I have written CL

SLUDrew

Can you cut and paste what you put in your email to CL? I'd like to see what you are saying. If others agree and want to send her an email as well, there should be a consistent message. She may not reply to you but singly but if she gets a consistent message from fans I'd be curious to see if she responds or addresses one way or another.

I didn't save it but I started by congratulating her on the Shimmy hire. I then mentioned that I thought the program is at a crossroads and that with the new arena opening we have a great chance to take this program to a new level, but then I listed the reasons that I don't think Soderberg is the Coach to take us there.

If I get a reply from her I will certainly post my original message

that's good to hear she wrote you back. Even more reason for Drew to cut and paste what she wrote here. I am guessing after another L that more folks will be inclined to do so he can save them all time by pasting his email and everybody can follow with a consistent message

I get frustrated whenever SLU loses but this year it is magnified. I don't remember a time when SLU had an all conference player return and two all conference freshman return. SLU has been a slow starting team in the past and now it seems we started OK but then fizzled. I expected a NCAA bid and that doesn't look like it will happen. No doubt the A10 is weaker than CUSA was but we just can't put together a complete game. What happened to the SLU that always did more with less? Now we have more and we do less. I just don't get it when the future PF or C (AK) sits on the bench while a player who hasn't contributed in 4 years plays extended minutes (JJ). Why wouldn't you give the other player the minutes especially when their ability levels seem to be equal at this point? Why do we let a player (Butler) hit 3 after 3 against us. Why only now after going 2-3 in conference does SLU start to mix it up with some zone defenses? You can tell they didn't execute the zone that well because they never really play it. I want us to mix up the D but why not do it all along how can you implement it in the middle of the season?

I have had issues with Brad in the past mostly regarding to how he handles dealing with the public. He just doesn't seem to be a salesmen for the program the way he answers questions is non-diplomatic and he just comes across as distant to me. I admittedly have limited exposure to him personally so others may feel differently. I did think that he was a good coach, I do think he is a "good guy." I am doubting his ability to assess talent, to motivate, to gameplan and to make adjustments.

What kind of post game interview is that? "I would give my left arm to get Drejaj back?" I like Drejaj but he ain't comin' back. You go to the war with the Army you have not the Army you want.

and I will point out that there are a few internet fans that have had it in for Brad for years and that she should not ever make any decisions based upon a coordinated effort from a few negative internet posters to get a coach fired because they do not like him.

I have been out of town on business and I leave again shortly for three weeks where I will be working 16 hours a day. The good news is that I will not have to read the super negative and whiney posts on this site.

After thinking long and hard about what is the issue with this site it finally hit me. I do not believe that more than a few posters have ever played basketball at any level beyond grade school or a pick up game. Yet they all chime in with supposed expertise about the players, the coaches, the game plan, etc, etc. When everyone was saying that Luke was not a D1 player and then when he played well they said well he is not a D1 starter it should have come to me. The fact is that he is a terrific all around player.

Anyone who thinks that any team in the country could lose a player as important as Kevin on offense and defense and be the same team, particularly on the road, is smoking something. the coach tried everything today--started in a zone, switched defenses, etc. But you have to hit shots and you have to have intensity on defense. I was able to rerun many plays on my DVR and without calling out any particular player, there were many times when we just gave a wave at the shooter rather than close out hard. They hit some 25 foot shots and that made it more difficult but you need to close out hard. I am sure that is what the coach is saying about Drejaj.

Ian drew about 10-11 fouls on players from the other team and when he scored at will against single coverage they then double and triple teamed him. Tommie was very inconsitant and I think the fact that Kevin was out of the game really cut down on his three point opportunities. He ended up with fine stats because he got a bunch of points and rebounds at the end and I am happy that he will keep up his scoring average.

