Check Point #1

Taj79

I think last night's game was as I've said before, the first real in-season reality check as to just where this team is. The reviews are, at best, a C-minus team. Let's remember its not a final report card mark, however. It can go up. It does show some measuring sticks, much like marking a child's growth progress on the door jamb. What do we know right now?

#1) Rick ain't blowing smoke. His "coach-speak" appears to be more correct as opposed to him setting the bar low and exceeding all expectations. For example, I think that if Rick were here when Bryce was a freshman, then this fifth-year senior wouldn't be here anymore. He'd be pulling down a paycheck for his efforts. I can't see a five-year player under Rick making as little progress as we have seen with both JJ and Bryce under the FRUBS (former regime under Brad Sodeberg).

#2) The bench is woefully thin. What did someone say, one point off the bench last night? I don't know what that means but it wil be interesting as the year progresses. Are the FRUBS recruits doomed? I have always thought the FRUBS shortcoming to have been evaluating and developing talent. Are Mitchell and Relaphorde destined to finish their collegiate careers elsewhere? The chef is making a broccoli casserole and are these guys brussel sprouts?

#2A) -- a drop down but you realized that without developing something off the bench, either Mitchell or Relaphorde or both, the firepwoer for next year is a bunch of freshmen? Great recruiting class notwithstanding, and maybe I am used to this from the FRUBS years, but our freshmen rarely contribute much if anything. What convinces me otherwise with Rick?

#3) Still no secondary option on the exterior. Not surprisingly, as Lisch goes so go the Bills. Timmerman said bad game andthe score was not indicative. Lisch scored seven while the game "counted," reaching 16 while pumping away in desperation time (nice job, tho). Polk still cant' shoot. Eckerle had a bad review game. Tommie was kept off the board (even a genius like Henson knows those strengths). The scouting report on this team has to be easy --- stop #21 and #25 and let the others try and beat you. Even a schlump like Brian Gregory ought to be able to figure that one out.

#4) Nice to know "#15 is a beast," as former D1 said. But once again, due to limitations, we have a face-up player playing with his back to the basket. Do we really know if Brett Thompson or Willie Reed are capable of playing and thereby getting Baryr back to a more comfortable position next year? Next year we certainly don't have Bryce as an option.

As stated in a preevious thread by kshoe, Bills team don't traditionally win on the road. We have lost our last (now0 four games to the Bears and the only teams of ours that went down there and won were arguably two of the best in Billiken history, Claggs senior team and the Gray/Douglas team of their freshmen years. What last night told me is that the status quo on this edition remains in place. Wins on the road (hello Richmond and La Salle even) will be adventures and should never be considered locks of any sort. Scoring will be difficult (shudder at the thought of losing anyIIIone on this team). Defending the home turf will also be more of a battle.

Reality check #2 (I think) will be the SIU game. Can we play with them on our own court? Can we win? I think we can. Doing so woudl maintian my version of the status quo ---- which means we have an average team right now.

I think last night's game was as I've said before, the first real in-season reality check as to just where this team is. The reviews are, at best, a C-minus team. Let's remember its not a final report card mark, however. It can go up. It does show some measuring sticks, much like marking a child's growth progress on the door jamb. What do we know right now?

#1) Rick ain't blowing smoke. His "coach-speak" appears to be more correct as opposed to him setting the bar low and exceeding all expectations. For example, I think that if Rick were here when Bryce was a freshman, then this fifth-year senior wouldn't be here anymore. He'd be pulling down a paycheck for his efforts. I can't see a five-year player under Rick making as little progress as we have seen with both JJ and Bryce under the FRUBS (former regime under Brad Sodeberg).

#2) The bench is woefully thin. What did someone say, one point off the bench last night? I don't know what that means but it wil be interesting as the year progresses. Are the FRUBS recruits doomed? I have always thought the FRUBS shortcoming to have been evaluating and developing talent. Are Mitchell and Relaphorde destined to finish their collegiate careers elsewhere? The chef is making a broccoli casserole and are these guys brussel sprouts?

#2A) -- a drop down but you realized that without developing something off the bench, either Mitchell or Relaphorde or both, the firepwoer for next year is a bunch of freshmen? Great recruiting class notwithstanding, and maybe I am used to this from the FRUBS years, but our freshmen rarely contribute much if anything. What convinces me otherwise with Rick?

