What grade would you give the '08 class that has verbally committed?

Even with your correction, by your limitations, very few of the top recruits who go to Duke, North Carolina, or any other top school would qualify as A recruits. How many of those top recruits score 20 points a game or get 10 rebounds a game. Your rating system is totally unrealistic.

The critical need in the first class is to solidify and improve our position in the A10.

The second class must allow us the annual opportunity to compete/win the conference, and make the big dance in most years.

The third class needs to provide a star and get us into the top twenty, IF we think RM is a great coach with a solid recruiting staff. This is the pattern that RM has created in previous slots, and at $1M+ large, it should be an expectation when he is in St. Louis, a significant hub city for the region.

I have a large concern that RM may not have a long term tenure at SLU, and I don't see Porter as a good bench coach or program builder to follow him. I was hoping Biondi would have coughed up another hundred grand and stolen Cuonzo Martin away from Painter at Purdue, but it didn't happen.

It will be an interesting season, and hopefully a fun one to watch!

sheltie, i have long wondered about your admiration of martin. i agree he might be a good recruiter, but what makes you think he has head coaching ability? as far as i know, he hasnt been a head coach a single game in his life.

I was talking about having a recruit that can come in and immediately average 20+ points would make your recruiting class an A, not each and every recruit. If you have a recruit that can come in and average 15 plus points a game then you have a B Class, but if the recruits that you bring in cannot give you those immediate stats then you have a class that would rank as a C. That is not to say that a C class is bad, because they may grow into those numbers as time goes on and they get better. But for immediate help that is how I would rank the classes.

>The critical need in the first class is to solidify and

>improve our position in the A10.

>

>The second class must allow us the annual opportunity to

>compete/win the conference, and make the big dance in most

>years.

>

>The third class needs to provide a star and get us into the

>top twenty, IF we think RM is a great coach with a solid

>recruiting staff. This is the pattern that RM has created in

>previous slots, and at $1M+ large, it should be an

>expectation when he is in St. Louis, a significant hub city

>for the region.

>

>I have a large concern that RM may not have a long term

>tenure at SLU, and I don't see Porter as a good bench coach

>or program builder to follow him. I was hoping Biondi would

>have coughed up another hundred grand and stolen Cuonzo

>Martin away from Painter at Purdue, but it didn't happen.

>

>It will be an interesting season, and hopefully a fun one to

>watch!

I thought the goal was to be a top 50 program. I say do that, before there is ever any talk of being top 20. There are many bigger programs with much bigger history and much better talent and equal coaching that arent even in the top 20.

That would leave how many classes in the country as A's? How mnay freshman come in and score 20ppg? Vry, very, very few. What you are also saying is if we added Tommie to this class it still wouldn't be an A. Your standards are beyond tough. You have to have a kid hit for 15 and 8 to earn a B. There aren't 10 freshman in the country that do that. So actually all but about 10-20 classes are C's or worse using your rating system.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Some, especially Mizzery fans, think RM's tenure at SLU will be shortlived. I don't see it, albeit the health issue is always there. He's 60 for cripes sake. He didn't have to come back to coaching to legitimize his legacy in college hoops. He's in the perfect environment. No big boosters screaming for his attention and time. No fan or alumni base hollering for NCAA championships and a return to past glories. No pressure to get in the gutter and recruit top 25 players. Just a nice comfortable mid major where he is king of all he surveys. And being paid a Major college salary. Given his health holds out, he fulfills his term or at least 4 years of it. Prosser gets 4 years under him, and voila his bench and practice coaching improve unless he's a simpleton who can't learn. I see us being in good hands for the immediate and long term. Let him get this ball rolling. Remember success has a tendency to feed off success.

VTime, if we can't hit the top 20 with RM, his handpicked staff, and a multimillion dollar BBall budget, with an outstanding upcoming class, then we never will, and we should scale back our expectations. RM did the top 20 at Utah, and that production is exactly why Biondi brought him in, forking over the big $$$ to do such.

Roy, as far as Cuonzo, I have met him half a dozen times, and always have been thoroughly impressed with his values, vision, and drive. Keady always tried to grab the blue collar guys, and Martin has that work ethic in spades. He also will not stray across the line into violation land. He was a hard nosed player with skill, he came from the hood, and he can operate with comfort across every social strata.

He is a very good bball instructor. A few years ago he had a shooting clinic in Peoria around the Macker Hoop-it-up, and Justin Dehm and Matt Roth both came out with a better grasp of shooting mechanics from Martin's clinic.

He can ramp the pressure up, and back it down as good as anyone I have seen. There are some innate talents that the real good coaches have to facilitate a winning atmosphere, with the most significant ones being charisma and trust. These are a few of the many reasons Cuonzo is being viewed as one of the rising young lions in coaching, and why Porter was fired from Illinois State.

You do not need top 20 recruiting classes to be a top 50 program. If you can score in the top 100 you will be more than adequately outfitted to be a top 50 program yearly. You also have to remember that when they rank a recruiting class they give extra nods to the number of recruits signed. So if you recruit 2 players because that is all you have to give even though those players are very good, you will not be ranked all that high compared to those who recruited 6 players. Expecting freshmen to avg. 15 pts and 8-10 rebounds a game is simply unrealistic. A good freshman is one who plays 20 minutes a game and scores in double figures or rebounds in double figures or close to it not both. As far as all this talk about Rick's health issues - that is all water under the bridge. I am sure SLU had him checked out medically and feel good about his chances to fulfill his 6 year contract. He will be watched very closely by the medical staff at SLU. He can easily stay fit enough if he delegates that which does not require him to do. As far as Porter Mosser becoming head coach - if Rick does well I expect to be able to get a higher profile coach. Besides, who says that Porter stays all 6 years - he might leave in 3 for another head coaching job.

If Hansbrough would have signed with the Bills, he would have been a 20+ point a night scorer, and would have pulled down 10+ rebounds. The way I look at rating a class is if you sign someone capable of scoring. Then to me that class would have been an A class becuase you have someone capable of stepping in and getting those numbers. When you sign people that are capable of coming in and Scoring 15+ points a night. then you have a a B class. The North Carolina's of the world can have an A class not because the people they bring in score 20+ points a night, but they have the capabilites of doing it in their first year. Damn guys I am not saying we signed a bad class, I expect most of them to come in and play a role this year, I just didn't see them coming in and scoring and rebounding a ton in their freshman year. By the way I thought the Tommie and Kevin Class would have been a B+ Class,

i dont think Majerus stays the entire contract, but no because of health, but because he has a capable guy in Moser who could take over for him and Moser already knows the area and has recruited it very well (Lorenzo Gordon, Bobby Hill, Travis Wallace, Anthony Mitchell, and the current 08 recruits. He loves this area's talent and think he would love to have this job.