Yet another reason for no student attendance...

FYI, yet again no buses show up to shuttle students to game...for all of you that arent students dont be surprised when student attendance drops due to sheer frustration towards the athletic dept. I try to be optimistic and positive but for this and the Zona game NO buses showed up...Blue Crew waited outside from 6 until 645 until the incredible Jan let us on a Humphreys bus. Just thought ya'll should be aware of the athletic dept dropping the ball once again...

One and a half more years (and I wont be here anyway)...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to guess, I would say that it all has to do with SLU switching their bus service to games. Those of us in Band normally were taken to the games in the nice shuttle buses, until the Arizona game when some school buses showed up. That day the Blue Crew and other students going to the game weren't picked up by the buses, plus there were no buses there for the Band after the game. Apparently now Band members are supposed to take the school buses to Savvis, so I'm guessing that the school bus drivers are just taking the Band to the game and not realizing that they are supposed to make another run.

This is inexcusable and heads need to roll for this. The Athletic Department needs to be confronted about this.

I can't believe this has happened twice now.

Everyone connected with the program has said student attendance must improve. The Blue Crew is making a concerted effort to do so yet they continue to not recieve any support. Unbelievable.

Dear lord, why does the department continue to mess up the "simple" things. How hard is it to tell the bus drivers to make more than one trip? Heck, don't stop running the busses after tipoff, keep 'em running in case a student has a class that ends at 7 pm and still wants to go to the game.

The goal is to MAKE IT EASY FOR STUDENTS TO ATTEND GAMES!!!

The Athletic Event Manager Job was just open and I believe that person is the one who schedules such things. The last person who had the job's name was Terry. I saw the job listed on www.slu.edu and wanted to apply before I typed up a resume and sent it in the job is filled. I don't know who the new person is but they just took over.

I don't think the problem is that you CAN'T get to the Savvis, it's that the university isn't making it easy. It is pretty widely accepted that SLU students are not the best fans of the basketball team. Just one year ago, I had to defend the team against my friends that were ATTENDING SLU. There is usually a negative undertone to the team as it is. I think we are slowly coming away from this, but the university has to do it's part. Sure the die hards will walk through sleet, rain and snow to watch the games. But the casual bored student would not walk to Savvis or risk a mugging at the Metro Link station. If they pound a few beers in the dorm room, walk downstairs, hop on a bus and arrive at their seats 10 minutes later, it's a different story. This is just one more thing to pile on the list of bad marketing.

To paraphrase Professor Kingsfield: "Here is a dime. Go out and call your mother and tell her there is serious doubt that you'll ever become a lawyer."

"Why is it that the school has to get you to games? Can't the Blue Crew get there on their own?"

Apparently they can, because they did. The proper framing of the argument is that the University does, and always has, provided transportation to and from the games. The argument "you could always walk" is irrelevant and specious. The U. promised a service and reneged, for which there is no defense.

Apparently they can, because they did. The proper framing of

>the argument is that the University does, and always has,

>provided transportation to and from the games. The argument

>"you could always walk" is irrelevant and specious. The U.

>promised a service and reneged, for which there is no

>defense.

The university screwed up, so instead of students saying "woe is me, back to the dorms" why not explore the many alternatives available to get to the games? A group walking to the Metrolink station will be safe and besides, the Billiken Loop shuttle will take them there for free. Plus, there's Humphrey's and (I think) Laclede's shuttles, taxi cabs, etc.

If these students are truly fans of the team they'll find a way to the game shuttle busses or not.

"If these students are truly fans of the team they'll find a way to the game shuttle busses or not."

That is where the problem lies. Unfortunately, most of the students are NOT truly fans of the team. This is evident by our poor student support at games (minus the Blue Crew of course), our lack of student posters on this board (less than 5?), and no pre-game student activities (ie parties, tailgate, etc.) That is why this bus is all the more important. If we truly want student support, I think we at least need to provide them a convenient way to get to the game. At the very least, honor the commitment to trasport them. If a student decides to go to a game, then the bus doesn't show, it definitely could leave a sour taste in there mouth.

...because you have an obvious talent for defending the indefensible by interjecting utterly irrelevant verbiage.

"The university screwed up, so instead of students saying 'woe is me, back to the dorms' why not explore the many alternatives available to get to the games?"