#3) Still no secondary option on the exterior. Not surprisingly, as Lisch goes so go the Bills. Timmerman said bad game andthe score was not indicative. Lisch scored seven while the game "counted," reaching 16 while pumping away in desperation time (nice job, tho). Polk still cant' shoot. Eckerle had a bad review game. Tommie was kept off the board (even a genius like Henson knows those strengths). The scouting report on this team has to be easy --- stop #21 and #25 and let the others try and beat you. Even a schlump like Brian Gregory ought to be able to figure that one out.

#4) Nice to know "#15 is a beast," as former D1 said. But once again, due to limitations, we have a face-up player playing with his back to the basket. Do we really know if Brett Thompson or Willie Reed are capable of playing and thereby getting Baryr back to a more comfortable position next year? Next year we certainly don't have Bryce as an option.

As stated in a preevious thread by kshoe, Bills team don't traditionally win on the road. We have lost our last (now0 four games to the Bears and the only teams of ours that went down there and won were arguably two of the best in Billiken history, Claggs senior team and the Gray/Douglas team of their freshmen years. What last night told me is that the status quo on this edition remains in place. Wins on the road (hello Richmond and La Salle even) will be adventures and should never be considered locks of any sort. Scoring will be difficult (shudder at the thought of losing anyIIIone on this team). Defending the home turf will also be more of a battle.

Reality check #2 (I think) will be the SIU game. Can we play with them on our own court? Can we win? I think we can. Doing so woudl maintian my version of the status quo ---- which means we have an average team right now.

I could not argue with any of your comments. From the beginning I was convinced that RM saw choppy waters ahead and was telling it straight. Think about all the stuff he has said that some thought was a bit brutal - he truly is a coach who talks turkey ( sorry it is Thanksgiving) so believe what he says.

I understand your view that the glass is half empty because that has been your attitude over the years. But I disagree with your conclusion that if we beat SIU at home then that would be the same as losing to Mo State on the road. SIU will come in highly ranked so a victory will be a real plus for the team and the coach. I would have expected a negative post like this when we lost a game everyone expected to win. For me, at least, I did not think we would win this game.

I don't think MR will contribute much this year. I don't think he has the skill set to contribute at 2 or 3. He just doesn't look quick enough and seems a bit slow in getting off his jump shot. I think for him to stick and contribute here he's got to hit the weight room and work on his post moves. He's got the body to develope into a 4 and is quick enough to play there.

I know how you interpret my "view" and I know you are not alone. That's okay. I can respect that. As I said some time ago, the "kan" in your handle has to stand for "can do." That's okay too. However, the hiring of Rick Majerus, while huge and positive and unthinkable by me originally, does not make up for a lack of talent and depth on the court. I expressed my surprise in the prediction thread where every poster on there had the Bills winning in Springfield last night. Base don what?

I challenge you, in a gentlemanly way, to identify where I concluded that "beat(ing) SIU at home would be the same as losing to Mo State on the road." Even I am not that negative. I said I would expect the next reality check to occur at the SIU game. I said I would expect to beat them at home, much like I (and you I see) expected to lose to Mo State on the road. Beating SIU would indeed be huge but given that I somewhat expect it, not an overly huge surprise. We have beaten ranked teams at home in similar fashion (Louisville with Marque Perry). We have handled some very good teams at home with ease --- past encounters with Xavier, Memphis, Charlotte, Cincinnati, etc. A decent team does that. So the reality check to me is "can we do that" because if we can, that's a check in the block of "typical and usual." Middle-of-the-road teams can do this with some regularity. Middle-of-the-road teams also lose some of these as well. Good teams defend the home turf with relative ease and win a few that they should win on the road. Great teams makes other teams dread coming into our place and win more than half the time on the road. Special teams romp at home and suffer a couple of surprises on the road.

So I never compared the actual event of winning at home against a ranked team to the event of losing on the road against anyone. I expect to compete at home against SIU. At this point, I even expect a win (it might be an expectation that is 51/49 but it is what it is). Having said that, if we do indeed lose to SIU, the reality check at that point will be lower my expectation of this team due to that result. If we get blown out, its time to try other things. Figure out ways to improve.

