Do not want mediocrity!

Tonka

I apologize in advance for pissing anyone off as I am a little fired up tonight! I know the players and the coaches work hard to put the best team on the floor and give their best effort each game. But, the fact of the matter is, I am one, who is not up for a mediocre season. I guess I need to define exactly what I think mediocrity is. If we make the NIT - mediocrity! If we don't even make the NIT, then in my opinion it was a Bad season! We better be shooting for the Big Dance, every damn year from here on out. I think Brad is the Coach to do just that. I remember when Brad was hired and a reporter asked him what his goal was, and he said it was a National Championship. The reporter kind of snickered and Coach said he didn't expect that his first year or even the first couple, but that you had to think that way to be successful. I couldn't agree more! I hope these current players, future recruits, students, and fans all buy into that vision. I heard a great interview with Derek Jeter a week or two ago and he talked about the Yankees failure. He didn't care about what happened and what prevented the loss, he said they flat out just didn't get it done. I love that attitude. It seems I have heard one too many times that the reasons for not getting it done were the university, Doug Woolard, Biondi, Romar, Spoonhour, Grawer, injuries, the conference, recruits, ineligibility, academic problems, and so on. I am tired of not getting it done year in and year out. There's ALWAYS going to be some adversity, but I don't believe we need to ever take steps backwards in this program, which we have done in the past. No more excuses! I didn't give my prediction like a lot of you did, because the fact of the matter is, that I just don't know anymore. There is one thing I do know though, I expect these Billikens to be better than they were last year, and I expect them to be even better next year than they are this year and so on!!!! Let's go, damn it. I am so FIRED up about tomorrow night and the start of this season. If you plan on showing up and golf clapping, then stay home! If that old lady in the knitted vest behind you asks you to sit down during the damn game, then throw your beer on her and tell her to get up on her feet or get out. This isn't the frickin symphony, you old hag! This is Billiken Basketball! Go home and watch Donnybrook and leave me alone! Let's get crazy! Go ahead, visiting fan, sit right by me in your girlie opponent's jersey and try and out cheer me! Not only will you go home with a tray of Nachos on your head, but you'll also be able to think about the loss your team was just handed on your long drive home! If we don't get fired up every night, then the players may have a reason not to. Let's demand success and behind these Bills and let's get this program where it needs to be!!!!! We can make a difference as fans and make the place a hostile environment for every visiting team. Before you know it, the stands will be filling up again and it will only get bigger and bigger!!!

I can't be there tommorrow ... but I want to know where Tonka sits. I'm usually very loud and the older people around me like it ... they even get going occasionally themselves. There are usually plenty of empty seats down low in 105 ... If you are loud ... come on over.

i dont think throwing beer and nachos on fans that likely are the ones paying the bills for the program is very smart. now if i see tonka's name in the highest tier of benefactors, i guess throw away and doug will probably back you up, but i get the impression from previous discussions you dont even belong to the billiken club. so IMO, you need to be kissing the a$$'s of those "golf clappers" and "knitters" that make it even possible that we are as close as we are to being a success.

speaking of success, to label only making the ncaa a success is crazy. i want to go to the tourney each year as well, but my gosh, if you take away the 15-20 conference winners that get automatic berths that are not even top 40 teams, you have about 44 teams that are a success out of 340ish teams? that is some tough standards.

i personally believe you cant build it over nite without substantial luck or cheating. it will take a while. duke didnt win as soon as coach k took over. and even when he did start having some success, it wasnt until he lowered the duke academic standards that he became a true power.

personally, i wont stand for cheating and academic watering of the program. if it happens, i would be ashamed of the slu and i for one would be demanding heads roll. that would be the disappointment of the billikens imo.

the fact is, with patience, we can have it both ways. if you chart the team over the last 15 years, while there have been down years, overall the arrow has continued to be a gradual rise compared to a chart of the previous 15 seasons.

Tonka you may want to think twice about the dumping of Nachos and beer. For one that is a party foul and two those are really expensive at the Savvis Center. Or you could just do what I do which is talk never-ending smack. It takes practice but one day you may approach my level.

Old Hags With Sore Hands is all about ending the discrimination and stereotyping represented by your thoughtless comments. Please in the future refer to them as the silent elderly. There was an epidemic back in the 30's and 40's that swept through St. Louis like a plague. The disease produced a bumper crop of the silent elderly that we have been trying to come to grips with ever since.