4 Billikens Granted Release to Transfer (as expected)

TheBand

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 11, 2008 Men’s Basketball

Four Men’s Basketball Players Granted Release

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus announced today that four student-athletes

have been granted their release to transfer. The four, who will seek to continue their collegiate playing careers elsewhere, are

sophomore forward Adam Knollmeyer (Linn, Mo. / Linn), sophomore guard Dustin Maguire (Edwardsville, Ill. / Edwardsville),

freshman forward Anthony Mitchell (East St. Louis, Ill. / East St. Louis) and freshman forward Marcus Relphorde (Homewood,

Ill. / American Christian [Pa.]).

“After a thorough and in-depth conversation, together we agreed that it is in the best interests of everyone that they

pursue their academic and basketball careers elsewhere,” Majerus said. “Everybody at SLU appreciates their hard work and

dedication in the classroom and on the court, and we wish them all the best in the future. We will do everything in our power to

find the best fit both academically and athletically for them.”

Knollmeyer played in 22 games in 2007-08 and averaged 1.4 ppg and 1.2 rpg, while Maguire redshirted this season. Mitchell

appeared in eight games and totaled three points and seven rebounds. Relphorde saw action in 21 games and finished with 22 points

and 10 rebounds.

---www.slubillikens.com---

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ST. LOUIS – Saint Louis University head men’s basketball coach Rick Majerus announced today that four student-athletes

have been granted their release to transfer. The four, who will seek to continue their collegiate playing careers elsewhere, are

sophomore forward Adam Knollmeyer (Linn, Mo. / Linn), sophomore guard Dustin Maguire (Edwardsville, Ill. / Edwardsville),

freshman forward Anthony Mitchell (East St. Louis, Ill. / East St. Louis) and freshman forward Marcus Relphorde (Homewood,

“After a thorough and in-depth conversation, together we agreed that it is in the best interests of everyone that they

pursue their academic and basketball careers elsewhere,” Majerus said. “Everybody at SLU appreciates their hard work and

dedication in the classroom and on the court, and we wish them all the best in the future. We will do everything in our power to

Knollmeyer played in 22 games in 2007-08 and averaged 1.4 ppg and 1.2 rpg, while Maguire redshirted this season. Mitchell

appeared in eight games and totaled three points and seven rebounds. Relphorde saw action in 21 games and finished with 22 points

and 10 rebounds.

I would think that maybe these guys could do well in the Horizon conference or similar conference. Brad could land 5 (these guys plus Kramer) dudes right off the bat 2 of which could play next season. That is if he gets a HC job.

We had 1 unfilled Scholarship + 4 graduating seniors + 4 players leaving for a total of 9. Could we have 1 more is Eckerle is given an academic scholarhip? He'll probably stay on but who knows?

So we have

PG Kwamain Mitchell

SG Femi John

PG Ruben Cotto

SG Kyle Cassity

PF Brian Conklin

C Brett Thompson

C Willie Reed

for a total of 7

2 more to go. Come on Perry come on Harrelson.

Tyreke could make a good poster for sign guy.

Tyreke Da Freak!

Think about it Tyreke immortalized by sign dude in Sharpie and cardboard that's incentive right there.

I would think that maybe these guys could do well in the Horizon conference or similar conference. Brad could land 5 (these guys plus Kramer) dudes right off the bat 2 of which could play next season. That is if he gets a HC job.

We had 1 unfilled Scholarship + 4 graduating seniors + 4 players leaving for a total of 9. Could we have 1 more is Eckerle is given an academic scholarhip? He'll probably stay on but who knows?

So we have

PG Kwamain Mitchell

SG Femi John

PG Ruben Cotto

SG Kyle Cassity

PF Brian Conklin

C Brett Thompson

C Willie Reed

for a total of 7

2 more to go. Come on Perry come on Harrelson.

I want Trevor Mbakwe and Harrellson

Does this mean the four that were released can play next year for a D1 program or must they sit out a redshirt year. I assume at least Maguire is free to play next year since he has already sat out a year. Hopefully all can play immediately.

