pickup

Watched pickup today - started at 4:30. First time I saw Relphorde and Eberhard - both showed a lot of athleticism and played inside out - hard to the basket or pop a three. Mitchell again looked like the energizer bunny - very quick and non stop energy. His shot looked better than the first time I saw him. Bryce, as expected, is a little slow on the pace, but defended the paint well and shot very well. If he's open, he's going to get those 10 footers. Nobody on this team, anyway, has a chance to block them. Adam wasn't there and Danny is still nurturing the knee, but showed up. Luke seems to have extended his range a foot because he was draining threes with the same stroke he uses in his midrange game. Dustin looked comfortable and shot well, many of them midrange. He has a quick release. TL, Kevin and Polk were as expected. Polk's shot looked good; too soon to make any assumptions. Eckerle looked a lot better than the time I watched him at the rec center - made some very nice feeds in traffic and his shot was there. 5/5 - no substitutions.

Watched pickup today - started at 4:30. First time I saw Relphorde and Eberhard - both showed a lot of athleticism and played inside out - hard to the basket or pop a three. Mitchell again looked like the energizer bunny - very quick and non stop energy. His shot looked better than the first time I saw him. Bryce, as expected, is a little slow on the pace, but defended the paint well and shot very well. If he's open, he's going to get those 10 footers. Nobody on this team, anyway, has a chance to block them. Adam wasn't there and Danny is still nurturing the knee, but showed up. Luke seems to have extended his range a foot because he was draining threes with the same stroke he uses in his midrange game. Dustin looked comfortable and shot well, many of them midrange. He has a quick release. TL, Kevin and Polk were as expected. Polk's shot looked good; too soon to make any assumptions. Eckerle looked a lot better than the time I watched him at the rec center - made some very nice feeds in traffic and his shot was there. 5/5 - no substitutions.

Thanks for the report Unca. Disappointing that Adam wasn't there as I'd like to hear how he's looking. But that encouraging to hear about Dustin. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable inside the arc, he can extend that range and regain his 3pt shot.

Has Bryce raised his release point? He always looked like he could hit his shot, but I always thought his release point was too low to get it off unless he was wide open.

many times last year bryce's defender did not follow him away from the lane and thus he was wide open. all he has to do is hit a few of those and then that defender will follow and now you got back door opportunities galore. not sure how good of a passer bryce is to finish that scenario, but that imo is the more relavent question than his release point.

Has Bryce raised his release point? He always looked like he could hit his shot, but I always thought his release point was too low to get it off unless he was wide open.

I thought one of his positives was that he releases his short jumper very high. Have you ever seen him get a jump shot blocked? Sometimes inside he had a tendancy to bring the ball down and had trouble powering back up with it, but his release on his jump shot is good.

I thought one of his positives was that he releases his short jumper very high. Have you ever seen him get a jump shot blocked? Sometimes inside he had a tendancy to bring the ball down and had trouble powering back up with it, but his release on his jump shot is good.

if i had to pick out aspects of bryce's game to work on, raising a release point wouldnt be the top thing to work on. i want to see bryce develop more attitude rebounding and defending. with his unbelieveable wingspan, add to that more aggression and imo bryce isnt far from being an nba player. i know that sounds far fetched, but the fact that bryce is very very tall, gets the attention of nba scouts very quickly. if they see a take no prisoner attitude on defense and under the boards, bryce becomes a credible next level candidate imo. that all said, he is no where close to that right now.

if i had to pick out aspects of bryce's game to work on, raising a release point wouldnt be the top thing to work on. i want to see bryce develop more attitude rebounding and defending. with his unbelieveable wingspan, add to that more aggression and imo bryce isnt far from being an nba player. i know that sounds far fetched, but the fact that bryce is very very tall, gets the attention of nba scouts very quickly. if they see a take no prisoner attitude on defense and under the boards, bryce becomes a credible next level candidate imo. that all said, he is no where close to that right now.

Roy, as you know I am a big BH fan and I agree with you. Bryce is a hell of a lot closer to being a NBA player than most fans realize. The big thing for him imo is his conditioning. If he is in really good shape this year, I think every thing else falls into place.

Skip is correct imo. Bryce's problem is bringing the ball down when he is in the paint. I really have no problem with his release point.

Roy, as you know I am a big BH fan and I agree with you. Bryce is a hell of a lot closer to being a NBA player than most fans realize. The big thing for him imo is his conditioning. If he is in really good shape this year, I think every thing else falls into place.

Skip is correct imo. Bryce's problem is bringing the ball down when he is in the paint. I really have no problem with his release point.

and that is where i am going with attitude. hey he wants to bring it down to be able to assist with powering back up, fine. get in the gym and develop the guns that let's you do that without some 6'2" guard taking it away from you.

