Dayton v. UNC

UNC up 14 -4 early. Its looking like Carolina will run all over Dayton. A huge blowout of Dayton would probably help us eventhough they are in our conference. Not too big of an RPI hit to us since we play both this year (Dayton twice), but selection time we look better than Dayton if they get blown out by more than we did.

We should definitely be calling for Dayton here.

1) We play Dayton twice, hence an RPI benefit, not to mention the benefit it will have on the SOS for every other team in the conference, thus helping our SOS of our opponents.

2) Anything that adds some validity to the conference is good for us

3) If the committee is deciding between us and Dayton on selection Sunday they would NEVER compare the margin of defeat vs. Carolina as a factor. Especially when Dayton is playing them on the road.

good points. Maybe a Dayton win would benefit us more. I was just thinking the Dayton loss wouldn't be as bad since we played UNC too and if the selection committee were comparing us head to head with Dayton, they would likely choose Dayton if they beat Carolina and we lost to them. Too bad Dayton doesn't stand a chance.

i just think it makes us look better if UNC runs it up on Dayton because most people would say Dayton is better than SLU if they aren't really in the know. If UNC scores 100 on Dayton it shows that we have a really good defense.

Same if UNC puts dayton on lockdown and holds them to low scoring it makes us look like a better offense

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

>i just think it makes us look better if UNC runs it up on

>Dayton because most people would say Dayton is better than

>SLU if they aren't really in the know. If UNC scores 100 on

>Dayton it shows that we have a really good defense.

>Same if UNC puts dayton on lockdown and holds them to low

>scoring it makes us look like a better offense

That's a good point. I feel that what Dayton does against UNC won't matter as much as what we do against Dayton. Comparison scoring is useless and I would hope the committee knows this.

Dayton winning or losing by more than 21 points won't make SLU look any better or worse. Nobody does comparative scores based on only one game, especially the NCAA committee. Far more more important will be our performance vs Dayton in the two games that we play them. And all this presumes that its going to be SLU vs. Dayton vs. the final at large NCAA bid!

If you want to be impressed with SLU, which scenario is more impressive to you?

SLU beat Dayton twice and Dayton is a team good enough to beat UNC in UNC or

SLU beat Dayton twice and Dayton lost to UNC by 30 (which is what it ended up being).

... plays a real basketball team? Annihilated by 30! I forget what we lost by but it was the same and we were at home. Which means, to me, that the SLU/UD games are going to both be nailbiters once again.

North Carolina isn't a "real" college basketball team. UNC is an NBDL team! Ordinary college basketball teams -- even most NCAA Tournament teams -- don't belong on the same court with them. It's like taking your ordinary varsity team and putting them up against one of the east-coast basketball-factory academies. If the Tar Heels lose in the Tournament prior to a regional final or a Final Four game, it will be a massive upset.

but as '72 points outin another thread, YouDee has ten wins, all at home, against less-than-stellar competition and asks the question just how good YouDee is. I think that's a legit thought.

Of course, if Gregory is thinking schedule a bunch of dolts to pad the win total while adding confidence to a young team, he won't be the first. And what I do know is that YouDee season ticket holders have not been happy with YouDee's schedule for some time now, even before Gregory got there. Not much will come into the YouDee Arena. Even the biggest names of the recent past .. Kentucky, Cincinnati ... insisted on YouDee playing them at neutral USBank Arena in Cincy. Even last year when YouDee played Purdue, it wasn't at the Arena, rather, they insisted on "neutral" Conseco Fieldhouse in Indy.

Oh well .. it is what it is.