Andy Strickland and Open practices

thetorch

Andy was on Bernie and Randy's show with the daily buzz and did another critique of Majerus and SLU.

Once again Andy feels slighted that Majerus refuses to be interviewed and apparently turned down being the cover story of the newest issue of STL Sports Magazine (A monthly put out by the brass at 1380).

Strickland also complained about not being able to watch practices this year. Bernie then chimed in that Majerus personally invited Bernie to sit in on practices. I feel better knowing that Majerus can spot a hack like Andy Strickland from a mile away. Only bad thing is he does have a show where he can badmouth SLU for ignoring him.

Both Bernie and Strickland were lukewarm on the Biancardi hiring.

After reading Majerus' book I understand his views on closed practice. Majerus regualrly would have other coaches come into practices and critique what Majerus is doing. I think practice is treated pretty professionally. It is his job, I wouldn't want someone watching me at the office all day. I have no idea what the norm for open practices is around the NCAA. Surely Majerus isn't the only one whose practices are by invite only.

After reading Majerus' book I understand his views on closed practice. Majerus regualrly would have other coaches come into practices and critique what Majerus is doing. I think practice is treated pretty professionally. It is his job, I wouldn't want someone watching me at the office all day. I have no idea what the norm for open practices is around the NCAA. Surely Majerus isn't the only one whose practices are by invite only.

I've always viewed the open practices as a privelage rather than a right and am fairly certain that most BCS caliber programs do not have open practices. Anybody honestly believe they can walk into Cameron and watch Duke practice? Of course not.

Strickland needs to stick with the stuff that he knows which is blues hockey. Trying to become a radio personality is something he is not very good at. I heard him and Bernie talking about Biancardi and they both felt that he should get a second chance but were a little surprised that Majerus would hire someone with a bit of a checkered past.

Andy was on Bernie and Randy's show with the daily buzz and did another critique of Majerus and SLU.

Once again Andy feels slighted that Majerus refuses to be interviewed and apparently turned down being the cover story of the newest issue of STL Sports Magazine (A monthly put out by the brass at 1380).

Strickland also complained about not being able to watch practices this year. Bernie then chimed in that Majerus personally invited Bernie to sit in on practices. I feel better knowing that Majerus can spot a hack like Andy Strickland from a mile away. Only bad thing is he does have a show where he can badmouth SLU for ignoring him.

We discussed this within the past week or so but I guess it needs to be addressed again. I'm not sure why were upset with a media member who WANTS to cover the Bills and GIVE THEM MORE PRESS! For years people have bitched that the Bills don't get enougth attention and we have a local media member in town who wants to talk about them. You can't have it both ways. Don't ***** in December if the Post has the Tigers on the front page and the Bills on page 8. And Strickland is not a hack. I get the impression he works harder than 90% of the rest of the media in St. Louis, certainly more than anyone on 590. He seems fairly knowledgeable about the Rams, Blues, Cardinals and a lot of other stuff going on in the area.

We discussed this within the past week or so but I guess it needs to be addressed again. I'm not sure why were upset with a media member who WANTS to cover the Bills and GIVE THEM MORE PRESS! For years people have bitched that the Bills don't get enougth attention and we have a local media member in town who wants to talk about them. You can't have it both ways. Don't ***** in December if the Post has the Tigers on the front page and the Bills on page 8. And Strickland is not a hack. I get the impression he works harder than 90% of the rest of the media in St. Louis, certainly more than anyone on 590. He seems fairly knowledgeable about the Rams, Blues, Cardinals and a lot of other stuff going on in the area.

Thank you Mr. or Mrs. Strickland.

No problem Sister 2.

Back to the serious part of the thread - In years past SLU's coaches and program needed any and all pubs it could get. With RM as coach, the any pub is not the issue but goodproductive pub is. Bernie is the the guy at 1380 who as the connection with RM so it is not like RM is ignoring 1380. He simply is saying I have met by obligation to 1380 through Bernie. This is only an issue for Strickland since he seems to feel snubbed. If he was smart, he would go to one of the asst. coaches and get the info he needs. He just wants to say he interviewed RM to pad his resume.

Back to the serious part of the thread - In years past SLU's coaches and program needed any and all pubs it could get. With RM as coach, the any pub is not the issue but goodproductive pub is. Bernie is the the guy at 1380 who as the connection with RM so it is not like RM is ignoring 1380. He simply is saying I have met by obligation to 1380 through Bernie. This is only an issue for Strickland since he seems to feel snubbed. If he was smart, he would go to one of the asst. coaches and get the info he needs. He just wants to say he interviewed RM to pad his resume.

I think we slightly disagree on this one. I can understand what you're saying though. I just hope this is not like what happend with Mark McGuire. He snubbed the local yokels for the national press and in turn the local yokels turned on him. Rick might not need the press but I don't think it can hurt SLU.

I think we slightly disagree on this one. I can understand what you're saying though. I just hope this is not like what happend with Mark McGuire. He snubbed the local yokels for the national press and in turn the local yokels turned on him. Rick might not need the press but I don't think it can hurt SLU.

