Ramsey and Frank on Brad

cheeseman

Today on the show a caller asked if Brad was in trouble. Ramsey said that he has a big contract and years left. Frank mentioned that CL really likes the type of person Brad is and how he reps the school/program. Rammer then said well ultimately it is wins and losses but don't forget the team is 10-5 not 5-10. Not sure what to make of this.

The College of Charleston fired their guy w/ 2 years left on his contract just because some biggies didn't like the guy, who by the way won almost 85% of his games, and they don't have the $$$ SLU does. I've got to think the $80mm Biondi Dome is weighing heavily on everyone's mind and will play a role in determining UB's future. If this season some how goes even further south, I'd expect a buy out. I don't think this board is the only part of Billiken nation in turmoil. Big time boosters cannot be pleased w/ the recent turn of events.

Not sure if anyone else heard them talking about this as well, but Bob and Frank were talking about recruiting budgets. And SLUs is roughly $70,000, which ranks last in the A-10. And to give some perspective, Mizzou has a $375,000 recruiting budget. I thought that was very interesting.

No it is not up to Brad, it is up to the Athletic Department and CL. Hell, the staff has to pay for their own cell phones bills, what makes you thin Brad could put more money into his Recruiting budget, when the Ad won;t even pay for his staff's cell phone bills

I sure hope Brad gets out of this, easy enough for me to say from up here in Madison. He's a class act, and a good coach. I really do believe that.

Earlier comments on this thread make me think of Minnesota recently canning Dan Monson - his career won-loss record was so-so but winning, had a rather lengthy contract still with a significant buyout, but they decided to make a change because they saw a drop off in attendance and were afraid of where things were headed this year. So, if the right people want Brad gone, he'll probably be gone.

But I agree with the poster who pointed out you are 10-5. Crissakes, hang in there people. It's a long season yet.

Well, having worked in educational institutions at all levels, I have never ever seen where funds from one budget can not be moved to another budget in the same department. Now budgeted money from bonds are a little more difficult since by law that money can only be spent for certain things. Budgeted money for salaries is another area that normally you can not very easily move it but that is at least possible if you can get approval from whoever approved the budget in the first place - perhaps the Board of Regents for example. So, while I have not spoken directly with anyone at SLU I would find it highly unusually that they would operate any differently then the normal acceptable operating standards of their industry.

"I have never ever seen where funds from one budget can not be moved to another budget in the same department."

If we're talking departments, wouldn't our department be the the athletic department? If so, you're saying that Brad can just move funds from the women's field hockey budget to the men's basketball budget? Surely you're talking about funds with the men's bball budget (i know...don't call you shirley)?

I find it highly doubtful that Brad could unilaterally transfer funds (even if just on paper). I would bet that the "ok" would come from CL and perhaps someone higher than her.

Sorry for not being more specific I just assumed everyone knew what I was referencing - I never said nor meant to say that Brad or any coach could transfer funds from one sport to another. When I use the word dept I am referencing the area that a specific supervisor is responsible for. While there is an overall athletic budget that all the sports are subsets of, the coach can only have authority over the budget for his or her area. Another example would be in the School of Arts and Science, there are multiple dept/categories in it - philosophy, foreign language, math, history to name a few. The person responsible for the philosophy area would describe his area as a dept even though it is a subset of the Arts and Science area.

Torch - I have a lot knowledge is this area. Did I work for SLU - no. None-the-less, saying I don't know anything would be like saying since you never worked at AB as an accountant you don't know anything about how the accounting dept operates at Emerson - that is simply not true. All budget/accounting areas follow standard industry procedures unless they want to go to jail or broke. I would be willing to put money down that says I am a lot closer to how it works in the broad picture at SLU then you could even imagine.

but that only means another aspect of the athletic budget will be neglected. we cant rob peter to pay paul and expect an overall top notch program.