KFNS Saying Majerus wants the job

slu72

Rammer and Cusamano (I think it's him), but Cusamano is saying right now that Biondi's spoke to him twice, Majerus has looked at tapes, and Majerus really wants the job. Good listening right now. He says Chayfetz is trying to buy an NBA team. Dick Versace is somehow involved. Chayfetz and Majerus just couldn't schedule a meeting.

First, Cusuamano and Rammer are being good journalists or risky ones. They are setting the bar very high for SLU.

Second, even if RM wants the job, you can't just hire him. First there have to be negotiations. Also, he should meet the players first. Come to the campus, etc. While signing now means certainty, but there are other individuals involved. Particularly the current players. You must make them feel involved.

if you think its b.s. then blame Cusumano. All SLU72 did was report what Frank said. In fact, give Frank a call and tell him what you just posted here. Hopefully you'll give a little more detail on why you don't believe Cusumano then this post.

Larry, I find that interesting that Dick Versace is involved.

Back in the 71-72 season he was the freshman coach here at SLU. You maybe remember him. They brought him in from Gordon Tech, Chicago, and he came with some top prospects. On paper it was a good move by Polk.

I had a friend that was walk-on that played on that freshman team so I used to get to the Old Kiel early to catch a lot of the freshman games. The guy had a mouth like a longshoreman. Since the Kiel was not very full during those games, everyone in the building heard him. Needless to say, the old alums went nuts and Dick was gone at the end of the season. Also those prospects left with him. Upon leaving he gave SLU a verbal Italian salute, which was kind of funny.

Versace as you know had a lot success later at Bradley and I believe the Indiana Pacers.

I would be PISSED if this is true and the Uni (Biondi) cheaps out on their end. I say give Majerus just about whatever he wants for a few years and ride the snake. I haven't heard, nor would I expect to hear from anyone that fans/boosters are hesitant to pay the big bucks for Majerus.

Even Soderberg would be hard-pressed to refute the merits of this move, aside from his getting $h!t on in the process, of course.

I gotta think if he visits soon to meet the players there will be a lot of dried, googly eyes. I could even see Majerus getting on the phone w/ the remaining potential recruits all at once and just saying, "Last one's a rotten egg, go!" and kicking back and waiting.

Hoping for some good news...

Was this in the recent past (i.e. last couple of days) or was this something more distant? I picked up the show around the time that Frank was talking about how RM liked KL and TL. If Frank has talked to RM lately, one would have to believe that he has solid information.

Somebody from the U must be feeding Cusuamano and Rammer information. I don't they would just make this up. Whether it is true or not coming from the U is another story.

What is funny is they are probably keeping the Post reporters totally in the dark.

Heel, I'd forgot about Versace being Frosh coach. I remember that slug of Chicago recruits though. I think the frosh went undefeated and trounced Mizzery frosh at the Kiel. Two players I remember from that squad were a guard, Nance, who was a really slick ballhandler and a big forward from Toledo, Oh, his name is lost somewhere in the data bank, but he was a horse. I played against him a couple of times in pickup ball at WP. I remember being on a break and this guy came out of nowhere. The ball ended up about ten rows into the seats. He just grinned and said "Man, that felt good."

"The university countered that a Majerus-Chaifetz meeting never existed in the first place and that Chaifetz has nothing to do with a search for a new coach or, for that matter, the firing of Soderberg. "I don't know how categorical I can be,'' SLU spokesman Jeff Fowler said. "Absolutely, categorically not. There has been no involvement from Dr. Chaifetz." Majerus did not return a phone call from the Post-Dispatch."

Let's start there.

Then lets use common sense.

1. He has been out of coaching since 2004 even though he has had many opportunities with better money, facilities and prestige.

2. Coaches do not review game tapes before deciding to take a job. Do you expect him to say, "The returning players aren't good enough so I don't want the job!" Any coach worth his salt would feel he could recruit a tournament team. They don't expect to inherit on from a terminated coach.

3. He didn't get healthy overnight and neither did his mother.

4. If he were interested which he is not, SLU would never pony up the resources to pay him or the budget he would need to build the program.

5. He gets a kick out of having his name bantered around for every position that comes open.

Every coach reviews tape of the a team he is considering taking over. They want to know what they are walking into talent wise.

His health is the best it has been in years. But, you are right, his mother health is not.

It would not be SLU ponying up the money. It would be a booster/boosters.

Okay, maybe this is just me (very well could be), everyone uses the word speculation. But is Frank responding to this Board somewhat. I at least know in my Account of what has happened I say the media is speculating....Frank just seems to be using the same word a lot.

Hi Frank?