I said at the beginning of the year that we could not afford an injury to any of the big 3. I would now say we cannot afford an injury to the big 4, including Luke. With Kevin out we are not nearly as good a team. But as I said earlier if you take a player of Kevin's contribution off of any team in the country it would leave a huge hole--other than a team like North Carolina and even they would suffer if you took Wright off of the team. As long as Kevin is injured the Brad haters will be as happy as clams because the Bills will struggle to win games. My big question is--Are you a fan of the Bills only if the Bills fire Brad and hire a coach you like or will you support the team and live and die with the losses regardless. i think most of the naysayers would rather see the Bills lose so Brad can be villified in their repeated and now extremely boring posts.

"After thinking long and hard about what is the issue with this site it finally hit me. I do not believe that more than a few posters have ever played basketball at any level beyond grade school or a pick up game. Yet they all chime in with supposed expertise about the players, the coaches, the game plan, etc, etc. When everyone was saying that Luke was not a D1 player and then when he played well they said well he is not a D1 starter it should have come to me. The fact is that he is a terrific all around player."

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read on this board. I played basketball throughout high school, but basketball and sports in general are not brain surgery and it does not take a genious or a former pro athlete to intelligently disect and discuss sports. It is obvious when kids are not pouring it out for their coach and that was obvious today.

>and I will point out that there are a few internet fans that

>have had it in for Brad for years and that she should not

>ever make any decisions based upon a coordinated effort from

>a few negative internet posters to get a coach fired because

>they do not like him.

>

>I have been out of town on business and I leave again

>shortly for three weeks where I will be working 16 hours a

>day. The good news is that I will not have to read the super

>negative and whiney posts on this site.

>

>After thinking long and hard about what is the issue with

>this site it finally hit me. I do not believe that more than

>a few posters have ever played basketball at any level

>beyond grade school or a pick up game. Yet they all chime in

>with supposed expertise about the players, the coaches, the

>game plan, etc, etc. When everyone was saying that Luke was

>not a D1 player and then when he played well they said well

>he is not a D1 starter it should have come to me. The fact

>is that he is a terrific all around player.

>

>Anyone who thinks that any team in the country could lose a

>player as important as Kevin on offense and defense and be

>the same team, particularly on the road, is smoking

>something. the coach tried everything today--started in a

>zone, switched defenses, etc. But you have to hit shots and

>you have to have intensity on defense. I was able to rerun

>many plays on my DVR and without calling out any particular

>player, there were many times when we just gave a wave at

>the shooter rather than close out hard. They hit some 25

>foot shots and that made it more difficult but you need to

>close out hard. I am sure that is what the coach is saying

>about Drejaj.

>

>Ian drew about 10-11 fouls on players from the other team

>and when he scored at will against single coverage they then

>double and triple teamed him. Tommie was very inconsitant

>and I think the fact that Kevin was out of the game really

>cut down on his three point opportunities. He ended up with

>fine stats because he got a bunch of points and rebounds at

>the end and I am happy that he will keep up his scoring

>average.

>

>I said at the beginning of the year that we could not afford

>an injury to any of the big 3. I would now say we cannot

>afford an injury to the big 4, including Luke. With Kevin

>out we are not nearly as good a team. But as I said earlier

>if you take a player of Kevin's contribution off of any team

>in the country it would leave a huge hole--other than a team

>like North Carolina and even they would suffer if you took

>Wright off of the team. As long as Kevin is injured the Brad

>haters will be as happy as clams because the Bills will

>struggle to win games. My big question is--Are you a fan of

>the Bills only if the Bills fire Brad and hire a coach you

>like or will you support the team and live and die with the

>losses regardless. i think most of the naysayers would

>rather see the Bills lose so Brad can be villified in their

>repeated and now extremely boring posts.

