random question about the new arena?

SLUNATE

I think it will have beer sales SLU is not a dry campus.

More importantly what will be the Arena Name? I think we need to have the "Army of One Arena". Then we can have the student section be Sodeberg's Soldiers and wear blue and white camouflage shirts. We can refer to the arena as the "Bunker" and take the other teams to War with our National Defense. Maybe, I'm biased but that is my vote.

Maybe we could be sponsored by the Church (they need some good publicicty lately) they have some money too. Maybe the Pope John Paul II Arena affectionately called the Pope Dome. All the fans could be issued sweet foam pope Mitre's for the opening game and opposing teams would get a religious experience as the battle between good and evil plays out on the court.

So we have to sell out on the Arena Naming rights that makes us have to do what everyone else does, Name the court after someone important to the Program. Do we wait till Brad takes us to the Final Four and name it after him or do we go ahead and name it: Eddie Hickey Court, Easy Ed Court, Father Doody SJ Court, Father Verhagen Court, Bishop Dubourg Court or Father Eugene Grollmes Court? Just a few thoughts.

i am sure that father biondi and the board of directors are not obligated to accept anyone's donation that might be a negative connection of any sort.

that said, i have seen a flyer that basically offers to sell the naming rights to various parts of the project. the arena itself, the courts, the study center, etc. you can even purchase the rights to sponsor an individual locker. so my guess is there is little chance of the court being named after a billiken great of years past.

the guy is an idiot. he knows nothing about slu if he believes that. they have had an on campus bar at slu since before i was in school in the late 70's. it also has nothing to do with our games and where they are held. most every team in conference usa has beer sales at their games.

as to ncaa official events such as the tourney, he is correct, there is not beer sales at those. but that has nothing to do with our games on campus for the regular season.

The guy might not know what he is talking about but I doubt he is an idiot. I have been to many away games that don't sell beer. SMS, Mizzou and Memphis jump to mind immediately. Marquette does serve beer. The theory above that state schools can't sell beer would seem to be supported by this evidence.

In this entire thread I don't think anyone has said a) they know for 100% sure beer will be sold and 2) with 100% certainty why some schools can't sell while others can.

everytime i have been to a memphis game whether conference tourney or regular season, i have purchased beer at the games. i have not been there for 3 or 4 years now, but i would seriously doubt they would change that policy.

From a presentation by Rice University:

"Beer sales can account for 35 – 55% of concessionaire’s sales—can be a major loss if not offered

"Usually no beer sales in college sports

"Individual schools and conferences dictate this, not NCAA (bold mine)

"A growing number of universities are beginning to allow alcohol consumption in arenas or stadiums"

It seems virtually impossible that SLU's new arena would be dry because

1) They desperately will need all possible revenue sources

2) They sell beer at current Billiken BB games

3) No one has offered a single piece of evidence that there are any rules against beer sales for Billiken games. As for the move to the A-10 and any conference rules there, this is from the Cincinnati Enquirer, re: Xavier games at Cintas:

"Are there beer sales?

"Yes. There are 55 to 60 beer taps, with domestic, import and premium brands.

"'For years now, our fan base has had the opportunity to have beer served at Cincinnati Gardens,' Bobinkski said. 'It's never been a crowd issue, a behavior issue, so we've decided to keep that option available to people.'"

1)Woolard said at a Tip Off meeting last year that beer would be sold at an on-campus arena.

2)State and local laws come into play when talking about alcohol sales. As stated above, state schools in Missouri cannot sell alcohol, while private schools may do as they wish. In Illinois, NO college can sell alcohol anywhere on campus whether public or private.

going to a Memphis game on a Thursday night during my senior year (99) and they didn't serve beer. I can't remember off-hand if they sold beer during the CUSA tourney in 00 but I seem to remember the answer as no.

SLUER's answer was perfect.

i bought out at the barbq stand on the outer concourse the plastic brown bottles of miller lite. i guess the last time i was there was 2000 when we were there for the miracle in memphis. but i was there twice in spoon years during the regular season and twice during conference tourney play and also bought beer. those times it was draft.