Volleyball at Chaifetz

Iggy

The first game at the new arena is going to be volleyball against William & Mary, Illinois and Stanford. That should actaully be pretty cool. The first mens basketball game will only be attended by a handful of people since it will probably be that 'closed scrimmage' against Memphis. I'd sure like to find a way to sneak into that one.

the volleyball team is playing their home games in the practice facility not the main arena. Kind of stupid if you ask me, they are better left playing at the west pine gym

Does the practice facility have any kind of seating? I don't recall seeing any. Without seating, it would be difficult to host spectators.

the volleyball team is playing their home games in the practice facility not the main arena. Kind of stupid if you ask me, they are better left playing at the west pine gym

Completely disagree. I think it would be stupid to have the games in the main arena. How much does Volleyball draw at SLU? 300 or so? (i have no idea but it can't be much). That would look pretty bad and be a horrible atmosphere in an 10K seat arena. They may have some noise if they play in the practice facility. If we get the crowd, I'm sure they would move to the main floor.

Completely disagree. I think it would be stupid to have the games in the main arena. How much does Volleyball draw at SLU? 300 or so? (i have no idea but it can't be much). That would look pretty bad and be a horrible atmosphere in an 10K seat arena. They may have some noise if they play in the practice facility. If we get the crowd, I'm sure they would move to the main floor.

I see your point, then the VBALL team would be better suited at West Pine rather than a practice facility, how many Div 1 volleyball teams play in a practice facility used for basketball. Notre Dame doesn't play in their practice facility and they play in there 13,000 seat arena.

I see your point, then the VBALL team would be better suited at West Pine rather than a practice facility, how many Div 1 volleyball teams play in a practice facility used for basketball. Notre Dame doesn't play in their practice facility and they play in there 13,000 seat arena.

Who cares? It's Volleyball. I bet the practice facility is nicer than West Pine. If they need more seating, they will probably move to West pine or Chaifetz.

Who cares? It's Volleyball. I bet the practice facility is nicer than West Pine. If they need more seating, they will probably move to West pine or Chaifetz.

It is nice but it is a practice facility. there are a couple rows of bleachers. So where is the basketball teams going to play pick up or practice when the VBALL team is playing their games or having practice. How can our basketball teams players get better if the gym is being used for volleyball.

It is nice but it is a practice facility. there are a couple rows of bleachers. So where is the basketball teams going to play pick up or practice when the VBALL team is playing their games or having practice. How can our basketball teams players get better if the gym is being used for volleyball.

during the academic year there are time limits for practice and, of course, there are those little things called classes both basketball teams will have to attend. If they were able to work it out for all 3 at West Pine it won't be a problem at the new facility.

I never saw the hoops teams playing pick-up games in West Pine at 7pm on a Friday night, why would that change now?

during the academic year there are time limits for practice and, of course, there are those little things called classes both basketball teams will have to attend. If they were able to work it out for all 3 at West Pine it won't be a problem at the new facility.

I never saw the hoops teams playing pick-up games in West Pine at 7pm on a Friday night, why would that change now?

Because you had Lori Flannagen who wouldn't let anybody use the gym unless they were scheduled. You look at all other colleges, the players have access to the practice facility to work on their shooting etc.. Last time I checked their are no limits of when players can come to the gym on their own time to play pick up or shoot.

At the old West Pine you had the women in the morning to practice(once they were finished they were not allowed back in the gym, then you had the mens program and then you had volleyball. If you were not scheduled you could not use they gym

I have worked at 5 different colleges and SLU is the only school that the players did not have access to their facilities

I have been talking about this for a long time. If you ask me making the Volleyball team play in the practice gym is complet BS. They draw more than Women's basketball and probably the most successful sport after soccer. They have one hell of a coach who is going to be heavily sought after in a few years. If SLU is serious about building a powerhouse volleyball team they will move them to the main floor. I can see the conversation now.

Coach Kordes: Here is our wonderful new arena.

Recruit: Oh my, I can't wait to play here.

Coach: Well we actually play in the practice gym.

Recruit: Thanks Coach but i think im gonna sign with Stanford.

The bottom line is the volleyball team contributes just as much as the basketball team if not more. They deserve to play on the main floor!

I have been talking about this for a long time. If you ask me making the Volleyball team play in the practice gym is complet BS. They draw more than Women's basketball and probably the most successful sport after soccer. They have one hell of a coach who is going to be heavily sought after in a few years. If SLU is serious about building a powerhouse volleyball team they will move them to the main floor. I can see the conversation now.

Coach Kordes: Here is our wonderful new arena.

Recruit: Oh my, I can't wait to play here.

Coach: Well we actually play in the practice gym.

Recruit: Thanks Coach but i think im gonna sign with Stanford.

The bottom line is the volleyball team contributes just as much as the basketball team if not more. They deserve to play on the main floor!

Actually it is pretty typical of team to have this set-up....

Kansas: http://kuathletics.cstv.com/facilities/kan...jsi-center.html

Purdue: http://purduesports.cstv.com/facilities/iaf.html

At least its air-conditioned.....

If they do eventually add volleyball to the main arena I sure hope they can come up with some sort of temporary floor that would sit on top of the basketball court so we don't have all of those volleyball lines on the basketball court. It's going to be confusing enough with the two different three point lines.

Actually it is pretty typical of team to have this set-up....

Kansas: http://kuathletics.cstv.com/facilities/kan...jsi-center.html

Purdue: http://purduesports.cstv.com/facilities/iaf.html

At least its air-conditioned.....

Those are nice and look completely different than our practice facility. They have bleachers on both sides and looks more like a stadium

Those are nice and look completely different than our practice facility. They have bleachers on both sides and looks more like a stadium

The set-up here will have bleachers on both sides for volleyball from what I understand. It does them no good to play in a massive building where they lose any home court advantage.

The set-up here will have bleachers on both sides for volleyball from what I understand. It does them no good to play in a massive building where they lose any home court advantage.

From what I got is that there are currently bleachers in the practice facility and seating was going to only be on one side. If you look in there now, you only see a couple of rows of bleachers. The whole arena thing is messed up besides the volleyball team, the employees can not even park in the parking lot behind the arena.

From what I got is that there are currently bleachers in the practice facility and seating was going to only be on one side. If you look in there now, you only see a couple of rows of bleachers. The whole arena thing is messed up besides the volleyball team, the employees can not even park in the parking lot behind the arena.

I heard they were planning on using temporary bleachers much like other facilities do. That is what I heard , it could be wrong.

I could really care less if the employees get to park behind the building or not. I have to walk a few blocks from a parking lot (for a spot I pay for) to my building everyday. Big deal.

volfan, that parking lot beside the arena is very small. why would you expect anyone besides high level school officials and high roller boosters to be able to park there?

how would you have approached it? first come first served? that isnt even realistic.

volfan, that parking lot beside the arena is very small. why would you expect anyone besides high level school officials and high roller boosters to be able to park there?

how would you have approached it? first come first served? that isnt even realistic.

I am talking about the athletic department staff and coaches. they work in the building and can not even park there. The lot is not that small for the athletic department staff. I am not talking during games, I am talking during the work week, just like they couldn't park behind west pine when they were there. It makes no sense

Besides the high level school officials offices are not in the arena.

I heard they were planning on using temporary bleachers much like other facilities do. That is what I heard , it could be wrong.

I could really care less if the employees get to park behind the building or not. I have to walk a few blocks from a parking lot (for a spot I pay for) to my building everyday. Big deal.

Yeah, but is there a parking lot right next to where you work sitting empty all the time