I think what you misunderstand and what many people on this board misunderstand, is that much of the St. Louis community isn't interested in SLU basketball. SLU has not built any level of expectations from the their fans either. I think you grossly overestimate the people who actually care if SLU wins. It is the same 20-30 people on this board. Sure you get the obligatory flamers after losses for a few posts and few hours. You also overestimate the power of the messgae board. The bottome line for SLU hoops...maybe the regulars on this board care if SLU has a commitment to winning, but not may others. SLU has a small, very small, core of fans that will continue to come out win or lose, and have done do for many years. It is not a big core of people. This board in relative to many other boards, is not a big core of people. SLU will continue in mediocrity because nobody cares. The powers that be at SLU don't care, the fans don't care, the community doesn't care. Like I said, we here who do care if SLU wins are a very very small group. St. Louis itself is a solid sports town, so if a team wins, fans will then come out and go see them, especially if the opponent is also good. That is how it works in St. Louis. SLU will continue to be what they are, the Rex Hudlers. Why? Because not enough people care...and also because the people who matter most don't care...i.e. big dollar boosters, admin, etc...a small group of billikens.com fans do not matter. People come here because they would like to see SLU succeed. Some are patient, some are not. Some drink Kool-Aid, some do not. Some are trolls, some are not. and so on. that is how message boards work. As for people's comments on the board...it doesn't get a SLU grad to figure out who the regular intellligent posters are, and who come onlywhen they lose and provide nothing but venom. Look at some of the people complaining today, they are pretty positive regulars too. They pay money follow the team and only ask for a more competitive squad in return. They have given BS 5 years, not 1-2-3 years...etc...and BS, the team, the fans, everyone expects the NCAA's this season...very very patient people waited 5 years...again try other message boards. And SLU very well can still do that and satisfy those posters. They are a very small group of core die-hards.

The reason why your posts are challenged by so many, is because not once has anything ever been Brad's fault in any of your posts. It is one thing to be very very positive, but at best BS deserves mixed reviews. Your reviews of him have not been mixed. People here think you are Mrs. Soderberg.

SLU has a very small margin of error to win games. Why? Because that is their talent level. That ius the talent level of their starters, bench, role players, high majors...all combined. And also the talent level of their coach. Sure, losing a star player affects any team greatly...but this would go to the point of depth and how do you compete with depth. You talk specifics about defense, and IV etc.,..wouldn't that also be a part of lack of talent to consistently do those things well...and also lack of making the necessary adjustments during the game? or for the game?

See...this is calm, kind, intelligent discussion. Most of the very small group of SLU fans out there are like you. They do not care about winning. Winning means NCAA's. And that is exactly what SLU gets most years. So sometimes the small futile army on here dissects positives and negatives etc...and demands a winning team. But there aren't nearly enough of them to make a difference. And with the University and big dollar $$ not stepping up...nothing will change any time soon.

>and I will point out that there are a few internet fans that

>have had it in for Brad for years and that she should not

>ever make any decisions based upon a coordinated effort from

>a few negative internet posters to get a coach fired because

>they do not like him.

>

>I have been out of town on business and I leave again

>shortly for three weeks where I will be working 16 hours a

>day. The good news is that I will not have to read the super

>negative and whiney posts on this site.

>

>After thinking long and hard about what is the issue with

>this site it finally hit me. I do not believe that more than

>a few posters have ever played basketball at any level

>beyond grade school or a pick up game. Yet they all chime in

>with supposed expertise about the players, the coaches, the

>game plan, etc, etc. When everyone was saying that Luke was

>not a D1 player and then when he played well they said well

>he is not a D1 starter it should have come to me. The fact

>is that he is a terrific all around player.

>

>Anyone who thinks that any team in the country could lose a

>player as important as Kevin on offense and defense and be

>the same team, particularly on the road, is smoking

>something. the coach tried everything today--started in a

>zone, switched defenses, etc. But you have to hit shots and

>you have to have intensity on defense. I was able to rerun

>many plays on my DVR and without calling out any particular

>player, there were many times when we just gave a wave at

>the shooter rather than close out hard. They hit some 25

>foot shots and that made it more difficult but you need to

>close out hard. I am sure that is what the coach is saying

>about Drejaj.

