What is our recruiting philosophy?

SLUDrew

I disagree on the PG comment. Right now Kevin, Dwayne, and Tommie are 10,13,14 respectively in the A-10. In my PG, I want the ability to bring the ball up the court and find the open man. These guys have all demonstrated beyond a doubt the ability to do this.

A Brandon Wright is still at the top of my wish list.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>I disagree on the PG comment. Right now Kevin, Dwayne, and

>Tommie are 10,13,14 respectively in the A-10. In my PG, I

>want the ability to bring the ball up the court and find the

>open man. These guys have all demonstrated beyond a doubt

>the ability to do this.

>

>A Brandon Wright is still at the top of my wish list.

Couldn't disagree more, and we will agree to disagree.

I guess I am seeing this whole thing in a different light. I wish HD and Obi the best of luck, but I am very glad to see them gone at this point. They were not getting off the bench at this point and too me I would rather have a open scholarship now than another JJ for 4 years. Freeing up to scholarships will make sure we have enough for the '08 class as well as being able to hopefully land a quality JUCO looking for big minutes.

I see this as a great opportunity for SLU. Brad was able to find Frericks the last time we have a large hole in the middle and I would hope he can find another quality post player to compliment Husak, Knollmeyer & Meyer for next year also.

Brad was in on some very good players this fall that we came close on, Swansey who went to Georgia and Pullen who signed w/ KSU come to mind. I still expect Brad to sign a couple of quality recruits this year still.

Having Obi & HD out at this point, will allow Brad to recruit JUCOs who want big minutes and they can see a big opportunity here for the minutes. Also a chance at post-season play with Lisch and Liddell still around. While I wish we had some big name recruits already signed, losing HD and Obi is really not a big loss at this point.

When I say 10,13,14, I was talking about assists (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/leaders?cat=assists&type=1&groupId=3).

So, we have 3 of the top guys in the conference. Also, we all forget that Tommie was recruited to play PG. I don't think our star guard would be happy if Brad decided to recant his promise.

Why do you hate SLU so much? Do you have psychological problems? Everything is perfect with this program. Don't worry about buidling a program, just worry about this year.

Sorry Kappy, I actually agree with everything you said. I just wanted to feel what it would be like to be an illogical apologist.

Your comparison to the 92-93 Bills is spot-on in my opinion. That team was loaded at guard and instead of wasting them, we went out and got role players to fill in down low. Jeff Harris proved to be much more than a role player and became a star in his own right. Why we haven't been able to get anyone like Harris since he left completely baffles me.

ARV said, "Adam Knollmeyer is at best, a good D-III player. Maybe suits up for Illinois Wesleyan or Augustana. The guy should be thanking God everyday that a Division 1 school offered him a scholarship. Lisch, Liddell and Voyoukas are the only D-1 caliber players on our team."

you do realize that there are 336 divison one teams. your statement means that only lisch liddell and voyoukas could make the rosters of the other 325 teams in division one?

now if you meant to say they are the only players worthy of top 15 division one teams, i might be able to see that point, but even that would be a stretch as polk, brown and meyer would have reserve value at most schools, and i bet there a lot of top d-1 schools that have the likes of knollmeyer and husak on their bench's as well for sheer size alone.

that might be the stupidest things you have said since you changed your moniker to ARV. you have been pretty solid posting recently until today. apparently you are not with it today though.

If you read your buddy PUTZ--ARV then you can find someone who is truly insane.

What I have said over and over is that the way to evaluate a team is to see who is playing on the floor. We have a nice team now that is playing well so that gives me encouragement and I think they deserve some positive comments. You and your buddies 72 and Drew think that the only thing we should do is to concentrate on what you believe to be our negative future--a future that is completely unknown because we will not know until next year ---or the year after if you are talking about 2008--the newcomers will be playing for the Bills. You, look at your crystal ball and decide that we will have never sign any good new players and our current players will never get any better or develop at all so there is a huge crisis. That is a point of view--but it is a point of view that is pure unadulterated speculation without any basis for factual analysis because it is impossible to precict the future. So I would prefer not to enage in endless negative speculation--or for that matter endless positive speculation--about what might happen in the future. I look at our team now with nice players who are still young and I have a lot of hope that we will be good for the next few years. if we can sign some nice new players, which I see in my crystal ball as likely, then we can continue to be a good team.

Why do you and 72 and Drew insist on speculating on the future and why is the result of that speculation always extremely negative?

ARV did you know that coach k was 38 and 47 his first 3 years at duke? you and your band of merry naysayers would have run his a$$ out of town before he ever set the program.

