fresh air compared to many of his peers.

I'm sure youre employer feels differently. I'm sure they feel that they pay you a fair wage(and I assume you think it's fair as well) and don't expect you to slack off while you work. You should hold yourself to the same standard that you hold others or risk being labeled a hypocrite.

You are right. Thanks, god.

I don't think Lebron is even close to be being in the same boat as Melo. I find Lebron to be fairly mature given all of this "king james" talk since he was probably 12. I haven't heard about his dui's or snitch tapes, nor have I see him act like a baby nearly as much as Melo on the court. Lebron plays for Cleveland, of course he's going to put up bad shots, he's the only option they have. Plus, in your mid-20's and at the top of your game, where would you rather play ball, Cleveland or NYC?

I actually find Lebron to be a breath of fresh air compared to many of his peers.

I agree with you on Melo, his record speaks for itself. As for Lebron, why does he have to talk about NYC? Cant he just say I play for Cleveland and my goal is to win the title? That is what I would want my teammate to say. It just seems as though the hype has gotten to his head a little too much and it rubs me the wrong way

I'm with you.

Your options aren't accurate. Fundamentally sound teams, such as the 1992 Dream Team, win by more than two points per game. Streetball teams, which play in the And-1 Mixtape Tour and the bottom tier of local hoops showcases, are wildly unpredictable in terms of margin of victory. This team is not a good example of either of the choices you present. They play an open court transition game better than anyone else and force a lot of turnovers on the defensive end to create even more opportunities to generate fast breaks.

Team USA's style has obviously worked so far, but the next team on the schedule is Australia, which did a great job of slowing them down in the prelims and only lost by 11. Teams like this one, that don't play fundamentally sound in a half-court game and don't shoot well, leave themselves vulnerable to upsets by teams that just figure them out. It has happened in recent Olympics and World Championships and there's no reason someone can't upset them this time around. I think they're forcing their upon the opposition to the point where their talent should be enough for gold.

I also wish they knew how to shoot and play a half court game because their fast break ability has been mesmerizing. The most fun teams to watch are the ones that are talented and add style to a fundamentally sound game.

Your options aren't accurate. Fundamentally sound teams, such as the 1992 Dream Team, win by more than two points per game. Streetball teams, which play in the And-1 Mixtape Tour and the bottom tier of local hoops showcases, are wildly unpredictable in terms of margin of victory. This team is not a good example of either of the choices you present. They play an open court transition game better than anyone else and force a lot of turnovers on the defensive end to create even more opportunities to generate fast breaks.

Team USA's style has obviously worked so far, but the next team on the schedule is Australia, which did a great job of slowing them down in the prelims and only lost by 11. Teams like this one, that don't play fundamentally sound in a half-court game and don't shoot well, leave themselves vulnerable to upsets by teams that just figure them out. It has happened in recent Olympics and World Championships and there's no reason someone can't upset them this time around. I think they're forcing their upon the opposition to the point where their talent should be enough for gold.

I also wish they knew how to shoot and play a half court game because their fast break ability has been mesmerizing. The most fun teams to watch are the ones that are talented and add style to a fundamentally sound game.

These were SAE's choices for style of play not mine.

As far as Team USA goes, they're shooting 51% as a team and holding their opponents to 35%. They have a 1.5 assist to turnover ratio. They lead in points per game and fewest points allowed. They have the best field goal percentage and the best field goal percentage defense as well as teh best 3pt field goal defense. They are second in rebounding and first in blocked shots, steals, assists, turnover margin and defensive rebounding.

So nit pick and hate all you want while they romp their way to the gold medal. After they win that you'll still find something to complain about.

I guess its not really the team its more Lebron then anything. He thinks he is owed everything and he hasnt won a title yet, I think his head is bigger then Barry Bonds. Lebron is all about money.

Another thing that really gets me is the way they play defense. In this tournament they have played incredible defense which is great but where the hell is that in the 82 game regular season. Their halfcourt offense(except vs Spain) was brutal to watch. They generate steals from thier defense and just out run and jump the opposition which is fine and is obviously working but if a team can slow down the game they will be in trouble. I would like to see more fundamental basketball. The traveling Lebron and Howard do is mindboggling.

As far as the defense during the 82 game season. These guy are all big-time players so they are going to play around 40 minutes a game, sometimes 48, they can't expend that kind of energy on defense for an entire game, and still be a productive scorer on the offensive end. They have to carry the load offensively, so they have to pace themselves at both ends of the court. In the 40 minute games of the Olympics, they have another superstar subbing for them and they are playing between 15-20 minutes a game, so they can go all out and then get a blow. They dont have that luxury during the regular season.

Dooz like you gotta stop snitchin'.

I'd agree that Carmelo Anthony should not have been on this roster because of his me-first play, suspensions, and a few off-court issues. I'd also argue that Jason Kidd has his gold medal and is past his prime, and that the new wave of NBA point guards, Chris Paul and Deron Williams, are already on the roster and therefore make his inclusion unnecessary. In place of Kidd and Anthony, I would have liked to see either two more pure shooters to go along with Redd or one more shooter and a center (too bad Stoudemire pulled his name out late). Ray Allen would have been my first choice but my understanding was those guys either didn't want to do it or were given a rest. Even Chauncey Billups or Kyle Korver, both of whom were near the top of the league in 3P%, would have been helpful in keeping opposing defenses honest.