My third reality check will be at the end of the non-conference schedule. There are some teams coming in that I would be hard pressed to find motivation in playing. IUPUI? Long Beach State? Again, a good team defends the home turf; meaning sweeps and no losses.

At some point, the reality check may require personnel issues that I don't care to discuss, not being in the know. Some teams can rely on the new freshman class to carry the program, expecially when you get guys named Jordan, Hansborough, Webber, Howard, Oden, Conley, etc. But those programs are called North Carolina, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, etc. etc. Not Saint Louis University. So, while I am obviously excited about next year as well, we will need to carry some supplemental parts from this year to it. We have Lisch, Liddell and Eberhardt. Will we have more. Or did the FRUBS leave the cupboard stocked, but with anemic turkeys?

You can continue to call it negativity. I'll call it reality.

I know how you interpret my "view" and I know you are not alone. That's okay. I can respect that. As I said some time ago, the "kan" in your handle has to stand for "can do." That's okay too. However, the hiring of Rick Majerus, while huge and positive and unthinkable by me originally, does not make up for a lack of talent and depth on the court. I expressed my surprise in the prediction thread where every poster on there had the Bills winning in Springfield last night. Base don what?

I challenge you, in a gentlemanly way, to identify where I concluded that "beat(ing) SIU at home would be the same as losing to Mo State on the road." Even I am not that negative. I said I would expect the next reality check to occur at the SIU game. I said I would expect to beat them at home, much like I (and you I see) expected to lose to Mo State on the road. Beating SIU would indeed be huge but given that I somewhat expect it, not an overly huge surprise. We have beaten ranked teams at home in similar fashion (Louisville with Marque Perry). We have handled some very good teams at home with ease --- past encounters with Xavier, Memphis, Charlotte, Cincinnati, etc. A decent team does that. So the reality check to me is "can we do that" because if we can, that's a check in the block of "typical and usual." Middle-of-the-road teams can do this with some regularity. Middle-of-the-road teams also lose some of these as well. Good teams defend the home turf with relative ease and win a few that they should win on the road. Great teams makes other teams dread coming into our place and win more than half the time on the road. Special teams romp at home and suffer a couple of surprises on the road.

So I never compared the actual event of winning at home against a ranked team to the event of losing on the road against anyone. I expect to compete at home against SIU. At this point, I even expect a win (it might be an expectation that is 51/49 but it is what it is). Having said that, if we do indeed lose to SIU, the reality check at that point will be lower my expectation of this team due to that result. If we get blown out, its time to try other things. Figure out ways to improve.

My third reality check will be at the end of the non-conference schedule. There are some teams coming in that I would be hard pressed to find motivation in playing. IUPUI? Long Beach State? Again, a good team defends the home turf; meaning sweeps and no losses.

At some point, the reality check may require personnel issues that I don't care to discuss, not being in the know. Some teams can rely on the new freshman class to carry the program, expecially when you get guys named Jordan, Hansborough, Webber, Howard, Oden, Conley, etc. But those programs are called North Carolina, Duke, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, etc. etc. Not Saint Louis University. So, while I am obviously excited about next year as well, we will need to carry some supplemental parts from this year to it. We have Lisch, Liddell and Eberhardt. Will we have more. Or did the FRUBS leave the cupboard stocked, but with anemic turkeys?

You can continue to call it negativity. I'll call it reality.

I am not as negative as you are at this point but I agree that the out of conference games against Loyola, Long Beach, IUPUI and Pacific will make or break this season. We really need to sweep them all and each of those teams has the ability to upset us if we do not play well. The one thing that remains to be seen is if this coach can make a difference with recruits that he did not bring in. I do not know if Anthony Mitchell is hurt but I am amazed that he is not playing at least a few minutes a game. It makes me wonder if there is something else going on there. We will need to play a lot better to get over .500 in the conference and I was unhappy with the quote in the paper from RM that he does not see this team getting better. I love the guy but that is why we hired him--to make teams better. Maybe it is just some more of his reverse psyche job on the team but I really do not like to hear it in the press.

I don't think MR will contribute much this year. I don't think he has the skill set to contribute at 2 or 3. He just doesn't look quick enough and seems a bit slow in getting off his jump shot. I think for him to stick and contribute here he's got to hit the weight room and work on his post moves. He's got the body to develope into a 4 and is quick enough to play there.

