The Miklasz story was a fabricated hoax.

Bernie's just such a loser. He's pretty typical for a sportswriter: never played sports, morbidly obese, bigger mouth than brain, spouts off for a reaction, plays favorites with some (who are his buddies), and consistently and unfairly rips others (generally for personal reasons, who knows).

I've generally taken him with a grain of salt, but have always been shocked at the way the general St. Louis public takes his word as gospel. He's the most established and well known sportswriter in the area, but he's just writing opinions like anyone else out there.

The thing about the original post that made it so believable is Bernie constantly plays favorites, and nowhere is it more apparent than his SLU and MVC talk. He hates SLU, always has, and loves the MVC. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he loves the MVC so much just because he's personal buddies with Elgin and it's skewed his opinion. He doesn't have buddies in SLU's athletic department.

So screw Bernie. If he is always going to take shots at SLU like he did the other day, even if just a little sentence or two, it just shows his completely subjective unprofessional bias against the only D1 team in the city. One would think that our most notable sportswriters would actually be rooting for the local teams, but that would be logical. Bernie is the kind of writer like those over at the Chicago Sun Times (Jay Mariotti and his clowns), which is one of the most despicable sensationalist tabloid rags I've ever seen - and living here I see it all the time.

bernie is a valley lover. courtside/upperdeck (courtside's stltoday moniker) is all about bringing the valley down to their previous level of public acceptance.

i refuse to believe that bernie as courtside/upperdeck would conflict that thinking.

however as brian stated, courtside/upperdeck's name dropping and fantastic places and events i have been would lend credence to a possibly a well traveled media person and the that same brethern would explain his passionate defense of bernie at every opportunity (not just this one scenario).

but no way courtside/upperdeck and bernie are the same person.

I hate to break it to you Roy but the MVC's current level of public acceptance is as one of the better mid-majors out there, and that is what I have always said. Maybe in the Mo Valley region, or STL area some others would think differently, that it is more or less than that....but that is the public acceptance of where the league sits today.

I don't have a passionate defense of Bernie at every turn. You couldn't be more wrong. But again, people can make up whatever they want. It is selective listening and selective reading. I defended SLU's soccer coach as almost the only person who didn't hik he shuld be fired. I believed the A10 was a better fit for SLU over the MVC because of SLU's publicly stated goals. I told many people on this board who bashed Lisch and Liddell to no end last year about the adjustment to the college game and how it takes at least half of a season. And so on....

I also saw on this board where everyone said this is the NCAA year for SLU. And I have sat back and watched the season unfold. I don't bash the players or coaches at every turn. I comment objectively, and I have stated many times that the conference tourney is devalued by most posters. Most posters call it lucky etc...but every team knows it has two ways to dance each year, so if SLU wins the conference tourney, they will meet their goals. If they don't...I do not believe in back pedalling and changing from that and saying...well we will see with this class or that one etc...I also believe the University has relationship building issues, money issues, AD dept issues and coaching issues in Men's basketball.

It's all about believing what you want to believe regardless of facts. Regardless of what people say or post. People are going to believe their own hypothesis and if fact gets in the way, so be it.

I don't understand Bernie's beef with SLU either.

Without knowing for sure, was he upset with Father Biondi when he (Father Biondi) poked a little fun Bernie's way at the press conference announcing the hiring of Brad "Soderberger" as SLU's coach? Is Bernie holding a grudge from that? Remember that Brian Gregory was Bernie's choice.

Bernie used to have his issues with Tony LaRussa (and vice versa). But the two of them ironed them out several years ago in of all places the San Francisco International Airport (SFO), as one was coming and the other was going.

Generally, I like reading Bernie's columns, enjoy his commentary on Fox Sports Midwest, and overall I think he does a good job. But I don't like the way he continues to rip and make fun of SLU.

Bernie kept that running count of the number of days from the original announcement of the SLU Arena. Maybe he thought he was prodding SLU. But he has to realize that money does not grow on trees, and now the Arena is being built.

As for the new Arena, I would rather have the 13,000 seats, but I would much rather take the 10,600 coupled with the practice facility. The new Arena will be great for SLU, but that practice facility has been needed for decades. Frankly, I am just a bit personally concerned about getting to see the Billikens on my annual pilgrimages back to the Midwest.

And I think Bernie is way, way off base re the beloved Missouri Valley Conference and SLU not being in it. I think that history will eventually show that SLU is better off in the A-10.

why are you telling me courtside/upperdeck? i am totally with you on the mvc thing.

as to the ncaa thing, as soon as december most saw that ian wasnt the ian we expected and lisch was continuously hurt few if any held onto any ncaa hopes anymore.

you do defend bernie constantly. like i said before, i wish you had that same defense passion for our program.