Even though we're blowing everybody out right now, we've seen in years past that poor shooting can come back to haunt Team USA, and that a team of the best slashers in the NBA isn't necessarily the best team possible.

Carmelo Anthony was the team's top player during the summers of 2006 and 2007. You may not like his off the court stuff but his play in the Olympics has been dynamic and he's a big reason that they even qualified last summer to play in these 2008 Olympics. He has struggled offensively this year, but he has been the primary low post defender, and has shut down Yi, Gasol, Dirk, and the guy from Greece who went Nuts in 2006 during the upset Schorantzis sp?).

Carmelo Anthony was the team's top player during the summers of 2006 and 2007. You may not like his off the court stuff but his play in the Olympics has been dynamic and he's a big reason that they even qualified last summer to play in these 2008 Olympics. He has struggled offensively this year, but he has been the primary low post defender, and has shut down Yi, Gasol, Dirk, and the guy from Greece who went Nuts in 2006 during the upset Schorantzis sp?).

are you saying that the usa basketball team wouldnt have qualified to play in the olympics if carmelo hadnt been on the usa team in 2007?

are you saying that the usa basketball team wouldnt have qualified to play in the olympics if carmelo hadnt been on the usa team in 2007?

He was certainly a huge part of it and he was their top player both the summers of 2006 and 2007. He was the go-to-guy, prior to this summer. If you watched the last 2 summers and couldnt see that, there's nothing more for me to say and there's no convincing you so I wont bother. He was their #1 back to the basket option and often times their top perimeter shooter, something he's struggled with this summer. He was the Team USA Male Athlete of the Year in 2006, and should've gotten it last year as well, but they gave it to Jason Kidd, citing his leadership. This year, his post defense from the pf position has been superb.

Team USA would have qualified without Melo. Melo hasn't shut down Yi, Gasol, Dirk and Greece dude. Team USA is playing amazing team D. I have watched Melo specifically on D and he has shown his traditional lazy defensive attitude.

No surprise vtime is a Melo defender. Fact is, Melo shouldn't be representing this country.

Call me unpatriotic but I kind of want the mens basketball team to lose. The only players I like watching on that team are Chris Paul and Deron Williams. I think Lebron is the cockiest SOB in sports. THe team in general is was too arrogant and cocky. In fact I hope they get their asses handed to them.

Consider it done...you are unpatriotic.

I guess its not really the team its more Lebron then anything. He thinks he is owed everything and he hasnt won a title yet, I think his head is bigger then Barry Bonds. Lebron is all about money.

Another thing that really gets me is the way they play defense. In this tournament they have played incredible defense which is great but where the hell is that in the 82 game regular season. Their halfcourt offense(except vs Spain) was brutal to watch. They generate steals from thier defense and just out run and jump the opposition which is fine and is obviously working but if a team can slow down the game they will be in trouble. I would like to see more fundamental basketball. The traveling Lebron and Howard do is mindboggling.

FYI, the dream team does not play as a unit in the NBA. It is an ALL-STAR team assembled for this tourney.

This is like listening to someone who complains about a boxer who keeps winning on first round KOs and saying "I'd like to see him work the jab more".

Team USA would have qualified without Melo. Melo hasn't shut down Yi, Gasol, Dirk and Greece dude. Team USA is playing amazing team D. I have watched Melo specifically on D and he has shown his traditional lazy defensive attitude.

No surprise vtime is a Melo defender. Fact is, Melo shouldn't be representing this country.

The name is STL HOOPS INSIDER. If you cant address me as such, please dont refer to me at all. Secondly, Melo hasnt been lazy on defense, if he was he wouldn't be getting to play on this team that is trying to restore the program to greatness, let alone be the starting power forward. And again, I dont know what Team USA you were watching the last 2 summers when Melo was their best player. He was and if you even watched the games this year the commentators mentioned several times how he was the team's top player the last 2 summers. I guess you just want to argue though.

The name is STL HOOPS INSIDER. If you cant address me as such, please dont refer to me at all. Secondly, Melo hasnt been lazy on defense, if he was he wouldn't be getting to play on this team that is trying to restore the program to greatness, let alone be the starting power forward. And again, I dont know what Team USA you were watching the last 2 summers when Melo was their best player. He was and if you even watched the games this year the commentators mentioned several times how he was the team's top player the last 2 summers. I guess you just want to argue though.

vtime, i didn't dispute Melo's accomplishments the last two summers. Thanks for the strawman though. The educated guess (it's not fact since it didn't happen) is that Team USA would have qualified regardless. Also, the '06 and '07 team wasn't as talented as this team. Melo is a top 5 talent and a top 30 player. However, he is not in the same universe as Kobe, Lebron, Paul and maybe even Howard. It's obvious that on this '08 Olympic team, Melo is 2nd fiddle.

Melo has been lazy on defense. I watched it with my very own eyes.