Pre-Game Prayer

BleedBlue

I asked one of the clueless SLU marketing guru's what happened to the Pre-Game Prayer. He said "It doesn't fit in to the time script". I laughed and told him, "Oh, but now we have time for some corporate sponsor's silly "Move of the Game" where someone in the upper deck acts excited about moving to the bottom deck. Just another commercial that we are bombarded with at games nowadays.

I always thought the pre-game prayer was a nice touch and something unique to SLU. It was one thing that let the crowd know that SLU is a religious based institution. Just because Fr. Eugene may be in failing health does not mean the prayer has to go away!!

Bring back the prayer!

Didn't 'The Band' poster state earlier that there just wasn't enough time in the pre game activities for the prayer and it was eliminated this year.

I liked it, thought it set us apart, true to our Catholic heritage. At the University of Rochester, we always sang the alma mater before every game. Liked that, thought it was stupid as a frosh, appreciated it as a senior...not better than SLU's approach just different.

Bring back the prayer! If they can make the Baby Blues change their name to the Dance Team, we should be able to keep the prayer.

mhg

Fr. Eugene was at the Ole Miss game and was looking very frail. I don't know if he has the power to get up there and let one fly. I mean, even at Notre Dame, they don't pray before kick-off. Maybe we should put in a grotto or something by the Arena. Get yer prayers in before the game. I hate that we're becoming more and more secular.

Perhaps we could do a half-and-half raffle of indulgences.

Seriously, though -- I was always ambivalent about the prayer, because Father Grolmes' theology always struck me as a little out there. (I'm pretty sure he once prayed to the Billiken just after invoking the Holy Spirit.)

But come on -- we've prayed as long as I can remember, and suddenly we don't have time? We have a scorer's table who routinely makes clock mistakes, and we have a scoreboard that routinely doesn't have the right players in the game, and we have game announcer who apparently lacks rudimentary knowledge about both the game of basketball and our team, and the change we make is eliminating the pre-game prayer?

Geez, have some Jesuit smarts! At the very least, couldn't we at least get a priest from Fusz Memorial to give the Pre-Game Invocation Sponsored By Lou Fusz. (Joe and Julie: "Hey, Billiken Fans! Let's make a joyful noise unto the Lord!!!")