Soderberg contract extension?

I got ripped on the other thread for trying to share some information here about what SLU's competitors are saying about the program, but I have a question.

How many people here would give Brad Soderberg a contract extension of two or three years in order to help him with his recruiting?

(That way he can say his future at SLU is secure, beyond the two years remaining on his contract.)

- Nate

In my opinion at this point I wouldn't. This hasn't earned him one.

2002-03 16-14 (9-7) NIT 1st Rnd

2003-04 19-13 (9-7) NIT 2nd Rnd

2004-05 9-21 (6-10) No Postseason

2005-06 16-13 (10-6) No Postseason

2006-07 20-13 (8-8) No Postseason

Overall 80-74 .519

Overall conference games 42-38 .525

- CUSA games 24-24 .500

- A10 games 18-14.563

Say we offer him a two year contract extension and he strikes out on impact recruits and we miss the post season for the 4th year in a row. Now because of the the extension we can't afford to buy him out and are looking at at least another year.

I'm curious to see what Brad can do next year but I am leaning more and more towards the crowd that thinks he isn't going to get things done here at SLU.

Bard made the situation he is in and I think his future should be determined at the end of next year.

Also I have read posts basically saying we should keep brad because we don't know what we will get as a replacement. In my opinion that is the wrong reason to retain a coach. You keep him because you think he is going to get the job done. If he is not meeting expectations and you don't think he will then you have to move on and try someone else. Hiring any new coach is almost always a gamble.

Can SLU hire Bill Self, Bob Knight, or Rick Pitino? Of course not. But even the great coaches started out somewhere. SLU could certainly hire an up and coming coach from a smaller conference or an assistant at a major D1 school looking to get a start as a head coach. I think some people want a guarantee that the new coach will be better than the current one and there is no way of knowing that a head of time. I can guarantee people that any decent athletic department would do its homework and whoever they hire would at least have potential. They wouldn’t just pick some bum off of the streets.

Of course I would. Give him a two year extension with no significant buyout, as was stated in Nate's original thread. Listen, if Enron can use all kinds of accounting gimmickry to become one of the largest companies in the world, SLU can figure out an NFL-like non-guaranteed contract without much trouble. Window dressing? Maybe, but if that's what it takes to help the staff succeed, do it. And if it doesn't work in two years - buh bye!!

Nate,

I addressed this in a previous post, but I belive it is either/or. You either have to give him an extension or let him go. To do neither is simply not an option. You are taking a coach who has struggled to recruit and further handicapping him. If I were the AD I would probably choose to go a different direction. I guarantee Cheryl, like every other AD in America has a list and I am sure she has sounded the idea to Biondi. I don't however, think that SLU will fire him, hence I believe he will get an extension.

I agree with STLfan,you do nothing for a year.He has a contract and should be able to spin that to recruits. If after next year you haven't won on the court or in recruiting you would have to fire him. As Pdiddy said in the other post you can't be a lame duck, that last year. If he has a good year you can then extend him 2 or 3 years. What I really don't want as a fan is a so-so year on the court and in recruiting, where there is no clear cut answer. Come on Brad get it done.

I know I am in the minority here, but I would give him a 3-year extension. SLU really needs some stability in its b-ball program and while I was as disappointed as everyone else in this year's results, I think having a lame duck coach or firing Brad will put the kibosh on any hope for the near future.

I believe that Brad has improved the program - maybe not as quickly as we all want, but it truly is on the right track.

Everyone needs to watch the current edition of "Costas Coast to Coast" for his interview of Coach K at Duke. After 3 years under his reign, Duke was 38-47 and everyone was after his head. He was given an extension and some time and "the rest is history". I'm not saying SLU will become the next Duke, but I am grateful for Brad's hard work and I trust that the program will continue to improve.

Nate, I am not sure you were ripped so much as people did not agree with the assistant coach from the other school's contention that Brad's current contract situation was such a big deal. I would not give him a contract extenstion this year - nothing wrong in waiting to see what happens. Heck, Walter Alston coached the Dodgers for 17 years on a 17 one year contracts. As I said earlier, a long term contract means nothing in today's coaching world - it only penalizes the school who has to pay up if they fire the guy. For those who think you could give Brad a 2-3 year extenstion with a no buy out clause - what are you smoking and where can I get some. Why would Brad ever agree to such a one sided contract? He would have to be desperate and if he is is then we don't want him - the sharks will smell the blood and devour him.

I din't rip you, Nate, I ripped the sleaziness that is today's rcruiting world. I apologize if it came out htat way.

I also was going to note Cheese's point about Alston but did not have the facts (number of years) and also recognized that professional baseball coaches do not recruit.

Having said all that, contracts are a way of life. Everyone is on a path to complete one so what's that worth in the grand scheme of things? I personnally don't like the instability that comes with changing coaches every four or five years so one side of me favors continuity. Some would call that on the side of settling for mediocrity. To each his own.

As to the question at hand, do I think we need to give Soderberg an extension right now? No. I want to see what this spring and fall bring and how next year plays out. That's my take. His contract is good by me.

Thanks Roy. The truest statment ever put on this board is "It's not easy being a Billiken fan."

I have been following SLU b-ball since Bennington was the coach and I have seen waaaay too many coaching changes. I think SLU's handling of its basketball program is comparable to the way the Bidwills have handled the Football Cardinals, so it's obvious that the coaching merry-go-round is not the answer.

The answer I think lies with the school's hierarchy and its commitment to the athletic department - something that's been lacking for a long time.

Beat me to it Drew re: Duke. I do not believe Sodie's performance over five years merits a contract extension. What has Sodie done to deserve an extension? Go 80-74 with 2 NIT's and no NCAA in 5 years? If that combined with the "you can't find anything better" are our only reasons, that's pathetic.

Drew I think you made the very cogent point in another thread that if we are only keeping Sodie because there is no better option, then that is absolutely the wrong reason to keep a coach.

I also agree with the folks that say the contract issue is a red herring.

The only way an extension would meet with a modicum of approval on my end is if the administration is willing to eat whatever buy out such an extension would provide. Frankly, i don't think they have that in 'em.