Agree with this post. Don't think Marcus is a 3. Needs to hit the weights and grow into a 4.

I don't think anyone's being negative on here when they post objectively and realistically. Just about every coach worth his salt will tell you he can't win without players. Players win games. A bad coach may cause good players to play bad, but it seldom works the other way, ie a good coach can get less than average players to play great. That's not a knock on our players as we have at least 4, TL, KL, BE, and LM that would earn significant minutes on 90% of the teams in D1. The problem is that's not enough numbers. You need 7 to 8. I think that's why RM says he needs practice, practice, practice time with these kids. At best we were mediocre before RM arrived, he's not going to turn this around after 6 games, 12 games, 18 games, etc. What we can hope for is to see improvement and player development. Like, our juniors TL, BE, and KL get comfortable and instinctive with the system rather than tentative. Our freshmen MR, PE, and AM get D1 smarts. Our seniors do what's ever asked to the best they're able. I think they're trying, but besides LM, DP, DB, and BH are only going to contribute what they are able. Now seeing BH against DM and Furman was fun, but against a decent front court it wasn't so much fun. So, their development period's pretty much passed them by. They are what they have been. Just look at DP. A Pg who can't shoot and doesn't penetrate is a pretty critical missing piece of the puzzle. All that sound negative? Probably, but it would be hard to argue with any of it. The difference now though is we have a future. At least five or six players back who've been in the system for a year, with two of them being our best players, a promising incoming freshman class which looks like it will be bolstered in the spring with maybe a JUCO or two. We didn't have this the last 2-3 years and that's where the negativity came in. It's a new day at SLU, but it's still in the wee hours of the morning.

I don't think anyone's being negative on here when they post objectively and realistically. Just about every coach worth his salt will tell you he can't win without players. Players win games. A bad coach may cause good players to play bad, but it seldom works the other way, ie a good coach can get less than average players to play great. That's not a knock on our players as we have at least 4, TL, KL, BE, and LM that would earn significant minutes on 90% of the teams in D1. The problem is that's not enough numbers. You need 7 to 8. I think that's why RM says he needs practice, practice, practice time with these kids. At best we were mediocre before RM arrived, he's not going to turn this around after 6 games, 12 games, 18 games, etc. What we can hope for is to see improvement and player development. Like, our juniors TL, BE, and KL get comfortable and instinctive with the system rather than tentative. Our freshmen MR, PE, and AM get D1 smarts. Our seniors do what's ever asked to the best they're able. I think they're trying, but besides LM, DP, DB, and BH are only going to contribute what they are able. Now seeing BH against DM and Furman was fun, but against a decent front court it wasn't so much fun. So, their development period's pretty much passed them by. They are what they have been. Just look at DP. A Pg who can't shoot and doesn't penetrate is a pretty critical missing piece of the puzzle. All that sound negative? Probably, but it would be hard to argue with any of it. The difference now though is we have a future. At least five or six players back who've been in the system for a year, with two of them being our best players, a promising incoming freshman class which looks like it will be bolstered in the spring with maybe a JUCO or two. We didn't have this the last 2-3 years and that's where the negativity came in. It's a new day at SLU, but it's still in the wee hours of the morning.

the more i watch majerus coach the more i think he wants his and only his players asap. meyer and eckerle have converted. i think that lisch has converted but at the expense of giving up some of his offense.

next year will amazingly bring a whole new air to the team because majerus is going to add 5-8 of HIS players. and the following season he should have completely turned over the roster. until then we might see some head scratching stuff. not that anything is wrong with that other than short term i am betting it will cost us some wins. i am betting that instead of winning 20-22 this year i now believe it will be more like 16-18 wins this year. still a positive season. just not what i was hoping for. but long term, it will be for the best.

the more i watch majerus coach the more i think he wants his and only his players asap. meyer and eckerle have converted. i think that lisch has converted but at the expense of giving up some of his offense.

next year will amazingly bring a whole new air to the team because majerus is going to add 5-8 of HIS players. and the following season he should have completely turned over the roster. until then we might see some head scratching stuff. not that anything is wrong with that other than short term i am betting it will cost us some wins. i am betting that instead of winning 20-22 this year i now believe it will be more like 16-18 wins this year. still a positive season. just not what i was hoping for. but long term, it will be for the best.

