The Brad Soderberg Appreciation Thread

I've never seen another team take the last minute loses his teams did and keep bouncing back game after game where I thought they were definetly going to fold. There were alot of ups and downs but one thing about his teams was that they always played hard. Wish the defense had been as good in his 5th season as it was the first 4 years.

I covered SLU men's basketball for three years during my time at SLU. During that time I had the privelage of sitting in on many of his post-game press conferences, as well as conducting a couple of individual interviews, most of which were face-to-face, though on one occasion he had his secretary give me his cell phone number so that I could reach him since he had left the office a little earlier that day.

Brad was the coach of SLU during my four years there, so I will always have that link to him. His teams had some very exciting moments, such as beating #2 Louisville, their winning streak that began with the Louisville win, beating Iowa in the NIT, and beating Missouri State at the buzzer this year, just to name a few.

Thanks to Brad for everything. I always thought that no matter how the team was doing, he was a great man.

I came away from the banquet on Sunday with a good feeling about Brad. He is a flawed human being just like every one of us. He has his strengths and weaknesses but he has his priorities right. He is an excellent family man and a coach who insists that his players be students and graduate.

As a coach, he was intense and that was his biggest asset and at times his biggest liability but he was continually working to get better. I was amazed at how resilient he and his team were this year. After those two tough losses many teams would have folded like a tent but this team hung tough and won a bunch of tough games.

Brad is a straight talker and I liked that also. He is a man of faith and always seemed to be a fine representative of the University even though he was not the most vibrant, effusive personality.

I will always wonder what happened today. I do not buy the story of the booster. I think that is totally made up out of whole cloth. the timing is weird and the way it was handled by the university, with the two press releases indicates to me that this firing was a knee jerk reaction to something and it was not planned for a long time.

I wish Brad and his family the best and I pray that they are happy and healthy as they move forward with their lives.

Did you not notice the word appreciation in the title to this thread. People have been knocking Brad all year. He has been fired. Can we have at least one positive thread without calling him gutless or anything else. You have no idea what the situations were regarding those interviews, only your negative speculation.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

It sure was an interesting coincidence that the two times he didn't show up were both after very difficult losses.

He's a guy who got paid good money and did a mediocre job. Sorry if I'm not going to throw a parade.

I've said repeatedly he seems like a pretty decent, hard-working guy, but his recruiting failures last year were the beginning of the end.

I think he was about as good as it gets for SLU.

Brad had integrity, dignity, sportsmanship, class and worked hard, thrived on the game. Did very well with the cards he was dealt.

Again, who can recruit an OUT OF THE METRO AREA player to come here when they can go to a legit BCS conference? Unless a miracle happens, we will say the same about Brad's successor. Romar gets McDonald All Americans now, who did he get while at SLU?

Occasionally, we can get a good local player to stay here, that is it. Things will get a little better with the new facility.

I was disappointed a few times that SLU didn't adjust at all (GW game, etc) but who knows? Was it him or did the kids just not execute?

I am not saying he is great, just that he is as good as we're going to get in the long run. And we had some continuity, this is a disruption, if AD and Biondi do not have a STRONG immediate replacement then they are incompetent fools.

If Lisch wasn't out a few games and hadn't played several other games with a bad hand....

....we would have beaten the Bonnies. St. Joe's varsity squad could beat the Bonnies. SLU was horribly coached, zero movement on their motion offense, inconsistent on their defense, and do I even need to mention his recruiting and judge of talent?

SLU will get a great coach and you all will laugh, looking back, that we ever had Soderberg in the first place.

Like you Billikan I don't buy the booster smoke screen. I've been around this program for a long time and I don't think we have the kind of booster who could get a coach fired. To my knowledge there are no Bill Lauries associated with our program. I don't think the Kim Tucci's of St. Louis U would be out to get rid of a coach. My take is that Cheryl/Biondi felt Brad was not going to get it done and decided to cut bait. I only hope they have someone better lined up.