Crowd Support is Pathetic

Let's forget about the student section for a minute. The crowds that come to the games, for lack of a better word, SUCK! I'm not including those few fans that actually do make noise during the game. When I went down to SMS for the mens and womens games their entire crowd got into the game, not just a select few and the average age in that place was 65 and some were so old they probably played intramurals with Jesus. Waiting for the last minute or so to make noise and get behind your team is unacceptable. MAKE SOME FREAKING NOISE. here are two basic things that I would like to see.

1. When the band does the S-A-INT L-O-UIS cheer I would like everyone to join in.

2. Get loud when the Billikens are on defense.

I do agree with you that our crowds are weak however, I do not blame them. The games and our style of play is so boring and there rarely is anything to get excited about. I think we just guzzle beer as fast as possible so we can forget what it is we are watching. If our style of play resemebled something like the last 3-4 minutes of the game then folks will get loud and be into the game.

I do agree with you that our crowds are weak however, I do not blame them. The games and our style of play is so boring and there rarely is anything to get excited about. I think we just guzzle beer as fast as possible so we can forget what it is we are watching. If our style of play resemebled something like the last 3-4 minutes of the game then folks will get loud and be into the game.

DirtyRican speaks the TRUTH!

Blue Crew is slow to get into cheers...if you have been to the games you have probably heard the crazy fan in the first row of the balconey screaming "DEFENSE DEFENSE" before the Blue Crew picks up the chant about the time the opponent scores.

Let's forget about the student section for a minute. The crowds that come to the games, for lack of a better word, SUCK! I'm not including those few fans that actually do make noise during the game. When I went down to SMS for the mens and womens games their entire crowd got into the game, not just a select few and the average age in that place was 65 and some were so old they probably played intramurals with Jesus. Waiting for the last minute or so to make noise and get behind your team is unacceptable. MAKE SOME FREAKING NOISE. here are two basic things that I would like to see.

1. When the band does the S-A-INT L-O-UIS cheer I would like everyone to join in.

I was surprised that so many people showed up for this game. Did anyone know Sam Houston was 7-0 and had beaten Oklahoma at Okla?

How does anyone expect the crowds to get into the game when they dropped the bit that Brad did where he inrtoduced the opponent before the game on

the big screen-and by the way how small town did we look when Scott Trade center couldn't get the scoreboard to work for half of the first half?

For a million bucks a year I expect at least a warm up comedian before the main attraction comes on. Finally, someone got Guy Phillips to stop announcing "one minute left in the game"

Real basketball fans know to stay until the end of the game even if you are behind. Because the NBA has taught us that is when the stars start to play

I was surprised that so many people showed up for this game. Did anyone know Sam Houston was 7-0 and had beaten Oklahoma at Okla?

How does anyone expect the crowds to get into the game when they dropped the bit that Brad did where he inrtoduced the opponent before the game on

the big screen-and by the way how small town did we look when Scott Trade center couldn't get the scoreboard to work for half of the first half?

For a million bucks a year I expect at least a warm up comedian before the main attraction comes on. Finally, someone got Guy Phillips to stop announcing "one minute left in the game"

Real basketball fans know to stay until the end of the game even if you are behind. Because the NBA has taught us that is when the stars start to play

First of all...Sam Houston State did not beat Oklahoma at Oklahoma. You are probably referring to their win over Texas Tech which was a home game for Sam Houston.

Other than that, I agree with your assessment that the whole presentation before the game does not help with the excitement. Last year, when the lights were turned off and whatnot, I felt that there was really a build up to game time.

Also, I don't blame fans for not getting involved in the games. As a member of the band, we try everything in our power to get fans involved, but it seems like nothing will work. The system that RM is trying to run just isn't an exciting system. It is a very slow game that lacks any sort of flare (e.g. Fast breaks leading to dunks like the video that was posted on another thread). When the players stopped following the system and actually utilized their athleticism and instinct, the crowd did start to get going. The fact of the matter is the casual fan (which accounts for most people at SLU games) loves offense. When a team scores 5 points in the first 10 minutes of the game, you can't blame the crowd for being unenthusiastic.

First of all...Sam Houston State did not beat Oklahoma at Oklahoma. You are probably referring to their win over Texas Tech which was a home game for Sam Houston.

Other than that, I agree with your assessment that the whole presentation before the game does not help with the excitement. Last year, when the lights were turned off and whatnot, I felt that there was really a build up to game time.

Also, I don't blame fans for not getting involved in the games. As a member of the band, we try everything in our power to get fans involved, but it seems like nothing will work. The system that RM is trying to run just isn't an exciting system. It is a very slow game that lacks any sort of flare (e.g. Fast breaks leading to dunks like the video that was posted on another thread). When the players stopped following the system and actually utilized their athleticism and instinct, the crowd did start to get going. The fact of the matter is the casual fan (which accounts for most people at SLU games) loves offense. When a team scores 5 points in the first 10 minutes of the game, you can't blame the crowd for being unenthusiastic.

what is a casual fan?

what is a casual fan?

I honestly can't believe you haven't heard the term casual fan used before...but for those of you who seemingly haven't...a casual fan is a fan that is relatively ignorant about the team and lacks the dedication that most of us on this board have. For example, like billikenfan mentioned those fans that wear other teams apparel at SLU games. You can't argue that many people that fill the seats at most SLU games are fans that could really care less what the outcome of the game is. They will go to see a game of basketball without any sort of emotional connection. Hence, the crowd doesn't cheer or get into the game. This effect is further magnified when we play a slow brand of basketball. Unless the fans truly understand the fundamentals of the game (which we aren't even executing right now at times) then a slow game with great defense doesn't appeal to them. They like flash and offense.

I swear everytime I see someone in a missouri jacket or hat at the games i want to rip it off them and throw it in the trash!!!!!!

I agree completely! The worst was last season at the UNC game when numerous SLU students sported all their UNC garb...

I freaking hate that. I saw Mizzou, Illinois, UNC, etc. on Saturday.

i had a guy in front of me saturday night with a unc cap on that was just clueless. some of the nonesense he was spewing was almost unbearable.

i had a guy in front of me saturday night with a unc cap on that was just clueless. some of the nonesense he was spewing was almost unbearable.

What is also unbelievable is how little SLU gear is for sale at Scottrade. I ran into some students at Humphrey's after the Long Beach game that were wearing white tee shirts they had made with RM's face on it and Majerus' Mob on the back. The seemed stunned when my buddy and I asked if they had any for sale.

Hopefully this all changes next year with our own arena but I do agree it pains me to see the Mizzou, Illini and UNC wearing folks at the game.....

What is also unbelievable is how little SLU gear is for sale at Scottrade. I ran into some students at Humphrey's after the Long Beach game that were wearing white tee shirts they had made with RM's face on it and Majerus' Mob on the back. The seemed stunned when my buddy and I asked if they had any for sale.

Hopefully this all changes next year with our own arena but I do agree it pains me to see the Mizzou, Illini and UNC wearing folks at the game.....

the scott trade wants us out of there yesterday. so it doesnt surprise me that they dont have any billiken stuff to sell.

the scoreboard fiasco on saturday was unbelieveable. and then after they got it fixed, they had the stats so messed up. sam houston states stats were not even close to being right. it was like a blind man was keeping the stats.

Save for a handful of good saesons and big games, crowd support is pretty much what it has been for 30 years. Nothing getting some wins won't solve.

You saying Jesus couldn't hit a curveball!?!?