Is Brad Holding Tommie Back?

Billiphan

Or it Tommie holding Tommie back? Only once has Tommie led the team in shots taken. Three times, three people have had as many or more shots than him. Three times he has only taken 8 shots. Why is a talent like Liddell taking so few shots? It's not like he has been getting to the line a ton. I know KL nad IV are going to get their shots but shouldn't TL be getting up more than 8/Game?

My opinion is that the other teams have learned that the people they need to be on top of are IV and TL, which opens up our other guys and gives them an opportunity to step up and make up for those guys' points, which they have (for the most part). Even if Tommie is taking fewer shots, he has a higher shooting percentage...especially with that newfound 3 of his (feel free to correct me if that last point is incorrect...I'm too lazy to look up stats today).

He's been passive all of his life. Why should he changed now? He would be scary if he ever took the initiative in a game. No, it's not Brad's fault. There's a consistent record of Liddell being too unselfish.

When we signed Tommie, the number one knock on him was that he was too unselfish and somewhat passive. Throughout high school he was never the "take control/shoot a lot type of player." He's always been the type who likes creating for others. So I think the answer is that it's Tommie holding Tommie back. Not that he's holding himself back that much. The guy's a stud.

I think that is Tommie's personality. One of the things I always hear that makes Tommie so good is that he lets the game come to him and doesn't try to force things. With the other talent on our team, I think Tommie works on keeping everyone involved, which imo is probably better for the team.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Holding Tommie back??? Wasn't it Brad that completely reformed Tommie's shot, the one in which he is now shooting over 50% from 3 compared to 9.5% last year? Tommie's game has never been about scoring a ton of points. His best asset is his rebounding and getting his team involved, he is just an unselfish kid. Brad has given Tommie the ball since day 1 and let him go. If Tommie wants to score he can and will (see the Wisconsin Milwaulkee game last year.) If he wants that last shot go back to the game last year when he hit that shot with 1.5 seconds to beat UMASS. If anything Brad has strengthened the only thing inhibiting Tommie from making that next step, his shot. So no, I don't think Brad is holding him back.

This is a stupid topic. Nobody is holding Tommie back. He is playing great.With the exception of his mandatory palming call I find nothing to be critical of. He doesn't have to force up shots to controle the game. Tommie is our most important player and certainly is our on court leader. Not to disparage anyone but he's our MVP.

> I think that is Tommie's personality. One of the things I

>always hear that makes Tommie so good is that he lets the

>game come to him and doesn't try to force things. With the

>other talent on our team, I think Tommie works on keeping

>everyone involved, which imo is probably better for the

>team.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

All good points from everyone. I think TL is the type of player that, if we're going to get where we want to, he is going to occasionally have to take over and win us a couple/few games a year. Maybe those are lofty expectations but I think he can be the difference in the Bills winning the A10 some year or coming in 3rd or 4th. He can be a difference maker if Brad could get or if he could get out of himself 4 or 5 of those take over games a year. Hopefully we won't have to wait until he is a senior to find out. But I don't want to see many games where is 4th on shots taken.

without forcing up shots. It's all about having the will to want the ball and take the shot. Lisch certainly has no problem in that area. Lisch is the go-to guy on offense, and he's certainly not a bad option. However, Liddell would probably even be better as the go-to guy.

Tommie lets the game come to him. The best thing about Tommie is he is an explosive scorer and still knows how to get his teammates involved. Tommie is this teams Mr. Do Everything. He is this team's best player.

I think scoring wise his coming out game will be UNC. He will have to for us to have a chance to win the game and I think he knows this. I think Tommie has a really high basketball IQ. But until I see him not pass up the chance to win a really big game (passing to DB in the GW game), I will wonder if he has the killer instinct to be a truly be a dominant player.

90% of the times I walked by West Pine in the afternoon this summer I would see Tommie in there working on his shot. I am not sure that I saw Soderberg in there that often, did Tommie say Soderberg transformed his shot or are you just giving him credit for that? Tommie really worked his ass off this summer and it is apparent, I just wish he would be a little more assertive out there.

Tommie is not afraid to dominate and I am surprised you said that. Tommie is a team player and understands that TEAMS win games. If we are losing games and Danny, Dwayne, Luke etc... are taking more shots than Tommie ... than that is one thing, but that is not happening. If it is Kevin or Ian with equal or more shots ... I don't have a problem with that unless it is alot more. To date this year TL has 65 shots, Ian 66, and KL 69. The next closest is Luke and Danny with 45 and 46 respectively.Imo ... the ball has been distributed pretty well between the 3. They are all averaging about 11 shots per game

Look at DB's game last year at GW. He was hot TL got him the ball. I have no problem with that.

And for whoever asked. UB said he and Tommie worked alot to get his form down. He said that sat across each other in chairs and shot it back and forth over and over. I'm sure Tommie worked a tremendous amount on his own in addition to the base work he and Brad did together. If Brad said he did it, he did it.

Tommie, Tommie's dad, Coach Soderberg, various radio personalities and tom timmerman have all said Brad reworked the mechanics of Tommies shot. Where have you been?? That doesn't mean anything unless you put in the work though. Credit goes to both. But especially Tommie for realizing what it took to get better.

DB did have a great game till he tried to take that shot before he had the ball. That is the first time I have ever seen a college player whiff on a shot. I have seen some awful shot attempts but to completly miss the ball is something I never did see before.

But back to the important point Perry, Hughes, Waldman, Clagget, Dobbs, Bonner, Douglas,and Gray would all have finish that themselves. He had his man beat. It was his game to win. He was a freshman then hopefully he will not do that again.

We just disagree. DB was wide open and had been hot all game. I don't think Tommie knew in advance that DB would fumble the ball. Could he have taken the shot ... sure, should he have ... who knows. Majic Johnson might have passed it to the hot open man. I don't think either option was wrong. I also don't think you can determine from that situation that he doesn't have the killer instinct. Did he not hit a game winner last year with the clock running out?

Tommie is playing well and shooting the ball much better. He is rebounding well and Brad let's him run even though he has had some turnovers. The team is winning and Tommie is the most important player on a good team. Can't you find something other to do than to constantly rag on the coach. it is tiresome!

I think he now does have that killer instinct. He won the Umass game for us. I just want to see it against one of the "Big Boys". I think we are going to see a very specail game out of Tommie against UNC. We may not win the game, but I think we are going to see Tommie play like we have never seen before.

because you just can't rely on one go-to player. Lisch can only bail us out so many times in the clutch. He's limited with his size and off-the-dribble skills. It would be ideal with Liddell's shot and penetration skills that he would be more assertive.

I don't think the premiss is a silly question ... should Tommie be shooting more? In fact I like these types of questions. It gets us talking about basketball. I don't agree with the thought that UB may be holding him back ... but imo the question the part about how many shots he is taking is a good one