Coach Brad on KMOX last night......

Driving thru Kentucky toward St. Louis last night I picked up KMOX which had Coach Brad on between 8-9pm. Brad was evidently still on the bus trip home from Memphis. Very few calls, but Mike Grimm(?sp) did an excellent job of just talking college basketball with Brad.

Some points I found interesting:

Recruiting....has one SLU offer outstanding. Didn't define position. Still looking at PG, SF, PF players. His thoughts on how to use that last scholarship depends on their most recent shortcomings.

Coach is well aware of TL immediate grades but won't or cannot comment publicly.

Mentioned a possibly transfer coming to SLU.

Turnovers are killing him. More practice time spent in this area than any other part of the game.

He thinks the Bills are a good team, but to beat great teams they must eliminate some turnovers and shoot better.

Loves the conference C-USA. Great coaches, great players, great teams.

A Blake Ahearn fan called in and asked Brad if he missed on his evaluation of BA. Brad stated he watched Blake play a ton of times and thinks he will have a great career at SMS.

Perhaps someone else caught the show and can fill in some of the missing points.

From what I remembered, Brad DID NOT have an eye on a potential transfer. He just said that he might keep a scholarship open for a potential transfer IF he couldn't get his type of player with the open scholarship. He did say that he's leaning to using the open schollie for a PF to replace Chris Sloan.

As for Ahearn, he mentioned that he watched him plenty of times, but didn't think he was the right fit for his team. However, he did mention that he might later regret that decision in the future.

No one stated on this board that coach has contacted any transfers. He probably is aware of some players out there who might transfer, in whom he might have an interest.

This is how rule following schools do it. I don't know how other, large, state sponsored, NCAA investigated, underachieving, losing record schools approach this issue.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of John Duff

I heard the show and a couple of more comments were mentioning were that Brad keeps in touch with Romar on a regular basis and that Washington has won there last five games and are now 5 and 5 in the conference with a win over Washington St. I got the impression that he and Lorenzo had a very good relationship.

Regarding Ahearn, he was extremely tactful in what he said but my sense of what he said was that in the long term, he is not going to regret not offering that scholarship to Ahearn. Again, this is my intrepretation but he felt that Ahearn is an one dimensional player.

Concerning Liddell, he did not sound encouraged about his qualification status.

Finally, on the scholarship situation, he repeated what he has been saying consistently except for the revelation that he has an offer outstanding.

One more interesting comment concerned turnovers. A caller referenced a statement by Martz relating to fumbles. According to the caller, Martz did not dwell on turnovers by players in subsequent practices because players tend to become to conscious of them and they become sort of self-fulfilling. Grimm was dismissive about the comment but Soderberg gave it more credence and suggested he might have to give that line of thinking more attention.

i took that statement to mean that possibly he would seek a transfer. not any specific player, but a player that leaves a school and wants to transfer. there are probably hundreds of those opportunities every year. nothing illegal about thinking he might generically look for a transfer player.

one would think our missouri friends would be better at judging what is illegal and what is not by now. they have had enough practice.

the world expected slu to be a 500 team in the second season of a new regime and losing one of their best players ever from the previous season, missouri was supposed to win the national championship. that's the point. your team sucks with professional players.

>From what I remembered, Brad DID NOT have an eye on a

>potential transfer. He just said that he might keep a

>scholarship open for a potential transfer IF he couldn't get

>his type of player with the open scholarship. He did say

>that he's leaning to using the open schollie for a PF to

>replace Chris Sloan.

>

Listened to the show driving back from Chicago. When asked about the last scholarship and how he's approaching using it he said he had an offer out there to someone but also that he'd play things conservative as there is always the possibility of a transfer situation arising so that gave some incentive to not just offer the scholarship.

Forget getting a JUCO. With the new transfer rules most JUCO would not be eligible at SLU.

So far Mizzou has underachieved. It looks like Mizzou has a recruiter who can’t coach and SLU has a coach who can’t recruit. Either way you end up with a mediocre team. At this point it looks like Mizzous mediocre is better than SLU’s mediocre as the great and powerful RPI has Mizzou at 63 and SLU at 98.

It looks like the trend will continue into the future. Mizzou has 4 top 100 players arriving next year, quite a recruiting feat given the circumstances. SLU has two maybe three kids who didn’t land on any top 100 or top 150 lists. SLU even got out recruited by SIU.

I expect more of the same for several years to come. Until Snyder is fired or learns to coach. A big part of recruiting are personality traits that are tough to learn so I wouldn’t expect Brad to start landing top players any time soon. If Brad can’t land Lisch (who is not even a top 100 kid) after recruiting him for two years I doubt he will ever amount to much more than an above average game coach. He should have locked this kid down by now; instead Illinois, Indiana and other are getting in on the kid.

Anyway more of the same for many more years

Izik said close to the same thing in an article from the PD regarding the turnovers. I think it's a good point. Maybe the problem with this team is that our players are too smart. Instead of just playing and going with the flow, I think we may have a tendency to think too much. The more this turnover problem is drilled into them, the more they think about it. This causes hesitation in passing and shooting....which leads to blocks and turnovers. This team seems to do well when they are just playing and having some fun. Being in Nashville, i haven't gotten to watch too many games, but I can't remember ever seeing our players smile on the court. It just doesn't look they have a whole lot of fun out there and maybe that's part of the problem. I remember watching Carmello last year and it seemed he was always laughing and smiling about something....he went on to win a national championship. Obviously we don't have a Carmello and our team is a lot different, but I have to believe that the enjoyment he had on the court spread thoughout the team and helped win that trophy.

you know absolutely nothing about kevin lisch. the fact he isnt rated higher is simply because he refuses to play aau ball. proof of that is the fact he has held his own with the likes of shawn livingston and outplayed xaiver price. both top players.

as to why he hasnt committed yet, who knows. cant blame any kid for taking their time on their biggest decision of their life. the fact is though, slu is high on the selection chart. and we didnt even have to pay anyone.

Yeah, when I visited the guys on Gameday in Charlotte, most were pretty serious, tucked in their rooms, no fun, no laughter. I was told most of the guys prefer it that way, but Basketball should be "fun" first and "business" second, but in this day and age......Critics......school officials........NCAA......FANS...ETC. they want more. It's all about the "win", all about the ratings, the stats, no one wants the guys to enjoy the game. I guarantee u, if they saw the team laughing and enjoying the game....most would think their heart wasn't in it. But I agree, the guys need to relax and have fun out there. They're just putting more pressure on themselves already compiled with pressures from other entities.