New Arena and Scheduling

slu72

The rebirth post below got me to thinking about scheduling biggies into ST.Louis in the future. Now assume RM get's this thing going like Utah, are there any big time majors, Duke, UNC, KY, etc that are going to be thrilled about coming into The Fetz or The Chai to play us. Pdiddy said over the past 5 or 6 years we've enjoyed seeing AZ, KU, UNC, Zaga et al, but they played at Scott Trade in front of 17K plus...big payday made it worth their while. Now at the new arena it's going to be considerably smaller and they could be up against hopefully one of the best mid major programs in the country. We won't be an easy W. To attract these type of non con foes, which we must for RPI purposes, will these games have to be scheduled at Scott Trade or will the bigs come to the friendly, and hopefully hellish for them, confines of the new building?

Good idea. I think both those games bought in 30k plus if I'm not mistaken. I don't think the AD would mind missing a game at the Chai for an extra 10-15k in seat revenue say if we bought in Duke. But my original point was, it's going to make it a harder sell to the bigs to come to STL to a smaller venue with no apparent guarantee of a W.

i would be surprised if we shared receipts AZ and Gonz, these were home and home series, we get our gate and they get theirs. i would not build an $80mil building and then go trying to schedule games in another facility in town, makes no sense to me.

i would hope we land all the big time 2008 recruits, but barring that where some of them go perhaps we can schedule those schools.

i have also thought about who we play to open the new bldg - do we want a "sure" winner - a huge marquee program like a duke, unc, ky - a local school mosu, siu - another jesuit school gtwn, bc. any thoughts??

thats a good question who to open with. I'd love to see the Illini or Mizzou. If not I'd rather see a different big name school. The place should be rocking, we will get a win in that first game.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I would love to see MU or the Illini, but I don't see that happening. I think a catholic school we have haven't played in awhile would be great. A BC, Georgetown, or a Villanova would be perfect and a easy game to place on national TV.

>Pecking order of who would help christen the Fetz...

>

>1) Marquette - old rival and Majerus connection

>2) Georgetown/BC - big name Jesuit connection in an A-10

>city

>3) Univ of Washington - Romar connection

>4) Kentucky/Duke/UNC/UCLA/UF - the crown jewels of college

>bball

FYI, MU never played Utah or Ball State when RM was coach. Utah did play Cardinal Stritch (D-3) and UWM (in Milwaukee), though. I can't imagine that MU would play at SLU, simply because MU is only going to play 1-2 road non-conference games a year, since the BE is going to 18 games next year. Plus, MU plays at Wisconsin every other year and has a 4 for 1 with UWM. That really limits their options. The same is probably true for Georgetown. 18 conference games at a non-football school really limits their options.

I would doubt Romar (or anyone) would be interested in coming back to their old school. The crown jewels are a possiblity, but they usually don't play road games, except at other crown jewels or in one of their players hometowns. Maybe a second tier program like Wake, Illinois, etc. Rick is friends with Bobby Knight, so maybe Texas Tech is a possibility.

When Xavier opened the Cintas Center we played Miami of Ohio (they're a rival).

In my experience in the A-10, the elite programs have a hard time getting the bigger conference teams to play true home and homes. Off the top of my head only Purdue, ASU, and perhaps Wisconsin have played a true home and home with Xavier at Cintas. When Illinois came to Cincy they played at an off-campus site.

That said, I hope SLU can get some true home and home's with the bigger programs. It will definitely help with the Conference RPI and help SLU's tournament resume.

EDIT*** just read some other posts about the teams you guys have had come into St. Louis in the past. Were those played on your home floor? or at a neutral site? If on your home floor, that's impressive!