>

>Ian drew about 10-11 fouls on players from the other team

>and when he scored at will against single coverage they then

>double and triple teamed him. Tommie was very inconsitant

>and I think the fact that Kevin was out of the game really

>cut down on his three point opportunities. He ended up with

>fine stats because he got a bunch of points and rebounds at

>the end and I am happy that he will keep up his scoring

>average.

>

>I said at the beginning of the year that we could not afford

>an injury to any of the big 3. I would now say we cannot

>afford an injury to the big 4, including Luke. With Kevin

>out we are not nearly as good a team. But as I said earlier

>if you take a player of Kevin's contribution off of any team

>in the country it would leave a huge hole--other than a team

>like North Carolina and even they would suffer if you took

>Wright off of the team. As long as Kevin is injured the Brad

>haters will be as happy as clams because the Bills will

>struggle to win games. My big question is--Are you a fan of

>the Bills only if the Bills fire Brad and hire a coach you

>like or will you support the team and live and die with the

>losses regardless. i think most of the naysayers would

>rather see the Bills lose so Brad can be villified in their

>repeated and now extremely boring posts.

And by the way...am I more qualified to discuss basketball because I played at a higher level than Mark Few and Tom Crean??? You know those two guys...neither of which played college basketball. They have done okay I think.

"maybe the regulars on this board care if SLU has a commitment to winning, but not may others" -courtside

I have a problem with this quote. Many people on this board think b/c they have 15,000 posts that they are the ultimate fan. Or that only true fans post on billikens.com. The fact is I would guess this board doesn't represent 5% of the donors to the billiken club. It probably represents less ten 5% of the money donated to the billiken club. It easily represents less then 1% of season ticket holders.

"SLU has a small, very small, core of fans that will continue to come out win or lose" -courtside

False - what an awful statemnet. SLU has over 5,000 season ticket holders and will sustain crowds of 6,000 plus at scotttrade no matter what. That's not a small number to me. Small would be the fact that there was not 5,000 fans combined at the Fordham, Temple and St. Bonny games.

"And with the University and big dollar $$ not stepping up" -courtside

Were you in a coma when 50% of the money to build an $85 million arena was raised by SLU alum

Intelligent posters/people have realized that you can not blame this solely on the administration and claim that they do not care.

I have faith in CL

CAG

>"maybe the regulars on this board care if SLU has a

>commitment to winning, but not may others" -courtside

>

>I have a problem with this quote. Many people on this board

>think b/c they have 15,000 posts that they are the ultimate

>fan. Or that only true fans post on billikens.com. The

>fact is I would guess this board doesn't represent 5% of the

>donors to the billiken club. It probably represents less

>ten 5% of the money donated to the billiken club. It easily

>represents less then 1% of season ticket holders.

>

>"SLU has a small, very small, core of fans that will

>continue to come out win or lose" -courtside

>

>False - what an awful statemnet. SLU has over 5,000 season

>ticket holders and will sustain crowds of 6,000 plus at

>scotttrade no matter what. That's not a small number to me.

> Small would be the fact that there was not 5,000 fans

>combined at the Fordham, Temple and St. Bonny games.

>

>"And with the University and big dollar $$ not stepping up"

>-courtside

>Were you in a coma when 50% of the money to build an $85

>million arena was raised by SLU alum

>

>Intelligent posters/people have realized that you can not

>blame this solely on the administration and claim that they

>do not care.

>

>I have faith in CL

>

>CAG

Hmmm...SLU has ZERO other D-1 schools to comptete with in town...unlike NY, Philly, Cinci, etc... It is a small loyal group that doesn't care if the team wins or not. I haven't blamed this soley on the admin...you apparently haven't been to this board pretty much ever. I do like CL, and she is 1 for 1 in her hires so far. But as we all know the only hire that matters is men's hoops coach. I would agree that this baord is a small representative of SLU fans, and said so...and I do believe SLU doesn't have a large group of fans. These people do not care if SLU wins or loses. They don't. Maybe you do, great, most SLU fans don't. Use your own argument...yuo think SLU has all of these fans...ok...then why do they keep coming most years and not seeing a winnner. Why don't they expect more? SLU hoops is not big noise in the community.

stop making excuses!!!

we should have run that team out of their GYM!

