Game observations

AlumniFan

The game was exactly what I expected so no gloating here and no need for you to bow down.

Just don't come onto a game observations thread and tell us your girls are "beasts" and gave X a good game-what does any of that have to do with game observations?

Also, please stop with the Brad needs to sign every player in the city-players that ultimately are only good enough to sign with low-level mid-majors, at best.

the harris stowe kids are not out of shape. in fact every one of them was a greyhound imo.

we just wore them out with depth and defensive pressure in the second half.

think of this, with five minutes to go in the game we only led 32-28. before we got to that second tv timeout in the second half when the harris stowe kids were just sucking air on the bench, the score was 66-34. that is a hell of a run.

Not sure if anyone brought this up but what is DMs shooting percentage? I have been at both pre-season games and he has looked like GARBAGE. Maybe he's just getting his feet wet but he is no where near where KL was last year.

Dixon looked great - but we do realize he was playing the 2nd string Harris Stowe team (NAIA). hmmm looks like we still have major, major, MAJOR problems at the 4.

imo, lisch and liddell have a chance to be the best guard tandem in billiken history. they definitely are further along as sophomores than any tandem i can remember. to compare maguire to kevin lisch isnt really fair.

how about comparing him to drew deiner who as a freshmen had to redshirt and then contributed little the next two seasons? by the time he was a senior diener was a starter. i think maguire was recruited to be a shooter. that might be a role player the whole time he is at slu who knows.

he definitely has a shooter's mentality, and imo his form and his shot look good coming off his hand. while he wont be confused with any great defenders, he is actually a better defender than what i expected.

i say give dustin time. i think in the long run he will be fine. he is actually better than what i expected at this point from the little i saw of him in high school. i have hope he will turn out fine down the road. the question is how long to get down that road.

completely agree with Roy. it's really unfair to compare DM to KL, especially after two exhibition games. I'm relatively optimistic about DM. I think he could be a player similar to what Troy Robertson or Diener were. Good shooters who play their role and provide outside scoring and help break zones down.

I also think it's gotten to be a habit amongst fans (especially on this board) of making snap judgements about freshman. three years ago people were knocking Ian all over the place. two years ago, Luke was a stiff and dwayne was the greatest thing since sliced bread. now dustin is horrible after his second exhibition game.

Actually, I have higher hopes for Dustin than Troy or Drew. Both Troy and Drew had to be standing planted for 5 seconds before they could shoot. By the way Drew was a better shot than Troy. From everything I have heard about Dustin, his release is much quicker and he can shoot without being planted in the ground like a tree.

>Actually, I have higher hopes for Dustin than Troy or Drew.

>Both Troy and Drew had to be standing planted for 5 seconds

>before they could shoot. By the way Drew was a better shot

>than Troy. From everything I have heard about Dustin, his

>release is much quicker and he can shoot without being

>planted in the ground like a tree.

I'd agree with that assessment.

>surely after that display which demonstrated a mountain of

>difference between division 1 and division 2, you cant

>honestly say drejaj couldnt play for harris stowe anymore?

We could definitely use Drejaj right now. We are extremely thin, undersized, with a 7 man rotation. Drejaj would start at the 4 and would have a chance to be our leading scorer this season. This year and last year are totally different. Last season all our guards were double figure scorers and we only had 1 starter under 6'3. This year, we only have one starter over 6'2. Next semester we return our 6'9 center and a trio of 6'4 forwards that will help a lot. We arent that bad right now, we play hard, were just not deep because of eligibility issues.

Waiting 4 years for a recruit to develop, just in time to leave does not sound like a great recruiting strategy. DM is shooting 18% against HARRIS STOWE and UMSL!!

He may look athletic, but so does JJ, and we all know what a prolific career JJ has had. Furthermore, DM was our highest profile recruit (the board has been talking about him for 2 years now). Maybe he's waiting until regular season to turn it on, but its not for a lack of shots.

I understand if DM wants to be a role player contributing 4.8 points a game, but how does that bode well for our future out of our #1 recruit?

That's actually pretty funny. I thought it was a B.S. call, especially in an exhibition game....

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Have you been to practice?

Have you attended the two games?

Have you ever played and shot the 3 ball?