When you post in the middle of a game that the coach is an idiot and a terrible defensive coach and the players are terrible like you did in the middle of the Pacific game then you are anti-SLU. We then play the best half of the year defensively and you give it the back of your hand--exactly what an anti-SLU person would do. You post repeated posts criticizing the team, the coach, the players and the recruiting--all things that a person who is anti-SLU--and a person trying hard to hurt the program--would do. Your label is very well earned!

Who are you to question whether or not I am a fan of this team? Why the hell would I even bother to post if I didn't care very deeply about the direction this program is headed in? Why would I continue to buy season tickets and attend every single game year-after-year?

I think you are a non-sensical apologist, but I would never question whether or not you actually want SLU to succeed. I think that is as low as you can go.

always seeing the downside doesn't make you objective as some of the naysayers like to refer to their posts ... which are very far from objective.

I agree though that if Horace and Obi are gone ... we better get to work on bigs or we are in trouble. Even if Bryce and Adam were the starters and you believe they can and will be good ... we still have no depth ... we really need guest's juco big.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Spoon was never able to lure a top big man to campus during the Bills nice 2 year run in the top 25 (he has admitted that was a big regret of his). But imagine if he had not gone the impact JUCO route and recruited freshman spring "projects"? Do the glory years of 93-94 and 94-95 ever happen? I don't think so. Let's hope Brad seize's the moment and realizes that if he wants KL and TL to truly enjoy a re-birth of Billiken basketball before they graduate, he needs to start recruiting more agressively and more important, creatively.

Romar was in on a bunch of good players too....result...nada. Look at SIU and MoState...both viable dance contenders. SIU's been there five in a row...w/ players we should have been in the running for and who would be forces in the A-10. Instead we get Obi Wan Kanobi and HD, who weren't going to play and now aren't even in St.Louis. Jeez, can't any of you kook aid drinkers see this? Let's see SLU goes 5 years dancing in a row...what would that do for recruiting? Hell, that's almost Gonzaga like...who said we'll be the Gonzaga of the midwest? He was in on some good players this year...good players who went elsewhere...meanwhile MoState and SIU get the locals and get invited....Hello, the writing's on the wall. I'll bet Anderson goes after some of these guys, unlike Q, and so the competition will only increase.

Good point. I think there are a few on here that are negative for negative's sake and disguise it as objectivity. However, i believe most bring up objective points, but those points concern deficiencies in the SLU program. Whether that is fair or not is a different question.

The thrust of my point was that Billikan might have bigger issues than having to deal with some posters on billikens.com.

Something that I think a lot of people are missing is that Brad only plays 8 deep so those 2 players at the end of the bench that weren't contributing will not be missed this year and probably not next either. Sky Frazier at Mo St has left or been kicked off the team after contributing only here and there the last 3 years. Mo St has had NCAA like teams, but has only been getting NIT invites though. Tony Boyle was a very unheralded recruit for SIU that took a redshirt and is now playing a nice role for them. If SLU had Boyle on the roster the last 2 years, most people would be complaining about his wasted scholarship and why after so many NCAA trips are we even taking a player like this.

SIU goes 10+ deep off their bench, this is a different style than Brad. SIU's style allows players like Boyle to get minutes, Brad's short bench style he probably wouldn't get minutes. The freeing up of scholarships from players like Obi & HD will allow Brad more chances to hit it big with another recruit. Now if you want to argue that Brad should starting using a deeper rotation, I would agree with you, but that has not been his style for the last 3-4 years and I don't really seeing it changing in the near future. What this style does though when recruiting, it enables him to sell the program and a lot of minutes for the players that come in and are ready. There probably not too many freshman that played as many minutes as Lisch and Liddell did last year--this should be a real selling point to potential recruits. If those same recruits go to an Anderson at MU or SIU style they will probably be getting 10-15 minutes first year and build up on that to where they might get 30+ minutes as a jr & senior--at SLU if ready they could get that 30+ minutes for 4 years.

In the past he said that going deep into the bench seemed to make it hard for the team to get into a good flow both offensivly & defensivly. Now that could be coachspeak for I don't have a lot of talent on my roster and this is the best way to win some games also. I would like to see a deep rotation especially with a more uptempo offense, it would allow players to keep/have a quick burst of speed at the end of the games and not be dragging as much in the 2nd half.

I agree ... we need at least 1 quality Juco big who can be a solid or topline starter immediately. If you are a juco big out there ... with KL and TL on our team ... how could you not want to come, you know you have a pretty good chance to play major minutes and you could be the piece thats puts the team in the tourney 2 years in a row.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.