Peterson to Iowa

It was a foregone conclusion. Everyone knew Alexander and Peterson--the only two impact players available--weren't going to committ to SLU. That is why the timing of the decision isn't as bad as everyone is stating. With the exception of Griskenas(sp?), who had his chance to committ two weeks ago, all of the other recruits with offers from SLU were role players, not impact players. Brad lost this job when he went 0-6 on recruits last fall.

I wouldn't quite say they were not necessarily going to committ. They held out this long. With Alexander, it was down to us and the Illini. He had dropped Tennessee from his list. Brad may have had his power forward finally.

Peterson went on record repeatedly saying he was waiting to see if the new Iowa coach would still offer him a job.

It was being reported Monday night that Alexander was signing with Illinois.

These are facts, not fiction.

Alexander committed to Illinois BEFORE brad was fired and Peterson said many times he was ging to Iowa if they offered...which they did. Brad's firing had nothing to do with either of those players going elsewhere.

I honestly thought Alexander still had not committed as of before the firing. I will believe you and David, but I don't think I saw (or just missed it in the swarm of yesterday) something saying that he committed before 9am yesterday.

Alexander notified the Illini on Monday night. Brad was not notified until Tuesday morning.

http://www.news-gazette.com/blogs/basketbl...lands_alexander

SATRAP, nobody is saying Biondi was following Alexander's recruiting. What Nark and I are saying is we don't want any revisionist history stating that Brad would have landed the mother load of Spring recruits when every FACT is that these guys were going elsewhere regardless.

I wan't suggesting that Biondi or any of the powers-to-be based any decisions on this board or the Internet. I was merely pointing out that before Brad was fired it was apparent that he wasn't going to sign his top point guard or forward targets this spring.

We probably would have signed at least one of those guys, but these guys were not difference-makers. Each was likely to fall into the Adam Knollmeyer/Horace Dixon mold. Griskenas was probably the best hope for an impact player, but he was probably a 3/4 tweener at the D1 level. He sounded a little like Izik.

>

>SATRAP, nobody is saying Biondi was following Alexander's

>recruiting. What Nark and I are saying is we don't want any

>revisionist history stating that Brad would have landed the

>mother load of Spring recruits when every FACT is that these

>guys were going elsewhere regardless.

I agree with the above. I hate the theories that speculate that Bard was fired before he could land those guys. I just think it's patently ludicrous to give up on a recruiting class with time left in the signing period. It doesn't make sense to think that a couple of other recruits couldn't have at least provided depth for next year. I don't get it at all.

Nark, I like your style even though I despise this firing and loved Brad. But seriously, how many guys in the spring signing period are difference makers anyway? We would love a difference maker, or many of them, no doubt, but it would have been great to have gotten a couple of guys to at least provide some decent minutes against the non-difference makers that URI or Temple puts on the court. Guys who are good but not very good or great. That's what we needed desperately and I think we would have gotten one.

I would agree that Biondi probably does not read the board but I do think he knew that Brad's recruiting woes were continuing and recognized that the sooner he got a different coach the sooner something might be salvaged for the fall. I really do think that the University might not let the two players that signed already out of their letters. They can hold them to the letters and hope the new coach can win them over eventually. Generally that is what happens anyway.

There are many JUCO kids in the spring period who can and will be difference makers. Harris, Eberhardt, Alexander all fall in that category. Do you think Alford would have recruited Harris to New Mexico if he didn't think he would be a difference maker? Or Alexander to Illinois if he couldn't contribute positive minutes right away?