>I don't understand Bernie's beef with SLU either.

>

>Without knowing for sure, was he upset with Father Biondi

>when he (Father Biondi) poked a little fun Bernie's way at

>the press conference announcing the hiring of Brad

>"Soderberger" as SLU's coach? Is Bernie holding a grudge

>from that? Remember that Brian Gregory was Bernie's choice.

>

>Bernie used to have his issues with Tony LaRussa (and vice

>versa). But the two of them ironed them out several years

>ago in of all places the San Francisco International Airport

>(SFO), as one was coming and the other was going.

>

>Generally, I like reading Bernie's columns, enjoy his

>commentary on Fox Sports Midwest, and overall I think he

>does a good job. But I don't like the way he continues to

>rip and make fun of SLU.

>

>Bernie kept that running count of the number of days from

>the original announcement of the SLU Arena. Maybe he

>thought he was prodding SLU. But he has to realize that

>money does not grow on trees, and now the Arena is being

>built.

>

>As for the new Arena, I would rather have the 13,000 seats,

>but I would much rather take the 10,600 coupled with the

>practice facility. The new Arena will be great for SLU, but

>that practice facility has been needed for decades.

>Frankly, I am just a bit personally concerned about getting

>to see the Billikens on my annual pilgrimages back to the

>Midwest.

>

>And I think Bernie is way, way off base re the beloved

>Missouri Valley Conference and SLU not being in it. I think

>that history will eventually show that SLU is better off in

>the A-10.

He is the local sports columnist. The MVC is based in St. Louis. The MVC for a couple of year period is having high end mid-major success while SLU frankly has been a big disappointment. He ahs strong relationships with Patty and Frank Viverito,....people who do their jobs very well and have for a long time. SLU has not had that. The AD needs to recognize that.

I have said on this board for years that Bernie's pro sports coverage and knowledge is very good, but his college sports knowledge is lacking. He's a pro sports guy in a pro sports town. He obviously has better relationships with some MVC people and at Mizzou.

The real issue here is the relationship building, communication and marketing skills of SLU athletics, and administration.

My recollection is that Biondi needled him at the arena ground breaking. As his beef with SLU, it seems to have started sometime after Spoonhour.....but certainly he has had a chip on his shoulder to show SLU made the wrong choice when it came to BS vs BG

As for tickets when you come out Give us (on the Board) a heads up, perhaps a bay area native could help out a bay area Billiken fan

i have never said that about coach soderberg. i am the guy that has constantly said the billiken program is a long term investment and that the only way i would fire brad soderberg is if he was caught cheating or showed total incompetence. neither of which will ever happen.

i did think we would make the ncaa tourney this year, but like i just said above by the end of december when it was obvious a different ian showed up this year and kevin was hurt it was over. but never did i link an ncaa bid and coach soderberg's retention together. for you to say that would be a huge huge lie. i'd like to see you find the post where i ever said such.

Maybe someone from SLU should try to have a summit with Bernie, ala the TLR-Bernie chance meeting at SFO. It could only help the SLU cause because Bernie is a very influential columnist. He has actually gotten a national name for himself.

TLR and Bernie certainly had their issues for a time. But that is old, distant news now.

I still remember seeing Bernie sitting there courtside at San Jose Arena (HP Pavilion) with his counterpart from the KC Star when Mizzou went down to Oklahoma in the NCAA West Regional.

As for Bernie's work, other than his SLU bashing, I have respected his work. He's not the messiah of doom. But he sure seems to have it in for SLU.

Absolutely true!

I actually almost mentioned Dickey in my post, but refrained. But I see you, Basketbill, and I were on the same wavelength.

I see Dickey sitting to my left in the print pressbox at Giants games and wonder what's coming next. And, of course, he is a big time Old Blue apologist for his beloved Cal Bears.

Didn't Dickey have some feud with Joe Montana at one time?

your and sluer's jumbotron debut's weds nite were a huge success.

did you have to pay to get that attention for the little ladies? :-)

I didn't take it as a joke. But, I sometimes read quickly. He later said it was a joke and reading the original post again I noticed he put a smiley in there. Even if he didn't put the smiley, he posted again saying it was a joke. Why does there have to be more than that? People post jokes on here ALL the time. People post unrelated posts ALL the time. It really isn't that big of a deal is it?