2 Big Xavier News Items

Pistol

I don't think the Wolf leaving has much impact other than they have a hole for a backup PG this coming season. But the Frease signing is huge for them and for the conference. He's a house.

Wolf contacted Butler and tried to get a spot there, but the coaches told him they likely don't have room for him. His family is a big sports family in Cincy and well-connected there, but I don't know where that gets him outside of XU.

X is a Jesuit University in a midwestern city which doesn't have a football team and plays in a mid-major conference. Its a real shame SLU isn't a Jesuit University in a midwestern city which doesn't have a football team and plays in a mid-major conference, or maybe we could get some of these guys.

Wait a minute, no we can't. Sean Miller gets re-imbursed for taking recruits to Dairy Queen and Brad doesn't. Who could overcome those odds?

Drew, I heard from a friend of mine in Ohio that X landing this guy was all about the chili. This Frease kid loves skyline chili it seems, and X has franchise on campus. So this is really Biondi's fault. See, if Fr. Biondi would allow more fast food franchises on campus, Brad would be on equal footing when it comes to recruiting. Just another example of how tight Biondi's got his hands around Brad's throat. Oh, and forget Frease's comment about how he fell in love with Miller and his staff. That was a press release from X's SID. We all know that a coach's personality and that of his staff have very little to do with landing recruits.

They have been doing this longer than some of the posters on here have been alve. They were Gonzaga before Gonzaga. They made a committment to basketball from the top down over two decades ago and it has paid off. XU getting this kind of stuff done is nothing new.

He didn't fall in love with Xavier's history, or Xavier's athletic budget, or Xavier's President. He fell in love with the coaching staff. This has ZERO to do with finances.

"Honestly, with a different coaching staff at Xavier, I don't know that I'd be committing there," Frease said. "But from the first time I talked to Coach Miller and Coach Mack, I was just in love with them as coaches. And it just seemed like the right thing to do."

I would have to agree with Drew. If you recall in 1990, when us, Dayton and Marquette all bolted for the far more prestigious new Great Midwest (wish that league was still around), X was still stuck in the old, lowly MCC (and you guys complain about the A10). Talk about the pits, not only did this league go down a several notches, X lost all of its Catholic rivals (except Loyola and Detroit) that they played for years. But you have to hand it to X, they made the best of a bad situation by keeping on winning, got into the A10 and after some years committed to building the Cintas Center.

I hope some day we can do the same.

this woe is us ##### has got to stop. People make excuses every time we lose a recruit or a game to a BCS school, then whine that we should only be compared to "similar" schools. then, when similar schools (Xavier, Creighton, St. Joes, Gonzaga, etc.) have considerably more success then us its because of something else. At the end of the day I think people honestly are happy with us having success on the level of teams like Loyola Chicago, Fordham and any other crappy Catholic school you can think of. Even if they aren't happy with it, they'll still defend that lack of success.

when the school has a winning tradition and the current coach replaced a guy who won something like 26 games 3 years in a row and is now at Ohio State.

It's not like the kid committed to some school that only one 5 games each of the last 3 years. Do you think he'd love the coaching staff if they were 6-22 this year? What would you expect him to say?

XU has been good since the Gillen days. Hats off to them. Let's hope SLU can emulate.

First, it was said only BCS schools could get top recruits. Then when non-BCS schools weren't getting every top recruit, it was said that the only non-BCS schools that could lure these kids have football programs. Now that non-BCS schools that don't have football programs are getting some of these kids we hear, it can happen if you are a non-BCS school without a football program but you have a winning tradition.

Addendums just keep getting added to the excuse. Pretty soon the excuse will be about a paragraph long

I didn't say that. I said bcs programs have a built in advantage and that is easier to compete a high level at them yearly. I never said that non-bcs schools couldn't compete and couldn't land recruits. I said they just have a harder time, becuase the don't have the same infastructure as football bcs schools have. If you are going to compete at these other schools and hope to remain copetive over time you must make the committment from the top down.

Drew you are just starting to read what ever you want into the opinions of people who don't agree with everything you say. Almost everyone on this board believes it can and should happen here. 90% of the posters on here believed at the begining of the year that we would be in the tournament. I still think we should have and I put the blame for that squarely on Brad's shoulders. But if you want to cure the cancer you don't just treat the symptons, you have to cure the cancer itself.

XU has been good for 25 years. Why are you surprised by them landing good recruits?

Of course SLU should aspire to be like XU, Creighton, Gonzaga. Nobody is disputing that. Just don't act so shocked by XU getting talent...no news flahs there.

There are plenty of legit things to complain about without pretending that XU's success has come out of the blue.