St.Bona and Duquesne SUCK!

WE HAVE NO RECRUITS SIGNED!

in case you missed it, there is a BIG $80m hole in the ground!

at the rate we are going our team is gonna be Knollmyer,Dustin, Kramer Soderberg and A BUNCH OF WALK ON's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE WERE PICKED TO CONTEND FOR THE CONFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!

anything less then a 12-4 record in this conference IS A FAILURE!!

Remember in Shawshank Redemption, Andy Dufrain wrote to the state library people every day requesting funds for a new prison library. The state got so fed up with him that they finally did it. Let's bust out of this joint, fire Soderberg and hell, I'd crawl through four football fields of the foulest human feces just to do it. Who's with me?!?!? Follow me to freedom!

"then why do they keep coming most years and not seeing a winnner."

It is complete faulty logic to say that because fans contiue to come when the teams lose then they must not care about winning. Its complete nonsense. If fans quit coming when a team loses they are called fickle and fairweather. If fans continue to come they are said to not care if they win or lose. You can't win!

Did the Louisville fans that still sold out Freedom Hall in Crums final (losing) years not care if they won? Of course not.

The decrease in attendance the past 6 years to its current levels should be obvious proof that:

- many fans in St. Louis will only support the Bills if they are a winner

- there is a core of about 6k that will still support the Bills no matter what.

The existance of a group that will support through thick and thin should NOT be used as evidence that the majority of SLU fans don't care if we win. Support at the games does not mean they don't care.

Similarly, the rantings of a few posters on this board like Billikan that will support the coach no matter how many times we lose should NOT be evidence that the majority of SLU fans are OK with the way this is going.

>"then why do they keep coming most years and not seeing a

>winnner."

>

>It is complete faulty logic to say that because fans contiue

>to come when the teams lose then they must not care about

>winning. Its complete nonsense. If fans quit coming when a

>team loses they are called fickle and fairweather. If fans

>continue to come they are said to not care if they win or

>lose. You can't win!

>

>Did the Louisville fans that still sold out Freedom Hall in

>Crums final (losing) years not care if they won? Of course

>not.

>

>The decrease in attendance the past 6 years to its current

>levels should be obvious proof that:

>- many fans in St. Louis will only support the Bills if they

>are a winner

>- there is a core of about 6k that will still support the

>Bills no matter what.

>

>The existance of a group that will support through thick and

>thin should NOT be used as evidence that the majority of SLU

>fans don't care if we win. Support at the games does not

>mean they don't care.

>

>Similarly, the rantings of a few posters on this board like

>Billikan that will support the coach no matter how many

>times we lose should NOT be evidence that the majority of

>SLU fans are OK with the way this is going.

If the majority of SLU fans were in an uproar over SLU losing...and this is a good solid group...then why no noise? No noise on tv, newspapers...in the community?

Ok compare Freedom Hall to SLU. Are you aware they still have an ex-coach who rips the current coach on the ex-coach's Louisville radio show all the time? Down seasons aren't allowed at Louisville. You picked a bad example...they just went to the Final Four and still people aren't satisfied there. Louisville had over 20 different busloads of fans for their road game at DePaul today.

It is of my opinion that the small core is just that...small and that is the point I made. Most people don't care. SLU doesn't draw any buzz postitively or negatively in St. Louis. Shouldn't there be more noise? Even if negative?

doesn't seem to support your argument.

http://www.billikens.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...orum=DCForumID3

My example with louisville was perfect. YOU stated that because the fans still come to Billiken games they must not care if they win. In the years at Louisville where they didn't win...like the ones near the end of Crums career...the fans still came out. We all know that the Louisville fans do care if they win or lose. By your logic, the fans of Louisville should STOP going to games to show that they care when they lose.

