Questions for Nate re metro area early signees.......

That would seem to once again indict the St. Louis metro area as being somewhat bereft of major college-basketball-playing talent once again. I find that amazing especially when you consider, or as I consider, basketball to be THEE game most associated with the inner city youth of today. I don't know the demographics so I don't know just what size the city or metro area is overall in this country but does just three signees semm pitiful to anyone else? Not that it matters but I think it just once again goes to show that consistent divison 1 talent in the St. Louis area is suspect at best. Despite Vee's calling for every tom, dick and harry on the near north side deserving of a Saint Louis U. scholarship.

Surviving by recruiting this talent base would seem to be tough. Sure, every so often one or two or even a couple kids blossom and make national waves. But the chances of getting them at the current Saint Louis U. are remote at best. A blue chipper rises rarely and usually goes away to a better basketball school. That's a tough case to crack if you ask me.

And I wouldn't lump the signing schools as anything near the upper half of the NCAA echelon ..... Western, IUPFW and Northern Iowa? Crikey.

Just to back what you are saying Taj, St. Louis ranks 18th in metro area size (US Census Bureau stats July 1, 2005). The area is nowhere near the 18th best basketball area. Here is a link showing where the players from Vashon (the area's best program) have ended up: http://riverfronttimes.com/Issues/2006-11-...ws/sidebar.html. More of those guys have ended up playing big time football than basketball. For it's smaller size the metro east turns out far better talent than the west side of the river. With the exception of soccer the St. Louis area really turns out a surprisingly small number of top tier male college athletes.

From what I've seen in my 4 plus years down here, St. Louis high school basketball is terrible. Not just terrible, atrocious. Maybe it's that I'm coming from Chicago where we continually have 20 players go play at Top 25 schools each year, but in all reality, I've heard of no McDonald's All-Americans, no blue-chip recruits, nothing out of this city in 4 years. Hansborough may be the exception but do you really count him as a product of the St. Louis metro area?

If Brad could reach up to Chicago like his predecessors did for Marquee Perry, we might begin to see a trickle of solid Chicago players in a Billikens uniform. They would sure beat the hell out of any local garbage here. Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim pickins.

The program recruiting that resulted from Vashon's success, couple with the voluntary busing for the deseg program, killed the St. Louis PHL.

Peoria always has two or more high schools in a dogfight to gain the upper hand in basketball supremacy, and often there is a five to ten year period of excellance within a single high school as a string of kids rolls through the program.

Vashon manages to do quite well by out-athleting their competition. The Peoria programs do much better in developing DI basketball players, and they do a better job coaching and competing in a cutthroat basketball state. Vashon struggles to beat a lower echelon Midstate Six team, ala Notre Dame.

futurebilliken said "man i wish we had a point guard."

can you clarify that? who is we? surely you arent talking about the billikens who have in order liddell, lisch and polk.

This senior class is definitely down in terms of overall talent, while the junior class should be one of the better groups in some time.

There's definitely some talent here year after year, with a high-major McDonald's All-American type of player every couple years (Larry Hughes and David Lee are the last two) who have gone on to play in the NBA.

If Scott Suggs or John Brandenburg (or both) turn out to be that kind of player next year, then it will kind of continue that cycle.

The junior class includes many D-1 kids: Suggs, Brandenburg, Ron Waller (W. Kentucky), Gateway Tech's Jesse Perry, McCluer North's Torres Roundtree, Femi John and Anthony Booker, Webster Groves' Drew Hanlen, St. Charles West's Kramer Soderberg, Wesclin's Sean Rakers and Zumwalt South's Josh McCoy.

I think all of those guys already have D-1 offers.

There's another group of guys I'm not sure about who may or may not be D-1: O'Fallon's Kenny Leverette, Normandy's Anthony Jones, Collinsville's Dez Hickman, Gateway Tech's Courtney Belger and Kenny Harris and one or two kids from Vashon.

I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple names, but you get the point.

- Nate

>This senior class is definitely down in terms of overall

>talent, while the junior class should be one of the better

>groups in some time.

>

>There's definitely some talent here year after year, with a

>high-major McDonald's All-American type of player every

>couple years (Larry Hughes and David Lee are the last two)

>who have gone on to play in the NBA.

>

>If Scott Suggs or John Brandenburg (or both) turn out to be

>that kind of player next year, then it will kind of continue

>that cycle.

>

>The junior class includes many D-1 kids: Suggs, Brandenburg,

>Ron Waller (W. Kentucky), Gateway Tech's Jesse Perry,

>McCluer North's Torres Roundtree, Femi John and Anthony

>Booker, Webster Groves' Drew Hanlen, St. Charles West's

>Kramer Soderberg, Wesclin's Sean Rakers and Zumwalt South's

>Josh McCoy.

>

>I think all of those guys already have D-1 offers.

>

>There's another group of guys I'm not sure about who may or

>may not be D-1: O'Fallon's Kenny Leverette, Normandy's

>Anthony Jones, Collinsville's Dez Hickman, Gateway Tech's

>Courtney Belger and Kenny Harris and one or two kids from

>Vashon.

>

>I'm sure I'm leaving out a couple names, but you get the

>point.

>

>- Nate

You could probably add the 08 Vashon guards Cornelius Walker, and Derron Hobbs to the list.

>There's definitely some talent here year after year, with a

>high-major McDonald's All-American type of player every

>couple years (Larry Hughes and David Lee are the last two)

>who have gone on to play in the NBA.

You forgot Darius Miles, who was probaby the best prospect of the three.

At one point in the mid-90's Cardinal Ritter had three NBA prospects on the same team in Loren Woods, Jahidi White, and Chris Carawell.

so far this year DP per game 6 pts, 5 asts, 2 tos, 4 rbs ... in 30 minutes a game. Not great but not horrible either. DP also plays pretty good D.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>>There's definitely some talent here year after year, with a

>>high-major McDonald's All-American type of player every

>>couple years (Larry Hughes and David Lee are the last two)

>>who have gone on to play in the NBA.

>

>You forgot Darius Miles, who was probaby the best prospect

>of the three.

>

>At one point in the mid-90's Cardinal Ritter had three NBA

>prospects on the same team in Loren Woods, Jahidi White, and

>Chris Carawell.

Nark,

Good call on Miles. I forget about him because he finished his HS career before I moved here.

- Nate

future billiken said,

"Lets see....

Liddell- He would be better off on the wing

Lisch- Not a point guard, hell of a player, but not a point guard

polk- Uh....... have you seen him the last 2 years?"

liddell gives us triple double visions every game. only the two best point guards in basketball history, magic and the big o played that way.

lisch no argument is best served on the wing, however he currently is second on the team in both assists and assits to turnover ratio. the kid can play the point. just so happens that liddell and polk are even better at it.

polk the last two years when the billikens played a half court game and polk this season taking off up and down the floor are not the same player. if the billikens truly stay in the uptempo game, polk is a point guard. btw, while lisch was second in both of the key point guard stats on the team, polk was first in both.