I'd agree with you B'roy. 18 w's. I projected more. Definitely a work in progress season. Even next year will probably be similar, although a rabbit out of the hat JUCO or two might turn it around quicker. Especially if they're a decent PG and PF.

I'd agree with you B'roy. 18 w's. I projected more. Definitely a work in progress season. Even next year will probably be similar, although a rabbit out of the hat JUCO or two might turn it around quicker. Especially if they're a decent PG and PF.

after watching majerus thus far, "rabbit out of the hat" players arent majerus forte imo. that player better be luke meyer with even more skills (that would equate to keith van horne likely) or majerus isnt going to bite on any quick fix guys. just my opinion. but this coach is a no shortcut anal do it by the book kind of guy i think. again, long run that is going to produce some big things and to be honest, i have long preached patience and long term. so i guess i should be excited. from a billikens standpoint, i look forward to march 2010.

after watching majerus thus far, "rabbit out of the hat" players arent majerus forte imo. that player better be luke meyer with even more skills (that would equate to keith van horne likely) or majerus isnt going to bite on any quick fix guys. just my opinion. but this coach is a no shortcut anal do it by the book kind of guy i think. again, long run that is going to produce some big things and to be honest, i have long preached patience and long term. so i guess i should be excited. from a billikens standpoint, i look forward to march 2010.

Roy, I agree 100% with your thinking. As I have watched us over the season, I see no attempt to adjust our game plan to accomodate the players we have but rather an attempt to impose his style and game plan regardless of whether we have the personnel to play his game. Our offense is really out of sync and I believe it is because it is designed for Majerus type players, including a roster full of bigs who can shoot from the outside. We need the three new big guys for next year and Griffey the following year to give us the type of players that will fit into this system. This confirms what we all implicitly knew--that the big name coaches win because they get excellent players on an ongoing basis who fit into their system. I feel confident that we will continue to be successful in recruiting but this year may be a difficult one.

I have been predicting 18-12 since before the season started, thats what we were last year and we didnt reallly get better. I was not alive, or old enogh to comprehend, When Majerus was THAT good. Im still waiting to see what he can do.

Now before I get bombarded let me say that I understand that the players need to buy into his system. I dont understand why he isnt utilizing what good tools we have (TL and KL)

also roy what makes you think polk hasnt bought int the system?

i guess the thinking is "the sooner we are showing our system and not compromising for the sake of just immediate results the better for future recruits to visualize how they will fit in".

i assumed that most coaches would gradually implement that and in the meantime win as much as possible. of course that could then keep your system from ever materializing. i know romar had that problem. he kept talking about wanting to implement a fast paced offense but in the meantime had to make do with the team he had. he never came close to putting the offense on display he talked about. and maybe that is what we are still suffering from to this day as soderberg promised the same and never did as well.

majerus has never promised any kind of fast break offense, but he obviously wants to utilize his roster differently than what we saw previously.

I have been predicting 18-12 since before the season started, thats what we were last year and we didnt reallly get better. I was not alive, or old enogh to comprehend, When Majerus was THAT good. Im still waiting to see what he can do.

Now before I get bombarded let me say that I understand that the players need to buy into his system. I dont understand why he isnt utilizing what good tools we have (TL and KL)

also roy what makes you think polk hasnt bought int the system?

i should have included him. i just dont consider polk relevant. when we see polk doing end to end drives and dishing 5-7 assts per game, then i might remember to include him in the discussions. sorry.

the more i watch majerus coach the more i think he wants his and only his players asap.

next year will amazingly bring a whole new air to the team because majerus is going to add 5-8 of HIS players.

Don't disagree with you, but shouldn't a Hall of Fame coach be able to get some positive contributions out of the folks on our bench? To this point, it doesn't seem like his is able to get it yet, but at this early stage I put it on the players not understanding the system. But later in the year, if it is still the same, I put it on the coach's inability to get the ability out of the player.

i should have included him. i just dont consider polk relevant. when we see polk doing end to end drives and dishing 5-7 assts per game, then i might remember to include him in the discussions. sorry.