>doesn't seem to support your argument.

>

>http://www.billikens.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...orum=DCForumID3

>

>My example with louisville was perfect. YOU stated that

>because the fans still come to Billiken games they must not

>care if they win. In the years at Louisville where they

>didn't win...like the ones near the end of Crums

>career...the fans still came out. We all know that the

>Louisville fans do care if they win or lose. By your logic,

>the fans of Louisville should STOP going to games to show

>that they care when they lose.

No...what I said was SLU will always have a group of fans coming to games win or lose. And, those fans don't put any pressure whatsoever on the school to win. They are satisfied with losing. Louisville is a much different place. They pack the place, and if you do not win...pressure pressure pressure. You can't go anywhere in Louisville year round without hearing about the men's hoops program. Denny Crum made the NCAA's 23 times in 28 years, and had two losing seasons in his last 10. That is pretty competitive. 6 Final Fours and so on...of course fans are going to come out to see them play. They are on Pitino's butt in Louisville, big time...imagine that. And all because he hasn't made the Final Four in gasp 2 years. People care about winning hoops there. And, they win big time. SLU doesn't win big time and that is okay with most people, because it has never changed...and going 5 years without NCAA's...isn't a big deal to SLU. Fans come out at Louisville because they dance. Pitino made Final four, two other NCAA appearances...etc..at U of L...so people come. 23 of 28 NCAA appearances for Crum. That is why it is packed all the time, they win. If they had never won...people wouldn't go...you compare a guy who went to 6 Final Fours, Two National Titles, 23 NCAA appearances out of 28 tries...then hands torch to a guy who went to Final Four in his first 5 years and two other NCAA's....to SLU?

If SLU had same resume, games for this year's team would get 20k ...even as it is now. SLU would be able to have occasional down years and get 20k. That is why people go to Louisville games. And that is why they demand excellence each year...still go to games, but it is well known you better win.

It is amazing how arrogant you can be. You don't know what you are talking about if you say that I do not care about winning. I go to every game and I live and die with the team. But I do not quit on them when they lose. I lead the cheers from my seat when people are not cheering but most of all I put my money where my mouth is--Everyone on this board kept harping on how we needed the new arena to be competitive and people like Nark said it would never happen, etc. Well, I worked on the committee to help get it done and I made a huge contribution personally because I thought the new arena was important to the future of Billiken basketball.

What have you done other than to run your mouth on a cyberboard and insult people?

Courtside - Burwell and Gordon have both written articles in the last two weeks citing the outcry of the SLU fans against Brad. If you listened to KFNS after the game today, you would have heard 3 straight hours of fans--literally one after another--calling for Brad's ouster.

>Courtside - Burwell and Gordon have both written articles in

>the last two weeks citing the outcry of the SLU fans against

>Brad. If you listened to KFNS after the game today, you

>would have heard 3 straight hours of fans--literally

>one after another--calling for Brad's ouster.

David,

I respect your opinion and I am entitled to mine. If you asked the mentioned people and other media types, they wwould likely tell you that SLU isn't on the general St. Louis sports radar. It occupies a small corner. It is winter, no other D-1 program in town, and only the struggling Blues in the struggling NHL to compete with, ...one article from Burwell. an every once in a while update on college hoops from Gordon, not much at all from Miklasz, etc...isn't a lot to me.

I wish it were different, but I honestly think most STL people don't care. And who can blame them. There is a lot of work to do to change that, and it will take a few years of course.

If I had a different opinion, I would say so. It would be nice if it were really a huge topic of discussion. Obviously that small corner...many are on the page of changing coaches and that can appear to be louder than it really is imo. It doesn't mean I don't follow it closely, go to games, am interested and even travel far to games, as most here know I do.

I think SLU in generaql is an afterthought and that needs to change, and has needed to change for a very long time.