OT: Suit Etiquette Advice Needed

I call upon the posters of Billikens.com for some sartorial advice...

I am attending a wedding this weekend in lovely Chicago, Illinois - the ceremony begins at 2 p.m., the reception at 5:30.

Is it okay to wear a tan suit? I've always been under the impression that tan is acceptable for daytime functions, but since the reception will go on into the evening, I wasn't sure of the protocol in this case.

I am attending a wedding this weekend in lovely Chicago, Illinois - the ceremony begins at 2 p.m., the reception at 5:30.

Is it okay to wear a tan suit? I've always been under the impression that tan is acceptable for daytime functions, but since the reception will go on into the evening, I wasn't sure of the protocol in this case.

I've read that for formal events a gentleman never wears black before 6:00, and as far as I know there is no rule against tan or brown in the evening during summer months. I think you're good to go.

box, i think you need to consider that unless there is a long drive involved, you will have quality drinking time between the wedding and reception and you need to be comfortable to be doing that, so i am thinking sport coat and trousers - no tie, it is summer

box, i think you need to consider that unless there is a long drive involved, you will have quality drinking time between the wedding and reception and you need to be comfortable to be doing that, so i am thinking sport coat and trousers - no tie, it is summer

Couldn't agree more, Cowboy. After my first wave of friends got married, I gave up the suit/tie combo and opted for the pants/jacket. Life is so much better now.

Box,

FWIW, IMHO no tan suits at weddings.

If you want to go casual, wear grey slacks, a navy blue blazer, a light blue shirt, and a red tie to the wedding. After the wedding, take off the tie and blazer and you are G2GParTay. If you want to be a bit more formal, wear a dark blue suit in place of the grey slacks and blazer. You can never go wrong being the sharpest dressed man in the room.

JJL

Box,

FWIW, IMHO no tan suits at weddings.

If you want to go casual, wear grey slacks, a navy blue blazer, a light blue shirt, and a red tie to the wedding. After the wedding, take off the tie and blazer and you are G2GParTay. If you want to be a bit more formal, wear a dark blue suit in place of the grey slacks and blazer. You can never go wrong being the sharpest dressed man in the room.

JJL

I agree with most of this (especially the last line), but disagree that you can't wear a tan suit and that tan suits are not formal. As long as the suit is well-tailored, clean and crisp, and matched well with a good shirt, tie, and shoes, there's nothing informal about a tan suit. It's just a seasonal thing and a summer wedding is a perfect format for one. I agree that navy blue works and is a safe bet.

I disagree with the last few guys about the tie, though. I think a wedding is a formal enough event to warrant wearing a tie at all times. The average wedding today costs about $25,000 these days, so the least a guest can do is dress for the occasion. The best dressed man in the room at a wedding will not be going casual.

Thanks for the advice, gents.

I usually subscribe to the "best dressed man in the room" maxim as well. In this case, I bought this tan suit from Brooks Brothers last year and I really like it, so I'm always looking for an excuse to wear it. Looks damn good with a few of my ties, and it's a nice, light weight.

Straight from a used car guy (where else would you go to get fashion advice)

Unless the wedding is black tie, and I'm assuming it isn't or you wouldn't have asked about the tan suit in the first place, the tan suit for the wedding and reception would be fine. However, I personally would take the advice given by someone else and wear grey slacks with a navy blazer or a dark blue suit with a tie for the wedding and remove the tie for the reception only if it seems appropriate. It's someone else's wedding, which imo means you should just look to fit in.

Guest BillikenReport

I usually subscribe to the "best dressed man in the room" maxim as well. In this case, I bought this tan suit from Brooks Brothers last year and I really like it, so I'm always looking for an excuse to wear it. Looks damn good with a few of my ties, and it's a nice, light weight.

I'm a big fan of most Brooks Brothers clothing, so you're probably safe with this. But I don't know what "the rules" dictate for such an occasion.

- Nate

Blue suits should be mandatory for all Billiken fans, represent.

Suprised the call wasn't unanimous, shame on you all.

Dude, a suit the shade of blue that represents SLU's color would be hideously and outrageously loud! A royal blue tie would be fine; maybe even a shirt in that color -- not the suit.