Mitchell and Relaphorde

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good example.

skip has said on many occasions that so many folks are hung up on slotting players based on physical dimensions. and i have been guilty of the same many times. one just never knows.

>I don't have an agenda here.

>

>I was trying to give my honest opinion of what I've seen

>from the kid.

>

>I saw him play a couple times and I wasn't impressed. I was

>more impressed with the potential of Brandon Harold and

>Darian Sain.

>

>Frank C is going to try to make the guy look like the next

>Dwayne Wade.

>

>I like Mitchell's athleticism and toughness. I covered East

>Side's game at Edwardsville when Mitchell dunked over Joe

>Allaria in the open court. That was one of the best dunks I

>saw all year — maybe the best.

>

>He was also four-of-13 shooting in that game, with 19

>rebounds. (Terrance Williams had 19 points, on eight-of-nine

>shooting, to go along with 11 rebounds and seven blocks in

>that game).

>

>I also saw Mitchell against Vashon, when he had 12 points on

>four-of-12 shooting and 14 rebounds.

>

>Mitchell is a good high school player, but I don't know how

>that's going to translate at SLU.

>

>I don't see him contributing much next year.

>

>- Nate

He shot poorly, but he contributed with 19 boards and one of if not the best dunks you saw all year over somebody. Sounds like the kind of player the billikens need. You are underestimating the havoc that his presence brings. That's an addition that should earn him immediate minutes. He's a taller, WAY more athletic version of Anthony Drejaj minues the outside shooting. Turn him loose. And yes he stated in the KFNS article that he was not only hurt as a junior, but as a sophomore and freshman. His only healthy year was his senior year. I think he didnt get hurt this year because he built his body up to withstand they wreckless style at which he plays.

>In fairness to Soderberg, Relphorde apparently had an offer

>from UNLV and at least interest from several quality

>programs, so this appears to be a nice signing. Mitchell,

>I'm less sure about. We'll see how that plays out. We can

>always use more athletic players, so this could be a nice

>find. There's still a lot of work to be done. As of now,

>Bryce is our center and Luke is still the 4. We gotta do

>better than that.

I think AK is the center. Luke is the pf.

>V, I have read on mulitple occassions he is much close to

>6'5 than 6'7, and is much more of a backcourt player than a

>frontcourt player

You can probably say the same thing about Ohio State's Ivan Harris. If he gets buckets it just wont matter.

>drew i havent seen relephorde play outside of a few short

>video's of individual plays that have been posted on this

>board a couple of times. and i agree with what you said,

>that most of what i have read leads me to beleive he is more

>of a guard.

>

>but i would have thought the same about luke meyer. i would

>have thought the same about the randall kid at illinois. or

>my favorite "there is no way he can ever be an effective

>power forward" story, is tayshaun prince. now i am not

>saying relephorde is brian randall or tayshaun prince, but

>let's let the kid show up at the first practice at least.

>his physical dimensions are indeed intriguing considering

>his supposed guard skills.

He played a lot of pg this past season. He can play 1-4.

No it wasn't a formality. They became Billikens, not just guys who said they wanted to. Is the fact Joe Blow signed elsewhere new news, yet it gets brought up in 5 different posts every day.

People act like these signings are no big deal because they don't have stars, but yet we can knock brad for missing the "important" guys with no more stars than they have. I guess I just want it to be objective not the over the top Brad bashing that seems to be the norm on here. Relaphorde is a player the Bills have severly lacked for as long as I have been a fan. He is a guy that at 6'7" and athletic can play the 4 on defense against the 4's in the A10. He makes playing a 4 guard lineup much more reasonable. we could start 4 guards with sizes 6'7", 6'5", 6'5", and 6'2". instead of 6'5", 6'5", 6'2", 5'9".

How many stars for Roundtree who Brad gets dogged for missing. How about 3. Who had offered him according to Rivals, SIU, SEMO, SLU, Ill St, and Indiana St. How come we need to be less enthusiastic about the signing of Relaphorde, who according to Scout was being recruited by Wisconsin, Wash St, Depaul, and Cal. He had offers from Norhtern Iowa and UNLV. But hey, lets trash Brad for missing Roundtree.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I watched Indiana on tv about 6 times and I particularly watched Stemler. To me he was an enigma. Early in the year he seemed to have some ability to hit the 3 ball but he looked totally lost on defense in terms of the fundamentals. Then he seemed to go in a funk and his shot was very erratic. Late in the season, his shooting was really terrible except for a few last minute shots but his defense seemed to improve a bit and even though he is slight and not a tough rebounder, he seemed to be giving it his all and he ended up making some contributions. I have no idea how he would have fit in with our team but if he shot the ball poorly and could not play defense then the rotation would have been tough to figure.

Nate,

As a person 1K miles from St. Louis, I also appreciate your objective reporting. Now on the Mitchell kid, if Brad could recruit a true PG who could contribute next season then the Mitchell kid not being any kind of a contributor next season is no real big deal. I would really like to see a PG and a big in the last two recruits and it is important IMHO that both of these last 2 recruits make meaningful contributions in the '07-'08 season...that is, if we have any expectations for post-season play.

>folks need to remember that in 95% of the offensive

>possessions, once we get across half court, the motion

>offense takes off and a classic point guard isnt a need.

>

>that said, all one has to think about is tommie at umass and

>that one play and the luxury of a stud pure point guard

>indeed becomes a want.

And SLU averaged a turnover number in the teens per game this year. ball handling is still notrecognized enough as a problem for many on here.

The reality is SLU needs a point guard, interior players and depth for practice and bench play to be as competitive or more competitive next season.