So we have

PG Kwamain Mitchell

SG Femi John

PG Ruben Cotto

SG Kyle Cassity

PF Brian Conklin

C Brett Thompson

C Willie Reed

for a total of 7

Fish or cut bait time; PE should be thanked for his effort but in the future SLU will have walk-ons with heart, height, more speed and better 3pt percentages; PE did what every good highschooler would like to do get his shot on a D1 basketball court-let's hope he gets a pre med scholarship

and becomes an MD

Does this mean the four that were released can play next year for a D1 program or must they sit out a redshirt year. I assume at least Maguire is free to play next year since he has already sat out a year. Hopefully all can play immediately.

No, all 4 will have to sit next year if they go to another Division 1 program. The only thing Dustin gained from red-shirting this year is 1 more year of eligibility-3 left instead of 2.

No, all 4 will have to sit next year if they go to another Division 1 program. The only thing Dustin gained from red-shirting this year is 1 more year of eligibility-3 left instead of 2.

Dustin will not gain another year of eligibility. You have a 5 year window in which you can play 4 years. If he plays at another D1 school, he will have to sit out another year (which would be his 3rd year ) and would only have 2 more years of eligibility, because he would have a total of 5 years at a D1 school. The only way he can have 3 more years of eligibility is if he goes to a D2 or lower school, which I think he will.

Dustin will not gain another year of eligibility. You have a 5 year window in which you can play 4 years. If he plays at another D1 school, he will have to sit out another year (which would be his 3rd year ) and would only have 2 more years of eligibility, because he would have a total of 5 years at a D1 school. The only way he can have 3 more years of eligibility is if he goes to a D2 or lower school, which I think he will.

You are correct-my bad.

He only has 3 years left if he goes Div 2. If he goes Div1, he sits out a year and then has 2 years of eligibility left. At least that is my underdstanding, i.e., 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility in Div1 unless the NCAA grants an exception for unusual circumstances.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

and 10 rebounds.

Well, this shouldn't be a total surprise to anyone who's been paying attention. Godd luck to all of them.

Or he can go to a JUCO and play next year and transfer to any school for 2 years eligibility after that - like Stemler did.

So we have

PG Kwamain Mitchell

SG Femi John

PG Ruben Cotto

SG Kyle Cassity

PF Brian Conklin

C Brett Thompson

C Willie Reed

for a total of 7

Fish or cut bait time; PE should be thanked for his effort but in the future SLU will have walk-ons with heart, height, more speed and better 3pt percentages; PE did what every good highschooler would like to do get his shot on a D1 basketball court-let's hope he gets a pre med scholarship

and becomes an MD

Well, then I think the student athelete is screwed again. I just cannot understand why a school can release a player with no penalty but then the player is punished and has to sit out a year. In this case the student should be able to play elsewhere right away. The NCAA does not have this right.

Well, then I think the student athelete is screwed again. I just cannot understand why a school can release a player with no penalty but then the player is punished and has to sit out a year. In this case the student should be able to play elsewhere right away. The NCAA does not have this right.

boo hoo, poor student athlete. Always getting screwed.

it's not fair, but the kids aren't suffering in the grand scheme of things.

They do have the right but maybe they shouldn't have the right. It is a private association. They can do whatever they want.

Actually, a redshirt year for the three guys who have not will help them tremendously. I was thinking that if they stayed here, they would be better off redshirting one year to get a fifth year, a little older, better, more mature. Especially Marcus and Adam. Adam to get a little better with the ball in his hands and Marcus has a lot of tools but needs some time to put it all together. I think both of them will eventually be very good players in their 3rd and 4th years for the respective teams they go to.

PE is not going anywhere. And he is a lot better shooter than you are giving him credit for. Everytime he gets enough shots, he starts knocking them down.

RM likes Paul and the way he practices and plays...I bet he will help be a mentor for the freshmen....even if he just plays spot minutes RM will value his presence in the program. Kevin and Tommie are more "lead by example" guys. When you have 13 on scholarship, but an 8 or 9 man rotation...its good to have a kid who understand the big picture and his role to help the team in whatever way asked. Leaving him on scholarship is a good investment.