Run, Brad, Run....shoot, Brad, shoot....

slu72

First of all you have Ian and your 4 trailing the play. Second and most important the games we lost last year were because we couldn't score. Anything that allows our shooters to get open shots will help us score. Brads defense will take care of itself. I'm not talking about Dwayne or Luke jacking up shots, but Danny and Kevin with Tommie taking it inside.

well said. UB said this morning that he really likes DB on the secondary break. He said Danny likes to get down the floor and toe up to the line.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of Slu72's bid to join the Billiken Blue Kool Aid Club

Which coach should be under the biggest scrutiny here?

Coach A, who coaches Team A. Team A plays however their opponent plays. He allows his opponent to dictate the tempo. How many teams are there like this? The top 10-15 programs, along with another 50-100. The top programs are successful 98% of the time because they have better athletes and better basketball players. How successful are the other 50-100 programs that play this way? My opinion is "not very" (with no facts to back it up).

Coach B, who coaches Team B. Coach B looks at each opponent and determines what is the best strategy to beat that opponent. Some nights you speed up the tempo, other times you slow it down.

So who is right? I think everyone on this board respects Martelli -- well, he's a coach B. I personally would rather have a coach that prepares his team for each opponent and has a game plan for each game. I think UB is in this category also. He realizes that he needs to score easy baskets (hence, push the ball). He realizes the benefits from this (recruiting, attendance, etc.). Don't expect to see a night/day difference with this team vs. last year. He continues to take little steps in this programs' progression. Last year they pushed the ball more than they did the previous year. This year there will again be an increase. But he also values every possession with the ball. Turnovers drive him crazy. Do you let some of these mistakes go unrecognized; my bet is that he points them all out. So 1 voice says "Go, go" while the other says "take care of the ball". There is a balancing act involved here.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun to watch when it all gets worked out. Meanwhile, I'll take the coach who has his team ready for the current game.

Skip - Clearly Nostic said everything I would have said in response to your post. He is probably correct in what is being said to the kids so then they get cautious particularily if they find themselves sitting after making a mistake or bad shot. You are also correct that confidence is important but you can not build confidence by saying we played 5 games last year like we want - never mind we played 20 games not that way at all - you tell me which side of the coin will be more implanted in the player's mind. The only reason you think what I am saying does not make sense is that you seem to only be able to see your side and do not listen to any point that is not supportive of your position. As I said, nobody is calling Brad a liar but as I said before, he clearly has trouble when he gets out of his comfort zone.

I think it is more the kid has trouble when he gets out of his comfort zone. When he is not successful ... he's not in his comfort zone.

what nostatic said isn't even in the ballpark of what you have been saying. I agree with what he says. You say you are not calling him a liar and then procede to say he is saying aloud he wants them to run, but really doesn't. That's lying.

Just like the guys who say I'm not judging ... and then procede to do just that.

My assertion is simple, Brad wants to push the tempo, the players inabilities prevented them from doing so. Imo ... a huge reason for this is confidence. Until you have success at something, you can say you are confident, but your actions will probably say different.

Maybe we are both thinking the same thing. Either you aren't stating what you mean well or I'm not comprehending well ... or a little of both.

it will give up threes when a guard doesnt explode out of the lane to his man receiving the ball. ie doesnt have a lisch attitude.

however, those same less than 110% defenders, at least wont give up the lane for easier baskets and rebounding position.

defense is as much if not more a mindset. for example, lisch is not a quicker player than polk, brown, or liddell, yet he is a far better defender than all three. if they played with his intensity, our pack wouldnt give up as many threes, and we could play man to man defense where we push out the perimeter.

same with a press. on a press, the weakside wing, has to cover the middle. if the ball is reversed, that weakside defender has to hold that middle until the other wing can recover to the middle. then he has to bust to the sideline to cut off the ball and stop the penetration. if the ball is then reversed, the same in reverse has to happen.

that is nothing more than a waste of time if you dont have the all out hustle from those two outside wings on a press.

and willie, i never said liddell was a bad defender. i said he isnt kevin lisch. however, with his athleticism and longer reach, liddell should be our best defending guard on the team. he has the tools, so why isnt he the better defender?

Skip - I don't know what it is I have to say but when Nostic says that Brad tells them to run but then turns around and says protect the ball at all costs then the kids get tentative. That kind of double language is my point. He is not a liar but his words and actions tell two stories - that is what I mean about him or anybody for that matter having trouble being out of their comfort zone. Because you are so defensive about Brad that you are not listening to what others are trying to say. Finally, I am willing to wait until January to pass judgment are you?

nostatic didn't say Brad told them to protect the ball at all costs. Turnovers are a part of basketball, the more possesions you have the more you will turn it over. What he said was turnovers and the fact that when he told them to run and they didn't it frustrated Brad. It seems that you are so convinced he won't run ... you read things to fit what you want to say. Nostatic didn't even come close to saying what you wanted him to have said. Where did you get at all costs?

No one that I have ever heard including me thinks that UB wants them to run at all costs. He wants them to push the ball and of course he wants to keep turnovers to a minnimum. Every coach does. Imo what has stopped them from doing so in the past is just what I have said all alonf a lack of the ability to push it without making too many mistakes and a the lack of confidence that goes along with that. It sounds to me that is what nostatic said also. (realizing his is just an opinion also)

Of course in Jan we will know ... it still doesn't mean we can't argue now

"While i consider myself a charter member of the tommie

liddell club, tommie isnt turning any nba heads with his

defense".

Come on Roy, you are only looking at half the equation. Ask Kevin to defend guys that outweigh him from 20 to 60lbs in the post. Chase guys around the perimeter after banging with forwards for nearly 7 rpg. What's the reward for that, fans complaining about your defense and Coach Soderberg telling you to bring the ball upcourt. That has to take a toll. So Tommie has to pick his spot. Some of those spots I recall is knocking the ball free when Charlotte was going for the tie at the end of regulation. Tommie getting the big rebound and stickback vs Temple at Savvis. Leading the head of some hellacious team defense vs A. Morrison.

jalejarr you give a very plausible explanation. hopefully our new power forwards make it less necessary that tommie needs to hang around the defensive basket and guard opposing power forwards.

the biggest difference this team can see of tommie liddell is to actually let him be a true guard in every sense of the word.

thanks for reminding me of tommie's peril of playing darn near every position but his own.

I agree we just need DP to be DP, BUT if his shooting is as bad as last year or as in the UMSL game, then I want him to "just be DP" for 10 minutes a game. You can't afford to have a starting 1,2 or 3 who cannot shoot-it just allows the other team to fall back on IV or otherwise clog the middle to keep TL and others from penetrating. I know DP had a fair number of assists Friday but none that I saw that truly caused a basket to occur, and if he can't at least penetrate and dish out for an open perimeter shot then he is just too much of a liability on offense to get major minutes.

I hope he finds his shot and EARNS 20-25 minutes per game, but I see little to convince me that that will happen.

I think we mostly agree, but I think even if his outside shot is poor, we can get a good 15-20 mpg from Dwayne. Especially if we are truly pushing the ball. I disagree about his assists, all assists directly lead to the basket. Without the pass the basket doesn't hapen. One I remember and saw again on the rplay, he hit Tommie cutting to the basket with a nice bounce pass on a break and TL got the layup

Lets just hope he is shooting better and this discussion becomes moot.