I think RM wil be fine as long as he wins. If he doesn't, this will blow up on him. I think he know that too.

I don't think RM is ignoring the local media - he has contact with BM and I have heard him on 590 several times since his hiring. TT seems to get access to the program info he needs for the Post. While I do hear what you are saying my point is simply why does he have to talk to every media person who is not really normally handling the Bills? - is not his obligation to make sure that those who write about the Bills be in the loop? - that is where I think his time is best spent. Have you heard of any other media types who need to have access to RM being denied all the time?

I don't think RM is ignoring the local media - he has contact with BM and I have heard him on 590 several times since his hiring. TT seems to get access to the program info he needs for the Post. While I do hear what you are saying my point is simply why does he have to talk to every media person who is not really normally handling the Bills? - is not his obligation to make sure that those who write about the Bills be in the loop? - that is where I think his time is best spent. Have you heard of any other media types who need to have access to RM being denied all the time?

Maybe he just doesn't like the guy or has heard he's a hack. RM has been at this a long time and the media as a whole seems to like him. Having been on the media side of it himself, I'm sure he knows what he needs to do and what he doesn't have to do. It's ok to have a few enemies. Sometimes all that means is you're doing your job.

Maybe he just doesn't like the guy or has heard he's a hack. RM has been at this a long time and the media as a whole seems to like him. Having been on the media side of it himself, I'm sure he knows what he needs to do and what he doesn't have to do. It's ok to have a few enemies. Sometimes all that means is you're doing your job.

All who have read RM's book. Clarification please. What is RM's attitude toward the local media? Recall some (not all) local media in Utah who felt snubbed by RM in favor of the national media.

Personally, I agree with Cheese. RM has a lot on his plate. He did not cancel his national speaking tour this summer, he put together a decent schedule - much better than Brad would have done had he stayed - which had way too many holes in it for being the Spring - only months till the season started. On a side note, why Brad and Levick allowed the schedule to not be more complete I don't know. Remember how embarassing it was last year when we arranged the home and home series with Houston to simply fill dates. Am certain RM is already working on next year's schedule as well as those in the future. Sounds like he also has ideas about holiday/pre-season tournaments, jesuit school rivalries and even ideas about a new conference. Also have to believe RM has alot on his plate with the new arena, recruiting, etc.

With that said, even busy people can make room in their schedules. Don't think it is personal with Strickland. Rather, it seems that RM organizes all of his priorities and then takes them as he organized them. He does not appear to be a reactive person who will change his schedule based upon upon phone calls from a local media type.

All who have read RM's book. Clarification please. What is RM's attitude toward the local media? Recall some (not all) local media in Utah who felt snubbed by RM in favor of the national media.

Personally, I agree with Cheese. RM has a lot on his plate. He did not cancel his national speaking tour this summer, he put together a decent schedule - much better than Brad would have done had he stayed - which had way too many holes in it for being the Spring - only months till the season started. On a side note, why Brad and Levick allowed the schedule to not be more complete I don't know. Remember how embarassing it was last year when we arranged the home and home series with Houston to simply fill dates. Am certain RM is already working on next year's schedule as well as those in the future. Sounds like he also has ideas about holiday/pre-season tournaments, jesuit school rivalries and even ideas about a new conference. Also have to believe RM has alot on his plate with the new arena, recruiting, etc.

With that said, even busy people can make room in their schedules. Don't think it is personal with Strickland. Rather, it seems that RM organizes all of his priorities and then takes them as he organized them. He does not appear to be a reactive person who will change his schedule based upon upon phone calls from a local media type.

I did read the book - not sure he said much about local media all though he always seemed to have media types around him but they may have had a more national or regional bent. I only heard one guy from Salt Lake when the hiring of RM was in the works who complained about him - he said he was a great coach and knew how to schmooze the money and important people but that he would not be easy to access. Then I heard a guy from Salt Lake who only had great things to say about RM and the media so who knows - like so many things beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

in the book he did complain a little about the exposure of his Ute team. It seems in their market they play second fiddle to BYU, and since the local paper is run by Mormons that makes sense. Apparently the fan base and media is more BYU friendly in Salt lake.

I get the impression he knows hockey but some of the comments he spews out regarding baseball, football and everything else lead me to believe that he often speaks his opinion as fact. When he and Balzer were on 1380 for a few weeks, H would consistently correct him on football topics after he said something factually inaccurate. He is trying to hard for the shock value and to be a "personality" when he is better served being a beat reporter.

Just my two cents.

Maybe the reason AS can't get time with RM is that Rick is actually spending all his time during this active recruiting timeframe doing his job. See the post on the offer to the Wis. player, Averkamp.

By the way, thanks for all the non-St. Louis input on recruiting info. I especially appreciate the Wis newsletter that has kept us informed on KM, Averkamp and others. Obviously RM & his staff are very active recruiters with a fair number of 09 class offers already out there.