If you reread what BlueCrewPres said in his initial post, taking care this time not to skip every other word, you'll note that the students he was talking about actually got to the game. The word "Humphreys," amazingly, also appears in that post.

No one said "woe is me." Someone who happens to have the rare dual role of student and passionate Bills fan actually bothered to hold the University to its word when it promised a service and didn't deliver it. (Of course, if a student ever happens to be injured as a result of this negligence, there's always more work for those in your future chosen profession.)

If you read the first post in the thread, it says that the students did eventually find a way to the game by taking the Humphrey's shuttle.

Yes, there are other ways for students to get to the games. The problem is that SLU guarantees transportation to games from campus for the students. The two things they mention the most in order to convince students to attend games are that each student can get a free ticket with their SLU ID and that they offer free transportation to each game.

When they use the transportation as a key aspect in their marketing ploy and then find a way to screw it up, that wrong on SLU's part.

DeSmet made this KEY point:

>

>When they use the transportation as a key aspect in their

>marketing ploy and then find a way to screw it up, that

>wrong on SLU's part.

That effectivly ends the argument for me. Keep your promises SLU.

By the way, the Events Management position has been filled (it was once held by Terry Elmore) by a gentleman named Koshay. He came to us from the C-USA office and worked for Brenda Weare (some of you will recognize that name)

I agree with both sides of those arguing. The problem is there is a need to face reality. Reality says that you are waiting for the bus and it does not come. By the time you realize the bus is not coming, it is probably close to game time or just past it. Now the question is do you spend the effort to find an alternate way and be late - who knows how late - or do you go back to your dorm room and watch it on TV. For most, they would choose the latter. This is why an on campus arena is so critical. No transportation issues - walk down to it anytime before or during the game - chance for groups to set up tents and music along with refreshments prior to the game when the weather permits - easy to talk friends into going since it costs nothing and if you decide to leave, you are only a short walk from where ever you want to be at.

I am not a big fan of the above.

Here's the point. We (yes, I said we, at least to include myself and any other SLU boosters who want to join in) need to find a way to help get students to the game because it serves several purposes of interest to us.

First, it creates a more hostile environment for the opposing team (just ask Barbara Berger).

Second, it creates an atmosphere that is immensely more enjoyable than a bunch of old farts (yes, I am one of them) straggling into the game five minutes late and sitting for the bulk of the game.

Third, for any recruits in the stands, an enthusiastic student section is a real turn-on. Just ask a few of the athletes.

Fourth, the noise of the students gets OUR players more pumped up. No one who has walked onto a court or field to play a sport can deny that.

Now, if you would rather cut off your nose to spite your face, then let's just show those stupid students and burn the buses. However, if WE want the team to do better and WE want a better environment for ourselves, the players, and potential recruits, let's do what we can to make sure the students get to the games. Sure this will be a moot point once the Biondi Dome is built, but that is at least two years away.

An e-mail or call to the athletic department or to members of the board of the Billiken Club from season ticket holders certainly wouldn't hurt the situation.

(The opinions expressed above are mine and only mine. I did not intend to offend anyone. If I did offend anyone, I truly apologize. If you are still upset, please see my attorneys.)

As a student here, I am upset at the fact that there is only a minimal amount of advertising around campus for upcoming games. Just one weak sign outside W. Pine Gym telling students to come in there to get their free ticket. Hopefully this will change with the introduction of SLU TV, a student run organization on the campus cable. They have press passes and all the cameras they'd need, so that should be a great opportunity to increase student awareness. The president of SLU TV and the head of the SLU TV sports department were at the So. Miss game, so that's a great start. The SLUPER Sports Show will be on Monday nights for two hours starting in a few weeks with player interviews, student discussion, and highlights. It's a brilliant program for SLU and should be interesting.

ahhhhhh i sense the latest protege of avis meyer is present.

alonzo, is this show something that can only be viewed on campus, or is it available on charter or somewhere else?

sounds like a great project. good luck!

btw, just how is avis doing these days?

i would have assumed you were a communications major since you seem to be involved in the project. that would lead to assuming you know avis as most communications majors go through his classes. you need to find your way through his classes. he is the best teacher i had while at slu.