Its sad because we have seen polk be that PG we all want him to be. He just needs to play his D get the outlet come down the floor and make a bullet pass to a streaking TOMMie for a dunk. Thats what this team is missing

Don't disagree with you, but shouldn't a Hall of Fame coach be able to get some positive contributions out of the folks on our bench? To this point, it doesn't seem like his is able to get it yet, but at this early stage I put it on the players not understanding the system. But later in the year, if it is still the same, I put it on the coach's inability to get the ability out of the player.

part of what we are seeing is possibly majerus making his point to the extreme degree. i.e. get it or get out. clear three more spots and let me bring in an open mind. that is just my opinion. i have never heard coach majerus or any of the assts say anything of the sort. but one has to try to make sense over what we are seeing somehow. that is a view that would make sense imo. there is no way the likes of relphorde, mitchell and knollmeyer are just not good enough to play more/some at this level.

Its sad because we have seen polk be that PG we all want him to be. He just needs to play his D get the outlet come down the floor and make a bullet pass to a streaking TOMMie for a dunk. Thats what this team is missing

i agree. but imo, no one is stopping him from doing that. why we dont see it on a regular basis is baffling.

part of what we are seeing is possibly majerus making his point to the extreme degree. i.e. get it or get out. clear three more spots and let me bring in an open mind. that is just my opinion. i have never heard coach majerus or any of the assts say anything of the sort. but one has to try to make sense over what we are seeing somehow. that is a view that would make sense imo. there is no way the likes of relphorde, mitchell and knollmeyer are just not good enough to play more/some at this level.

I hear ya and that type of conjecture makes sense.

I guess i'm a little disappointed that RM has not been able to incorporate more players. It's early, so I will just conclude that this "new system" is really tough for everyone to pick up (is it really that tough to pick up a new basketball system? it's not rocket science...right?).

I will probably have a different point of view if 2/3rds into the season we are still playing 7 deep and players aren't "picking up the system."

I hear ya and that type of conjecture makes sense.

I guess i'm a little disappointed that RM has not been able to incorporate more players. It's early, so I will just conclude that this "new system" is really tough for everyone to pick up (is it really that tough to pick up a new basketball system? it's not rocket science...right?).

I will probably have a different point of view if 2/3rds into the season we are still playing 7 deep and players aren't "picking up the system."

how much you want to bet coach majerus wants things so precise it is a matter of a player is 2 feet from his man instead of 1 foot. or a player dribbles behind his back to change direction instead of a step back crossover, or a dribbler doesnt run his man into a screen, or a screen isnt set on the elbow instead of the top of the key on a certain play, etc.

how much you want to bet coach majerus wants things so precise it is a matter of a player is 2 feet from his man instead of 1 foot. or a player dribbles behind his back to change direction instead of a step back crossover, or a dribbler doesnt run his man into a screen, or a screen isnt set on the elbow instead of the top of the key on a certain play, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't know. That's why i asked. If it's that particular, then it sounds pretty difficult to pick up.

Honestly, I wouldn't know. That's why i asked. If it's that particular, then it sounds pretty difficult to pick up.

It is very hard, if it's being done right and I'm sure with RM it is very precise. The most difficult part isn't knowing when or how to set a screen, it's how to make the right reads. Where you go off of a screen depends on the defender, the passer, the cutter, and the guy setting the screen all have to be on the same page.

Hard to believe, but you would be surprised at some of the coaching at the HS level. Here is an example, I was with a local HS girls coach and what they didn't know shocked me. I know it is girls, but still. An example .... when you receive a pass and you drop your strong foot back (some call it a triple threat position, I had never heard that terminology, but they use it here) if you turn your back foot outward, it turns your shoulder slightly. How slightly of course depends on how much you turn you foot outward. Doing so gives the direction you are most likely to move away, allowing the defender to cheat just a little. It seems small, but it's actually a big deal. This coach didn't know it and every girl on the HS team was doing it wrong. I don't pretend to know all the little details of RM's motion offense .... but there are so many little details that don't get taught with much precision at the lower levels ... and it's probably worse with the great athletes as their sheer athleticism allows them to excell without being so detailed ... I get the impression RM is very precise and expects nothing short of perfection. Imo it is a big reason why we seem a bit out of sync offensively this early in the year .... too much thinking. Once everyone has gotten to the level that they are doing things the way RM wants instictively .... we should see a better flow to what we are doing on the court.