Coach Rick at the MAC

Billikan

The event at the MAC today was well intended--almost 400 people. Frank C made a nice introduction and the coach was at the podium for quite a while. He introduced his assistants except for AT who was on the road recruitng. He was funny and rambled quite a bit on a variety of topics--some relating to Billikan basketball and some not.

He was talking like he was in a group of 4 or 5 guys and I think he realized too late that the talk was being videotaped. He asked that his more personal remarks not be repeated.

On the team, he is excited to be back in coaching and he is enjoying working with the guys but his time with them is very limited by rule. He was extremely positive about Lisch and Liddell and he said he loves those guys as well as Luke Meyer. He said that Polk has really be a positive force as a leader on the team. On the new guys he was generally positive but said they had a lot to learn. On Anthony, he already loves his heart and his defensive process. He said he might develop into a defensive stopper and that his athleticism and full court ability will be assets. On MR he seemed to think he had potential but it would need to be developed. He said he would probably play the 4 at times this year. He thinks that Luke is a very smart player who plays hard all the time. He likes Barry and suggested he may start--although he put in a huge disclaimer to the effect that he really has no idea who will start and will not until they start full practice and he can evaluate them in a competitive enviroment. Bryce and AK have had health issues.

He said the staff is hard at the recruiting and may add one or two players to this years recruiting class or we may go with those who are already committed. Clearly, he and the whole staff are busting it on the recruiting front. He said he expected to name his final assistant on October 1 but he did not say who it might be.

When asked about the A10 he was at times politic and at times somewhat skeptical because all of the teams except for the Bills are in the Eastern time zone. He was clearly reluctant to talk about the subject although he did say that the conference contract will prevent us from getting more games on ESPN.

On person pushed him really hard on his health and he just said that he feels good but there are no guarantees in life. He is excercising and trying to watch what he eats. I personally thought the question was pretty obnoxious. Obviously, his health is a private matter and for this guy to press it in a forum of 400 people was pretty ridiculous. But Coach handled it well.

On scheduling he said he will play anyone anytime and he mentioned the scrimmage with Memphis. He was with Phil Knight from Nike recently and he is planning a new preseason quality event in Oregon in 09 or 10 and Rick hopes to be included in an 8 team field that will have other elite teams like Duke. He is interested in playing in the Maui event as well.

He said a lot more in sort of a rambling fashion but the bottom line is that he says we will be a hard working team that will be fun to watch. I can't wait!

The event at the MAC today was well intended--almost 400 people. Frank C made a nice introduction and the coach was at the podium for quite a while. He introduced his assistants except for AT who was on the road recruitng. He was funny and rambled quite a bit on a variety of topics--some relating to Billikan basketball and some not.

He was talking like he was in a group of 4 or 5 guys and I think he realized too late that the talk was being videotaped. He asked that his more personal remarks not be repeated.

On the team, he is excited to be back in coaching and he is enjoying working with the guys but his time with them is very limited by rule. He was extremely positive about Lisch and Liddell and he said he loves those guys as well as Luke Meyer. He said that Polk has really be a positive force as a leader on the team. On the new guys he was generally positive but said they had a lot to learn. On Anthony, he already loves his heart and his defensive process. He said he might develop into a defensive stopper and that his athleticism and full court ability will be assets. On MR he seemed to think he had potential but it would need to be developed. He said he would probably play the 4 at times this year. He thinks that Luke is a very smart player who plays hard all the time. He likes Barry and suggested he may start--although he put in a huge disclaimer to the effect that he really has no idea who will start and will not until they start full practice and he can evaluate them in a competitive enviroment. Bryce and AK have had health issues.

He said the staff is hard at the recruiting and may add one or two players to this years recruiting class or we may go with those who are already committed. Clearly, he and the whole staff are busting it on the recruiting front. He said he expected to name his final assistant on October 1 but he did not say who it might be.

When asked about the A10 he was at times politic and at times somewhat skeptical because all of the teams except for the Bills are in the Eastern time zone. He was clearly reluctant to talk about the subject although he did say that the conference contract will prevent us from getting more games on ESPN.

On person pushed him really hard on his health and he just said that he feels good but there are no guarantees in life. He is excercising and trying to watch what he eats. I personally thought the question was pretty obnoxious. Obviously, his health is a private matter and for this guy to press it in a forum of 400 people was pretty ridiculous. But Coach handled it well.

On scheduling he said he will play anyone anytime and he mentioned the scrimmage with Memphis. He was with Phil Knight from Nike recently and he is planning a new preseason quality event in Oregon in 09 or 10 and Rick hopes to be included in an 8 team field that will have other elite teams like Duke. He is interested in playing in the Maui event as well.

He said a lot more in sort of a rambling fashion but the bottom line is that he says we will be a hard working team that will be fun to watch. I can't wait!

Thank you for the summary.

when asked about what changes he asked for in the arena, he mentioned that most of what he added were very small details. for example he said that when ohio state built their arena and training center, they didnt realize that the ceilings were too low for the bigs to do standing overhead presses. so he pointed out to the builders that the weight room needs to have a high ceiling.

little stuff like that are difference makers that probably a lot of people would never think of until it was too late.

there is a reason this guy wins. details.

when asked about what changes he asked for in the arena, he mentioned that most of what he added were very small details. for example he said that when ohio state built their arena and training center, they didnt realize that the ceilings were too low for the bigs to do standing overhead presses. so he pointed out to the builders that the weight room needs to have a high ceiling.

little stuff like that are difference makers that probably a lot of people would never think of until it was too late.

there is a reason this guy wins. details.

You guys are in for a fun ride. I have always been a big admirer of Coach Majerus. I hope that he and Coach Anderson at MU will start an annual MU-SLU home and home series in the near future, as I think both programs are in for a great ride over the next several years with these two guys recruiting for and coaching their respective teams. I usually attend one or two SLU games per year, but I see myself going to 6 or 7 this year with Rickma at the helm.