Soderberg will waste Lisch and Liddell

SLUDrew

I believe they will sign some player(s) in the spring. I doubt how much those players will contribute based on the quality of PF signees UB has brought in to SLU.

I doubt they will challenge for a starting spot. First, Brad has a loyalty to players in the system. Second, we haven't seen Brad bring in a big man to compete right-away outside of TF maybe.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nate didn't say that they won't sign a single player in the Spring, he said "Looking at the recent success of getting recruits in the spring, I doubt they'll be able to bring in anyone to contribute solid minutes."

Based upon prior track records, I have no reason to believe otherwise. Since his first year at SLU, has Brad signed a single impact player in the Spring? I know that he has scholarships to offer every spring.

does that mean

>if sampson hadnt shown up last minute last year that stemler

>wouldnt have started this year?

>

Stemler would be starting, however it would be at Marquette thanks to BS's waffling on him early and letting the big boys get involved with him.

What from the past give reason to believe that anyone brought in during the spring will be able to contribute next year, if at all? Most JUCO's take a year to adjust to the D-1 game (Frericks was an exception but he had played at the D-1 level already) and all other spring signees have been major projects. Even Ian took 2 years before coming into his own.

I have no doubts that the Billikens will sign a couple kids in the spring.

I have doubts about whether or not those players will be able to contribute.

When you're recruiting players late like SLU has had to do the last few years, more often than not you're going to end up with players like Horace Dixon and Obi Ikeakor — players who may have talent, but also have enough baggage that has left them unsigned at that point.

For every Anthony Drejaj, how many Dixons and Ikeakors are there?

The recruiting over the last few years has been terrible. It makes no sense to say otherwise, because if the recruiting wasn't terrible you wouldn't have a Division 3 caliber walk-on playing meaningful minutes in a must-win conference game.

I said a few months ago I thought Soderberg did a good job of evaluating talent with this class, because the kids he went after (and missed on) were able to really improve their stock in the summer and ended up signing with good programs.

From talking to JUCO coaches, the chances of getting a sought-after kid in the spring are very slim. At that point, bigger and better programs are trying to fill holes from early entry draft guys and transfers and pay a lot more attention to the JUCO guys. It's not like recruiting JUCOs is an easy thing anyway, with trying to get them in school in the first place.

I want to see Brad Soderberg succeed at SLU. I do. I like Brad and I like the assistant coaches. I'd like to see all of the best local talent go to local schools and help those schools get to the NCAA tournament every year. I had high hopes for this SLU team.

But when I look at the recruiting situation — the misses, the kids that weren't offered and the fact that the Billikens have lost two young players (Dixon and Ikeakor) but have yet to sign anyone for next year — I know that this program is headed in the wrong direction.

- Nate

>Has Stemler's JUCO teammate who went to Marquette been

>getting much playing time?

Nope. He had to work all summer to get enough credits to be eligible, keeping him off the court (typical situation when JUCO's transfer to private schools) and he just isn't ready for D-1. I never understood that signing and still don't. Crean's last 2 JUCO signings have been busts (Blackledge and Lott) and the previous one, Jackson, took a year to pay off (some due to injury, some due to the adjustment period).

I talked to Tommie after the game he upset and very tired,he said the last 5 minutes of the the game he started cramping in his legs and he couldnt jump.I think that packed defense is hurting us, if Xavier would have been hitting their shots we would have lost that game...

First of all let me say to all concerned that I consider billiken roy to be a very good friend and one of the best people I have ever had the privilege of getting to know. I never knew him in undergrad but through Steve and Nark's invention and continuance of this board, enjoy our times together on line, at the tournaments and elsewhere. I have taken advantage of roy's business expertise and asked advice to which he has never failed me.

Having said that, I am extremely mad at thim for not sharing whatever he is smoking at this particular time!!!! I don't have the answers as to how to right this ship ... I've been searching for those for three decades now .... but for him to blindly state that some prospects are in the bank and things are going to get better come spring when there is no track to suggest such miracles quite frankly amazes me.

Even if we do sign folks, isn't it a fact as made above that Brad shows loyalty to those in the system (current walk-on not included) and plays them accordingly? If that is the case, and we do sign someone like Leon Powell or the Three Rivers kid (again doubtful based on track record) what makes you think they will see the light of day off the bench (again track record).

Fro the record, even with Temple in a down year, winning at their place was a preseason loss in my book. Of course, 4 and 1 wouldn't be as bad as 2 and 3 but this whole walk-on issue complicates things. I owuld ahve been more happy to have Adma and Dustin thrown to wolves to cut their teeth. These are are scholarship kids that we will need to rely on later on the line.

Is that rolled gold or a water pipe you're using, roy?

I did not realize you were his father. I am decent friends with the senior manager on the team, Mike, and he said that Tommie is an absolutely great kid. You should be very proud of what your son has accomplished as an athlete and as a person. Take back what I said about him transferring out, I said that without knowing that you were so close to him. Tell him to keep his head up and keep up the good work, it won't be long before the rest of the country takes notice of your son. If he keeps this pace up, will you sit down with him and discuss the possibility of him entering the draft?

My father is a dean in the business school at the University of Missouri. I was suggesting he jump ship and Mizzou would be a system that he could really flourish in and get the exposure he deserves. SLU is a joke and they are completely wasting an extremely talented player. As far as the racist thing, that does not warrant a response.

Rich, I don't care what you think. I have been to far too many games since Soderberg has become the head coach to put up with this crap any longer. Call me what you want, but one thing is for sure, I am not the only SLU alumni fed up with this BS. I really do like Mizzou at this point, they have a coach who just puts out an unbelievable amount of passion and he has a team of guys who were labeled as underachievers completely selling out for him night in and night out.

Rich, I can take the heat from you clowns. I am the one who has been right from day one. You can say what you want, I have the inside knowledge of the program and it pisses you off to no avail. I will not leave this board or change my name, I have shown to be one of the most credible posters on here. I even proved to be right when opposing OJ who you all said was never wrong. I will sit here and bash this program and continue to leak inside information until something is done about the state of this program.

This has gotten a little out of hand. Ace and Rich need to relax a little.

In all honesty, a player of Tommie's caliber WOULD get recognized a heck of a lot more at Mizzu then at SLU, that's just a fact. That being said, I could really care less about Mizzu. And I don't want Tommie to leave. He's so damn good. He's a great addition to SLU. But saying he would get more exposure at mizzu is pretty true. like it or not. big 12 vs. a 10.

at least tommie has various espn games to show case his talents.

oh wait...

Canadian, you don't need to stand up for me. Let these guys bash me all they want. The proof is in the pudding. We have a roster full of projects and gambles and it is an ambrassment. It just kills them that the Bills are no good and I can sit back and say I told you so. We are nothing outside of Tommie Liddell, Kevin Lisch, and Luke Meyer.

Thanks for setting us straight Canadian. We know you always have the best interests of the SLU program at heart?!?! I think Tommie could do a hell of a lot better than Mizzou. Get recognized by who? Pro scouts? I think they'll be able to find him in the A10. If they were watching Ian last year, they sure as hell are watching Tommie.