Answers below:

1. obviously not because DM has shot well and looks very good as afuture possibility. he is not Tommie or Kevin but few recruits around the country are that good as freshman.

2. Over the past 5 years at least it has become obvious to me that our lack of practice time at Saavis/Scottrade has hurt our shooting. DM seems to need to adjust. This is a big building with a big background. Most of his shots look fine leaving his hand but he has not shot well yet. But these are the first two games of his entire carreer and now you declare him a bust. give me a break!

3. The answer is obviously no because you would know that any good shooter can have an off night or two and that would be particularly true of a young freshman seeing his first action in a new building. Even kevin had his problems early last year in some games and of course Tommie and DP really had problems last year.

How about if you give the young man a break and evaluate him after a year or two--not just two exhibition games.

I really watched his release last night and he is really awfully quick, I would even argue that he has a quicker release the Kevin. Now, as for accuracy.... But let's keep in mind this is a freshman who is probably pretty darn nervous out there. Can anyone comment on how he has been shooting in practice? His high school shooting percentages were awfully good from what I recall.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

REAL answers below:

1. No, I have not been to practice, but how many games do great practice players win?? Um, I can answer that confidently by saying NONE. So he looks good as a future possibility in practice. As Allen Iverson once eloquently stated, "We talkin about practice. PRACTICE!"

2. To think that the Scottrade center has an effect on shooting is rediculous. A basket is a basket is a basket - that's what warmups are for! He's missed wide open shots and so far, he's had plenty of opportunities. I am sick of this blind optimism on this board. And get serious, of course I've attended both games, how else would I know that DM is garbage.

3. In fact, I have made more 3 pointers at Scottrade then Dustin. Do you remember the A-10 shootout last year? Let me refresh your memory, that was me out there who sunk 3 after 3 winning the SLU championship and was sent to Cincy for the Conference Tourny to represent the school. I have never shot in the Scott before then and I seemed to have no problem with the "big building background." Its funny how my shooting percentage is exponentially higher the DM. GIVE ME A SCHOLARSHIP BRAD!!! I still have 4 years of eligibility left!

Listen, I want the Bills to do well, make the NCAA tourny, hell, even win the damn national championship. But please, please get serious here. DM would be a role player at UM-Rolla, dropping 6.7 points a game over his career. Maybe he will evolve into a decent bench player here, but I expected more from Brad S. this recruiting season.

Lets be Realistic here - 1. Nobody has raised observations/concerns about our recent recruiting than me and I would have to say that it is way too early to write Dustin off. 2. Dustin from all reports has demonstrated a quick and nice release both in practice and during the two games. Just because the shot is not falling does not mean that it won't. Dustin was also labeled a shooter by many during his high school and AAU time - things will not change that quickly. Unlike Polk and Luke, Dustin was never labeled a scorer - a scorer is one who gets his baskets lots of ways and not soley by perimeter shooting as Dustin had been reported doing. 3. Shooting a three with nobody guarding you is one thing but shooting a three with people trying to stop you and you having just run the length of the court after playing defense is something completely different. 4. Just curious - how did you do in Cincy?

>2. To think that the Scottrade center has an effect on

>shooting is rediculous. A basket is a basket is a basket -

>that's what warmups are for! He's missed wide open shots and

>so far, he's had plenty of opportunities. I am sick of this

>blind optimism on this board. And get serious, of course

>I've attended both games, how else would I know that DM is

>garbage.

>

actually, I have played in Scottrade (then Savvis or maybe even Kiel) at least three times that I can remember and shooting there is much different than shooting in a standard gym. The basket looks like it's 15 feet away when it's 20 feet away and the rim looks like it's 9 feet tall.

WOW! Just a neutral observation, but after just two ex. games, it seems like Realistic is being kinda hard on a young freshman! With the fantastic high school and AAU numbers this kid put up, he has proven that he has the potential to be a good player for SLU. I heard he played against some of the top players in the country at that Reebok ABCD Camp and was touted as one of the best shooters there...

I would definitely like to see him look to be a bigger threat to drive to the basket and maybe that would help him with the pull-up shot instead of just looking to catch and shoot.

IMO, it looks like he has some jitters. This is probably the first time he has ever had to come off the bench and quickly be able to get into a shooting rythym.

Give the young man a break. He was recruited for a reason.