I like Bryce, but I think it is a little crazy to use Bryce and NBA in the same sentence. If he has not been able to earn consistent minutes at SLU playing in the A-10, there is no reason to even go there. If he shows dramatic improvement and is a big contributor, then maybe some pro scouts will take a look, but not the NBA. I have a lot of respect for Bryce because he has not done much on the court, but he has stuck with it and is going into his fifth year as the starting center and is taking MBA classes. He will be successful, just not in the NBA.

I like Bryce, but I think it is a little crazy to use Bryce and NBA in the same sentence. If he has not been able to earn consistent minutes at SLU playing in the A-10, there is no reason to even go there. If he shows dramatic improvement and is a big contributor, then maybe some pro scouts will take a look, but not the NBA. I have a lot of respect for Bryce because he has not done much on the court, but he has stuck with it and is going into his fifth year as the starting center and is taking MBA classes. He will be successful, just not in the NBA.

I wasn't trying to say that BH will be in the NBA, but it is a lot closer than many people think. If he shows up in good shape this year he will end up getting workouts from NBA teams. I do not think he will end up making an NBA roster.

I wasn't trying to say that BH will be in the NBA, but it is a lot closer than many people think. If he shows up in good shape this year he will end up getting workouts from NBA teams. I do not think he will end up making an NBA roster.

OMFG. :lol:

brianstl ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week doing shows at 8 and 10, the 10pm show is adults only. Thanks for coming and make sure to tip your waitresses.

i dont think brian nor i said that bryce will be a lottery pick or even get picked in the draft. and i think i even qualified at the end of my post that he wasnt at that level currently.

all i was saying is the fact he is indeed that big makes him a candidate if he can improve on other aspects that are indeed not necessarily god given aspects.

however a point guard, that isnt necessarily the case. a point guard cant just make himself an nba player as easily as a 7+ footer can.

the best example is jim mcillvane who was a center at marquette in the 90's. there is a guy that was nothing more than a 7 foot stiff when he first got to milwaukee. but by the time he left he was legit nba player and most of that improvement was the result of off court hard work getting himself strong and maxing out his coordination skills and just developing the confidence and attitude to become the man in the middle. now it may indeed be too late for bryce, but if it is, it isnt because he didnt have the needed tools available to make himself into an nba player.

OMFG. :lol:

brianstl ladies and gentlemen. He'll be here all week doing shows at 8 and 10, the 10pm show is adults only. Thanks for coming and make sure to tip your waitresses.

metz in the house.

i dont think brian nor i said that bryce will be a lottery pick or even get picked in the draft. and i think i even qualified at the end of my post that he wasnt at that level currently.

all i was saying is the fact he is indeed that big makes him a candidate if he can improve on other aspects that are indeed not necessarily god given aspects.

however a point guard, that isnt necessarily the case. a point guard cant just make himself an nba player as easily as a 7+ footer can.

There's always been the Bryce division on this board. Metz and his merry men think Bryce can't chew gum and walk at the same time. The other side (which I'm a part of) think Bryce can be a solid center. He is over 7 feet. He can shoot very well for his size. He has great moves around the hoop (like that nice little hook he has). He's been blocking shots for the past 3 years. His weaknesses are this strength, his speed, and his coordination. All of those can be worked on.

The great thing is that Bryce will be a starter from day 1 this year. We will have answers to this 4 year arguement...FINALLY. If Chris Dudley or that Schenser kid from GT can earn an roster spot, Bryce has a shot.

While I am certainly aware of the old basketball saying that you can't teach height, I have also come aware that you can't teach natural talent or ability and athleticism.

I feel like Brian and Roy have the same opinion as me, but saying it in a much nicer and flattering way. I reread Brian and Roy's posts and see the ifs.

Out of curiousity, what kind of numers to expect to see from Bryce? I personally don't even know what to predict with this kid ever and now that he is going to be relied upon to give us a lot of minutes I even have more trouble.

When he's near the bucket, he's wide open if his hands are above his head; his release is pretty quick close to the hoop. If he's shooting a 3, you're right; he starts from a little lower. I suspect Majerus will encourage him to shoot, thus making his defender follow him out of the paint.

Don't get too far ahead of yourself - no where did I see or hear Rick M say Bryce would be the starting center or even in the starting line up. Not saying he won't be but until it happens don't make that assumption. He has done little to show that that will happen by any certainty.

While I am certainly aware of the old basketball saying that you can't teach height, I have also come aware that you can't teach natural talent or ability and athleticism.

I feel like Brian and Roy have the same opinion as me, but saying it in a much nicer and flattering way. I reread Brian and Roy's posts and see the ifs.

Out of curiousity, what kind of numers to expect to see from Bryce? I personally don't even know what to predict with this kid ever and now that he is going to be relied upon to give us a lot of minutes I even have more trouble.

My expectation for Bryce is 12pts and 7 boards per game. This is about what a non-impressive Ian did last year. Anything less and I will be disappointed. Anything more and he may actually get a few looks from the scouts.